Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Crystal Palace 2

184 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If we lose to City the media will be all over him and the club. 

It suddenly feels quite pivotal this game. Win it and we go on to win the title, make some good signings in the summer and challenge hard for PL and CL next year. Lose it, bottle the title away against West Brom, watch Spurs gloating, miss out on the summer targets, start next season in average form, Conte gone by the end of January.

Am I catastrophising, by any chance?

17 hours ago, Ham said:

Monkey Head on Match of the Day thought that Palace deserved not to concede a penalty and have Townsend sent off because of their defensive efforts.

Does he not understand that their defensive display was boosted by not conceding from the penalty and playing 80 minutes with ten men? 

How is he stealing a living on TV?

I didn't catch MOTD last night.  Are you talking about Martin Keown?

I can stomach Lee Dixon on ITV but him..............just awful.

5 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Yes indeed jane hard to believe he was a top class player.

25 minutes ago, JaneB said:

Yep.  Keown.  The unacceptable face of football. 

The only pundit worse than him is another gooner, Winterburn, who cannot even speak properly.

I still think we were complacent. Shocking to see at this stage of the season and in such a pivotal game. Lose to Citeh and it's 4 points. 

8 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

I still think we were complacent. Shocking to see at this stage of the season and in such a pivotal game. Lose to Citeh and it's 4 points. 

Difficult , we started well , scored early and I'm sure there was a bit of the old "we'll piss this" attitude amongst some , then it becomes a trying too hard to equalise exercise.

Costa is a worry because he seems so short of confidence rather than effort , although he was a tad immobile for my liking , having watched it back two or three times now on any other day a competent ref ( what's that?) would have deservedly given the penalty and sent off Townsend and we would have buried them.

Eleven shots on target and one goal , can't see that happening again.

Hazard and Fabregas were excellent throughout , we were let down by some  "Keystone Kops"  defending , where we looked to be knocking each other out of the way at times with Cahill absolutely woeful throughout.

We have enough in the tank , I think we will beat City if we are at our best , they looked fantastic for fifteen minutes yesterday but soon faded , they're not a 90 minute side at the moment whereas we are.

Just predict 1-1 and we're golden ;-)

Disappointing. Frustrating. Annoying.

The old cliche about being 'one of those days' tends to be used a lot, and fortunately we haven't experienced many of those in the recent past, so I suppose it was coming. Hopefully it's the last time this season it rears its ugly head.

Some thoughts:

1) In the past, I've been effusive about individual performances so I suppose it's only fair to highlight performances that haven't been satisfactory. I thought Cahill was poor. I'll forgive the first goal, as there were 4 guys around Zaha who somehow managed to squeeze a shot through the lot of them. The second goal was terrible though. Gary did his familiar back pedaling, to such a frantic effect that he was twisting and turning so much that he didn't know where the ball was. Very poor. 

2) I thought Matic was average as well, though I don't understand why he played in the first place. To be honest, I thought Conte got it wrong starting with a 3-5-2. We haven't started with it all season, rather we've used it to shut games down. I don't think the players were entirely sure how to position themselves in a 3-5-2 when we're on the front foot. The 3 in midfield seemed disorganized and for the first time since we moved to 3 in the back, there was space between the midfield and defense. Think Conte got a bit cute for this game. I don't see us starting with a 3-5-2 again this season.

3) Let's look at some positives: we played well. It would be a worry if this was a poor performance, but it wasn't. We were sharp, moved the ball well, and showed great desire to get back into the game. As mentioned, it was one of those games where the ball just wouldn't go in. It wasn't for a lack of trying, and that bodes well for the future.

4) Arsenal did us a favour yesterday, so with City still 11 points behind (and 8 points behind even if they beat us), it still looks like Spurs are our only challengers. Unfortunately, they keep winning (it's 4 in a row now) so Wednesday becomes that much more important. We need to keep the lead to 7 and above. If it drops to 5 or lower, things become very tight and nervy. It was never going to be easy, and I suppose a blip was always on the cards. This week, with 3 games in 7 days was always going to be vital. We need to win the next 2 games. It's time to keep our nerve.

4 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Disappointing. Frustrating. Annoying.

The old cliche about being 'one of those days' tends to be used a lot, and fortunately we haven't experienced many of those in the recent past, so I suppose it was coming. Hopefully it's the last time this season it rears its ugly head.

Some thoughts:

1) In the past, I've been effusive about individual performances so I suppose it's only fair to highlight performances that haven't been satisfactory. I thought Cahill was poor. I'll forgive the first goal, as there were 4 guys around Zaha who somehow managed to squeeze a shot through the lot of them. The second goal was terrible though. Gary did his familiar back pedaling, to such a frantic effect that he was twisting and turning so much that he didn't know where the ball was. Very poor. 

2) I thought Matic was average as well, though I don't understand why he played in the first place. To be honest, I thought Conte got it wrong starting with a 3-5-2. We haven't started with it all season, rather we've used it to shut games down. I don't think the players were entirely sure how to position themselves in a 3-5-2 when we're on the front foot. The 3 in midfield seemed disorganized and for the first time since we moved to 3 in the back, there was space between the midfield and defense. Think Conte got a bit cute for this game. I don't see us starting with a 3-5-2 again this season.

3) Let's look at some positives: we played well. It would be a worry if this was a poor performance, but it wasn't. We were sharp, moved the ball well, and showed great desire to get back into the game. As mentioned, it was one of those games where the ball just wouldn't go in. It wasn't for a lack of trying, and that bodes well for the future.

4) Arsenal did us a favour yesterday, so with City still 11 points behind (and 8 points behind even if they beat us), it still looks like Spurs are our only challengers. Unfortunately, they keep winning (it's 4 in a row now) so Wednesday becomes that much more important. We need to keep the lead to 7 and above. If it drops to 5 or lower, things become very tight and nervy. It was never going to be easy, and I suppose a blip was always on the cards. This week, with 3 games in 7 days was always going to be vital. We need to win the next 2 games. It's time to keep our nerve.

Excellent post.  Spot on. 

On 01/04/2017 at 5:31 PM, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

If we throw this away now, then conte better watch his back,Roman won't be happy, 

NO WAY WILL SPURS WIN ALL THEIR REMAINING GAMES,

KANE IS OUT INJURED

they have Swansea,Leicester,palace,West Ham and Hull away

also Watford,Bournemouth, ARSENAL and MAN UTD at home, 

Spuds have a lot of games against teams with something to play for, be it top four or relegation. I can see them bottling quite a few of those games and maybe not even ending up runners up.

42 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

It was never going to be easy, and I suppose a blip was always on the cards.

A blip is now called after one game? This is not Scotland and we are Chelsea, not Celtic.