242 posts in this topic

When Willian seemed to be the only Chelsea "trying" he dropped back and was forever t harassing opponents and winning the ball back or disrupting oppo play, Oversimplification I know but could be a good choice as Wb IF he sticks at that and doesn't "wander"

Stoke always a difficult game.

10 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

Pedro at RWB?

Not against a solid side like Stoke. Pedro at RWB is more useful in games where we'll be dominate for large periods and the opposition won't threaten too much - aka lower league cup games. Against competitive sides we're better off making use of Azpi at RWB, with Zouma the likely CB option to come in. He'd also offer us some much needed extra height down back against a Stoke side that will go long to Crouch. 

Ake could be in with a chance at RWB if Conte prefers to not break up his back three. Although, I'd prefer the Zouma option and a small reshuffle. The benefit of Ake would be a more comfortable player with ball at feet. 

2 hours ago, zaffo said:

Ake could be in with a chance at RWB if Conte prefers to not break up his back three. Although, I'd prefer the Zouma option and a small reshuffle. The benefit of Ake would be a more comfortable player with ball at feet. 

Ake is such a left-footed, left-sided player, I simply can't see him doing the job on the right, or indeed, feeling comfortable with ball at feet out there. I think  Zouma at RCB, with Azpi at RWB, is the best option tbh.

22 hours ago, zaffo said:

Calf? Odd, I swear he was clutching his foot? 

If he's out, I suspect a slight reshuffle with Azpi at RWB and either Zouma/Terry at CB. 

Oh not Terry for this one please.  Mark Hughes is an expert in targeting your weakest link.  

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'd go for Willian - much more of a Moses type and probably should be starting here instead of Moses.  Especially if we get more options for front 3 players next season.

Pedro is effective at FB, either side, when used in an attacking mode - he gets forward even faster than Moses.  But I don't see him as effective in the usual play mode.

Pedro is not quick enough in the sprint, it would be a weakness that can be exploited.

He is quick over short sprints yet not the longer ones that are required by wide backs.

9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Oh not Terry for this one please.  Mark Hughes is an expert in targeting your weakest link.  

Which is why Stoke are riding high in the table....??

9 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Pedro is not quick enough in the sprint, it would be a weakness that can be exploited.

He is quick over short sprints yet not the longer ones that are required by wide backs.

He has done pretty well in that role when called upon this season, albeit largely against lower league teams. 

I think Mark Hughes would look to exploit Pedro playing at wide back. 

11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Ake is such a left-footed, left-sided player, I simply can't see him doing the job on the right, or indeed, feeling comfortable with ball at feet out there. I think  Zouma at RCB, with Azpi at RWB, is the best option tbh.

True, but it's an option I suppose nonetheless. Although, don't think we're that desperate. But I agree I'd prefer Azpi at RWB and then Zouma at CB. That would be my overall choice. 

Or Azpi at RWB, Cahill at RCB then Ake on the left of the three. That would be my preference. 

I sincerely hope the Pedro wing back experiment is over now, he got absolutely destroyed by Helder Costa in the Wolves game. The reason he has played so well this season is because he is so high up the pitch. He is able to make dangerous runs in behind and utilise he key strength which is directness and finishing ability. I would really worry about what Arnautovic or Shaqiri might do to him. 

Let's remember how poor he was last year playing deeper on the right and being asked to track the opposition full back. He is a great presser of the ball when on the front foot but not so great running in the other direction. This is also a key reason why I feel we've struggled at RW for so many years. I actually think someone such as Salah had the same issue and you can see how well he's doing at Roma now he is higher up the pitch and scaring teams with his pace on the last defender. 

Willian on the other hand was a JM favourite and the only player to truly play well on the right of the 4231. His skill set is more geared to towards recycling possession and he is far less direct meaning he is better suited to a deeper position. He has also shown he can hold down the right side when Costa, Fabregas, Hazard ect all drift to the left.

I was convinced he would be the choice for the back up wing back and would still like to see this tried although I think the time to do this was in the early FA cup rounds rather than vital PL games. This is why I would lean towards the safety of Azpi at wing back and with Cesc, Hazard, Pedro and Diego up ahead we should have enough firepower.

1 person likes this

Top 5 hardest remaining fixture this. I won't be too disappointed if we don't come back with 3 points but hoping for the best!