242 posts in this topic

After the war of attrition against UTD at last we get to play a footballing side. (ahem)

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Cesc Fabregas to start please!

Yes, I think so. Didn't have the best game against West Ham, and whilst Stoke are equally physical, I don't think they'll press as high as the Hammers did. They'll likely sit off and defend their half, leaving Crouch up top and look to maximize set pieces, as they did at the Bridge.

Using the Bridge as a reference, it would be difficult to drop Willian, seeing as he did get a brace against them, but how do you keep Pedro out?

The last two wins (West Ham & Swansea) were a massive 6 points, and another win here would further deflate the chasing pack.

Having said that, a draw wouldn't be the worst result, but you know that Conte won't settle for anything other than a win.  

Guessing the team this year is becoming fairly boring!

Choice of Fabregas or Matic and suspect Pedro comes back in. 

If Moses is out, Azpi at RWB and Zouma at RCB. 

Stoke have only lost 1 game in the last 12 in the EPL at home.

I would hope either Zouma or Ake can be used to reshuffle the defence.

39 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Stoke have only lost 1 game in the last 12 in the EPL at home.

I would hope either Zouma or Ake can be used to reshuffle the defence.

Agreed if Moses is out I would personally prefer Ake with Azpi moving to RWB and us keeping the height at the back similar.  Think Zouma is more likely to come in though especially given our troubles against Crouch in the home game. 

Stoke are not quite the in your face, long ball team they used to be and Cesc was actually selected in the home game so I expect another start on Saturday. Pedro in for Willian and the rest as usual. Thank god we've finally got a Saturday game I hate having to watch the other teams then wait until Monday. 

If we can win we would then provisionally go 13 points clear with City hosting Liverpool and Spurs hosting Southampton but without Kane. Both should be tough games and the pressure will be on if we can do our job first. 

2 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

Pedro at RWB?

I'd go for Willian - much more of a Moses type and probably should be starting here instead of Moses.  Especially if we get more options for front 3 players next season.

Pedro is effective at FB, either side, when used in an attacking mode - he gets forward even faster than Moses.  But I don't see him as effective in the usual play mode.

I think that Zouma is the logical choice to replace Moses as he seems to have become our 14th first team player:

12. Fabregas or Matic

13. Willian or Pedro

14. Zouma

15. Batshuayi 

16+. The rest...

I think this is a tricky away game coming off the back of a win in a big game really need a focused team for this one. Perhaps time for Costa to refind his best form.