242 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

In fairness, once we score or take a lead, we usually go into counter attacking mode. Given that we take the lead more often than not, that suggests lots of opportunity for counter attacking which is the case. But what the critics disregard (and the same was true of Italy in the last Euros) is we generally start games on the front foot looking to take that lead. In summary, we attack until we take a lead then counter. Depending on who's looking at the glass cup, its either half full or half empty. Either way, I don't care as long as the results keep rolling in.

What critics would that be? Honestly, I'm very curious to know. Are there anyone who are being critical of us? 

I must certainly have missed that then. Care to link to a critical story of our way of playing? 

I noticed on MOTD+ on the Sunday that Henry Winter of the Times said that Costa had done well not to react as he had been kicked all over the park.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

What critics would that be? Honestly, I'm very curious to know. Are there anyone who are being critical of us? 

I must certainly have missed that then. Care to link to a critical story of our way of playing? 

Totally pointless post if I may say Dave. 

As is this one to be honest.

Edited by Sea foot

4 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

In fairness, once we score or take a lead, we usually go into counter attacking mode. Given that we take the lead more often than not, that suggests lots of opportunity for counter attacking which is the case. But what the critics disregard (and the same was true of Italy in the last Euros) is we generally start games on the front foot looking to take that lead. In summary, we attack until we take a lead then counter. Depending on who's looking at the glass cup, its either half full or half empty. Either way, I don't care as long as the results keep rolling in.

No we don't.  We start cautiously and remain cautious until we go a goal down or we get to 65 mins and are still even.  By about 75 mins Fabregas comes on.

17 hours ago, Galol said:

The behaviour of Stoke is the direct byproduct of the incompetence of PL referees. I know Stoke City has history of thuggish behaviour but what would you expect from lower teams when big name teams like Man United are allowed to literally injure players as part of their game tactics. That's all United did in the FA Cup tie - kick all game and the ref did nothing. Something has to be done about this or we'll soon see key players succumbing to injury after injury. 

You're 100% right, which is why English football and the National team will struggle to ever be at the same technical level of Spain, Italy, Germany etc. Technically good players are lost to the game due to being too small, and if anyone has the nerve to dribble past a defender, you get whacked for your trouble. Fairly certain that is what cost us Robben back in the day. Fed up of being kicked. Yes, it makes for a great "spectacle" and keeps games competitive, which is why the PL is the most interesting to watch, but at the highest level, we suffer. Can you imagine how many red cards Bardsley would get playing in La Liga. He would have a lot of time off. 

7 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

. I consider our 0-0 CL draw at Barcelona in 2009 a great example of that. Sadly the ignorant media think these attributes make the team negative and defensive. But without them you don't have a team. 

One day people will realise how good our results in Barca have been. The 0-0 in 2009 and of course the 2-2 in 2012 (also another 2-2 in 06/07 in the group stage with Hilario in nets) 

Every time City or Arsenal play them, they have their pants pulled down, and nobody comments on our performances / results. 

8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No we don't.  We start cautiously and remain cautious until we go a goal down or we get to 65 mins and are still even.  By about 75 mins Fabregas comes on.

here we go..........

We have scored a LOT of very early goals in matches this season. And we have been behind how many times? 4?

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I just heard some halfwit journalist on Talksport describe us as "clinical" (used as a dirty word, as a comparison against the glorious advert for football that was City vs Liverpool) and he then said he would "stop short of calling them cynical". Which obviously meant that he didn't stop short of that at all.

4 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Get in. Great result and one of those title clinching away days you don't forget (similar to Blackburn 05, Liverpool 10, and QPR 15). 

It's been said already but Stoke were nasty. Their entire back 4 as well as Cameron put in one snide tackle after another. I blame the ref though; he allowed it to happen. Clamp down early and they would have either taken a step back or had someone sent off. Instead it was allowed to continue. In retrospect it's good Hazard didn't play this one; he would have been broken in half.

