242 posts in this topic

On March 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

In no way at all is today's performance concerning. Have to be joking considering what Stoke were trying (and allowed) to do today.

Fair enough about the physicality of Stoke's approach. Personally, I prefer to focus on what we did and the reality is that we are not exactly putting in tremendous performances. I am trying to remember the last time we looked like a team that could easily deserve a 3 or 4 nil scoreline.

We are certainly consistent though in terms of results.

2 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Which is what winning the Prem is all about, isn't it? Results, and points. You don't get any extra points for 'style', although tbf I think that for a lot of the season, we've been pretty stylish, too. Sure, we've had games where we've had to grind it out, but then all teams who go on to win the Prem, have to do that.

It probably helps the style content when the flair players aren't consistently being launched into the stands by the opposition whilst the referee studiously ignores it.

Winning at Spam and Stoke at this stage of the season requires fight, character, organisation, spirit and grit; traits that I think are the fundamentals of what makes football beautiful. I consider our 0-0 CL draw at Barcelona in 2009 a great example of that. Sadly the ignorant media think these attributes make the team negative and defensive. But without them you don't have a team. What Kantè contributes in midfield is as artistic as anything Eden does, in my view. 

8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Fair enough about the physicality of Stoke's approach. Personally, I prefer to focus on what we did and the reality is that we are not exactly putting in tremendous performances. I am trying to remember the last time we looked like a team that could easily deserve a 3 or 4 nil scoreline.

A bit tough to 'play football' (Conte's phrase that is synonymous with 'flair') when the opposition's preferred tactic is to continually foul both of our leading goal scorers (Hazard and Costa) knowing fully well that their chances of seeing a red card is super slim!

In that situation, what are you left with? Keep in mind that the #1 objective is to win the league.

8 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I think there have been a few 3 or 4-0 scorelines where we dominated no more than on Saturday.  You will concede the odd goal in PL football.  If that happens before we score 2 (and mostly we take our time about it), then games will look close.  The only disappointment for me is that we didn't bring on Fabregas earlier (or better at the start).  I think he only needs 30 mins to win this type of game, so why wait.

In fairness, once we score or take a lead, we usually go into counter attacking mode. Given that we take the lead more often than not, that suggests lots of opportunity for counter attacking which is the case. But what the critics disregard (and the same was true of Italy in the last Euros) is we generally start games on the front foot looking to take that lead. In summary, we attack until we take a lead then counter. Depending on who's looking at the glass cup, its either half full or half empty. Either way, I don't care as long as the results keep rolling in.

I'm sure I read that the most common score line in football is 3-1 and it's due to the counter attack , one team takes the lead 1-0 , the other team strives to equalize gets caught on the counter 2-0 , the leading team relax a little seeing as they are 2-0 up , lose focus and 2-1 , the losing team , re-double their efforts to try and equalize and get caught again 3-1.

I'm with MikelBlue , we generally look to score first and then try and sucker the other side in.

Counter attacking football is fine , that great Ronaldo inspired United side did it all game long although it was portrayed in the media as a constant maelstrom of attacking football but what's new there?

9 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Surely this was the definition of it?

Apart from the two goals you had:

1) Alonso's right footed effort from the penalty spot in the first half. A foot either side and its a goal.

2) Alonso's free kick hitting the bar.

3) Pedro's left footed effort forcing a great save.

4) Costa hitting the post.

5) RLC forcing a great save late on.

And Stoke created nothing, only scoring because of a very soft penalty. Could easily and deservedly been 3 or 4-0.

Get in. Great result and one of those title clinching away days you don't forget (similar to Blackburn 05, Liverpool 10, and QPR 15). 

It's been said already but Stoke were nasty. Their entire back 4 as well as Cameron put in one snide tackle after another. I blame the ref though; he allowed it to happen. Clamp down early and they would have either taken a step back or had someone sent off. Instead it was allowed to continue. In retrospect it's good Hazard didn't play this one; he would have been broken in half.

Some thoughts:

1) Let's start off with individuals and look no further than Luiz. What a performance. That was honestly one of the best performances at CB I've seen in some time. Intercepted everything, tackled everything, and passed the ball beautifully. It was the sort of manic day in windy conditions that could have been difficult for him to maintain control but he did so with grace and class. Fabulous performance. MOTM.

2) It's become the norm now, but Kante was brilliant again. You can tell Conte's been working on his forward passing because he played some wonderful through balls that could have resulted in goals. So happy for Cahill too. IMO there's no way that was a penalty so it was great to see him get the winner. He's truly the unsung hero of this campaign. Thought Costa was very good too, after a testy first half. Worked his arse off as usual and despite being targeted, he held his own in the physical battles. He's one of the reasons you can't kick us off the park. There's too much resilience, too much fortitude.

3) That resilience and fortitude comes straight from the manager. Love Antonio. He does not back down. Will change formation 3 times in 15 minutes if need be. You could see what the winner meant to him...and straight to the fans right after. It's not for show, it's not for the cameras. He feels it, he means it. 

4) Spurs aside, good set of results for us. City are now out of it, so only one side remains. 10 clear with 10 to go? I know 21 is the max we need but I reckon around 15-16 points will do it. We're getting closer...