242 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, zaffo said:

Although unlikely, would really be tempted to see Costa partnered with Bats or possibly dropped altogether. Might seem harsh, but I think it would give him a little bit of a kick up the backside after being largely average of late.

His touch may not have been as sharp in recent weeks but you cannot underestimate his value leading the line. He is still getting into goal scoring positions and there's a reason Batshuayi is not trusted to lead the line. He's very inexperienced playing as a lone striker and even struggled to hold up the ball against Brentford. On Monday Costa occupied Smalling and Rojo on whilst they were pulling his shirt and kicking lumps out of him. He still made a nuisance of himself and should've had two goals. I would bet Michy wouldn't have been in position for either of those chances.  Costa has always been a streaky player, we need to keep faith and understand that his next hot streak is round the corner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Please explain. 

Stoke have won 9 matches this season. All of them against teams below them in the table.

All of our wins have been against teams below us in the table too :-)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moses confirmed fit

2 players are doubts apparently but they are not being named. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

All of our wins have been against teams below us in the table too :-)

Ver ver good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McCreadie said:

All of our wins have been against teams below us in the table too :-)

Very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Please explain. 

Stoke have won 9 matches this season. All of them against teams below them in the table. 

Their record against the top 6 is quite simply, awful. 

You are making the same point that I have already responded to. Obviously Stoke are not a top side, but once they get their game plan going, they would nick points from you. I will show you some stats

Manchester United 1:1 Stoke City   2nd October 2016
Stoke City 1: 1 Manchester United  21 January 2017
Manchester City 1: 1 Stoke City 8 March 2017

They have robbed top six clubs of 6 points. 

In comparison, Burnely who denied us a win, have only managed one win and and one draw against top 6 sides, and they sit 3 places below Stoke City.

What is more important is that Mark Hughes has got those draws from the top 6 sides that he is familiar with. For better or worse, we belong to that group.

Mark Hughes would put simply put a fast player on JT, try to isolate him and force errors in counter attack. he would draw fouls and frustration from JT leading to bookings. 

 

Edited by Blue Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A draw isn't a disastrous result but a win could be huge here. 

Expect a big performance, effort-wise at the least. As always, if we play our best we will win, regardless of whatever Stoke do. Give them nothing.

COME ON YOU CHELS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

His touch may not have been as sharp in recent weeks but you cannot underestimate his value leading the line. He is still getting into goal scoring positions and there's a reason Batshuayi is not trusted to lead the line. He's very inexperienced playing as a lone striker and even struggled to hold up the ball against Brentford. On Monday Costa occupied Smalling and Rojo on whilst they were pulling his shirt and kicking lumps out of him. He still made a nuisance of himself and should've had two goals. I would bet Michy wouldn't have been in position for either of those chances.  Costa has always been a streaky player, we need to keep faith and understand that his next hot streak is round the corner.  

His touch has been rather poor of late to be fair, his retention of possession has fallen from where it was earlier in the season, and he's being dispossessed more frequently. He's also not getting into good enough areas imo to get himself enough shots. The odd opening he has been getting he tends to try to do to much and loses the ball or makes an incomplete pass. From memory he's had 7 shots in total in his last 3 games. While he's been a physical presence, I don't think his overall game has been at the level it was earlier in the season or needs to be. There's improvement to he had.

I'm not suggesting we cast him aside or anything. I'd just like to see him either get a little extra help with a proper partner upfront. Or to mix it up and bring him on from the bench, just to keep him on his toes. His overall play has obviously been good and I have no problems with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 6:07 PM, R2FU99 said:

At least one from Costa for his 50th goal.

I don't see why we can't win this. Playing fantastic at the moment.

We could really use Costa getting on the scoresheet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costa has been very poor lately, the worst in the team for consecutive matches. If Batshuayi is so poor that he can't even get a look in, then I don't know why we have kept him. He is not creating, he is not scoring (missing sitter) and he is not assisting, he is not moving to give Hazard or Pedro, or even Fabregas, the options for a pass. We can always milk out positives from his performance. But at this level there is no need to scrape the barrell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.