Some thoughts:

1) Let's start off with individuals and look no further than Luiz. What a performance. That was honestly one of the best performances at CB I've seen in some time. Intercepted everything, tackled everything, and passed the ball beautifully. It was the sort of manic day in windy conditions that could have been difficult for him to maintain control but he did so with grace and class. Fabulous performance. MOTM.

2) It's become the norm now, but Kante was brilliant again. You can tell Conte's been working on his forward passing because he played some wonderful through balls that could have resulted in goals. So happy for Cahill too. IMO there's no way that was a penalty so it was great to see him get the winner. He's truly the unsung hero of this campaign. Thought Costa was very good too, after a testy first half. Worked his arse off as usual and despite being targeted, he held his own in the physical battles. He's one of the reasons you can't kick us off the park. There's too much resilience, too much fortitude.

3) That resilience and fortitude comes straight from the manager. Love Antonio. He does not back down. Will change formation 3 times in 15 minutes if need be. You could see what the winner meant to him...and straight to the fans right after. It's not for show, it's not for the cameras. He feels it, he means it. 

4) Spurs aside, good set of results for us. City are now out of it, so only one side remains. 10 clear with 10 to go? I know 21 is the max we need but I reckon around 15-16 points will do it. We're getting closer... 

This is a fantastic post, agree with absolutely all of it.

1 minute ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

This is a fantastic post, agree with absolutely all of it.

Ditto. Whilst on the topic of Luiz, I read someone suggest that if he was English and had a crew cut, he would be regarded by almost everyone as the best CB in the PL and one of the best in Europe. Agree with that entirely. He has been immense since coming back. 

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

here we go..........

We have scored a LOT of very early goals in matches this season. And we have been behind how many times? 4?

FWIW - The table below shows the timings of our goals, not sure what it proves.

From my own perspective, I see us as being a fitter side than last season. Stoke were out on their feet after about 55mins on Saturday and apart from a 5 minute spell at about 75mins, we dominated them in the 2nd half. Pieters especially, was blowing out of his rear-end from about the 65th minute, I'd put his error for our winning goal down to his exhaustion. If Conte has done nothing else, he's made us into a 94 minute side (and he's done a fair bit else as well, in my view).

Scored-Conceded/15 min    Scored-Conc./10 min    Leading/Trailing    Goal types    Goals by half

Overall  0-15 16-30 31-45 46-60 61-75 76-90      1st half 2nd half
 Arsenal 6 - 5 7 - 5 9 - 4 9 - 8 9 - 6 16 - 6   22 - 14 34 - 20
 Bournemouth 6 - 7 6 - 11 9 - 5 5 - 9 5 - 11 11 - 11   21 - 23 21 - 31
 Burnley 6 - 5 4 - 3 4 - 9 3 - 7 6 - 9 8 - 9   14 - 17 17 - 25
 Chelsea 8 - 3 8 - 2 9 - 6 10 - 5 10 - 2 14 - 3   25 - 11 34 - 10
 Crystal Palace 2 - 4 4 - 5 4 - 13 6 - 2 8 - 9 12 - 13   10 - 22 26 - 24
 Everton 3 - 4 4 - 6 11 - 5 7 - 6 4 - 5 22 - 4   18 - 15 33 - 15
 Hull City 2 - 5 2 - 5 4 - 8 3 - 8 8 - 12 7 - 20   8 - 18 18 - 40
 Leicester City 5 - 7 4 - 3 7 - 15 8 - 6 2 - 6 7 - 10   16 - 25 17 - 22
 Liverpool 4 - 4 15 - 5 12 - 7 13 - 6 11 - 7 6 - 7   31 - 16 30 - 20
 Manchester City 6 - 7 8 - 2 9 - 3 8 - 6 9 - 5 14 - 7   23 - 12 31 - 18
 Manchester Utd 2 - 3 6 - 3 13 - 3 5 - 1 6 - 6 10 - 7   21 - 9 21 - 14