Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Manchester City 1

207 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Home games left for us, Boro, Sunderland, Southampton and Watford. 

Just need to gain a few from the remaining aways and we are fine

Yep, true Paul and thanks for the encouragement, although the Southampton game is no gimmee and the away fixtures are tough.

Now if only Spurs would do us a favour......

*Chelsea cling on*

*Costa let off*

Business as usual.

I love Antonio.  Still struggling with his English so nothing controversial or nasty comes out.  It might be a bit predictable but nice not to be holding my breath..... 

Every game gonna be hard. Hate to use the cliché but they really are all Finals. 

I am thrilled about last night but it makes the Palarse result even more unnecessary. 

9 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Thought we were much better first half BEFORE the change. 

Agreed.  Although part of that was that City was playing something like 451, swamping us in midfield but not having anyone up front to take advantage.  As it got closer to the end, they pushed players forward and became more dangerous.  

And then 3 of their best 2nd half chances came when the man-marker lost the opponent he was marking and let him have a free shot on goal - including the late Stones big miss.
If we are playing the Conte counter-attack game (certainly reasonable tactics with our big lead and against City) then there is little point having Fabregas instead of Pedro as one of the break-away runners, or not having Fabregas deep to set them up.

(And yes of course this is criticism of Conte - he has got the CMs wrong for a long long time now, and most fans agree with this).

24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

(And yes of course this is criticism of Conte 

Of course it is.

Thought that one thing that last night did perhaps show us was that Zouma is going to struggle in a back three.

Might be a case of him out and Christensen back in next season, good footballer that fella is looking and with ability on the ball and passing that would knit into and be well-suited in a three.

Get in. Big, big win. Doesn't matter how we get the points, just need to keep racking them up. Nervy game, especially with events elsewhere, but we held our nerve and put in a performance that reeks of champions.

Some thoughts:

1) Individuals first and let's look no further than Hazard. Perhaps we've become accustomed to his ridiculous balance, acceleration and ball control, but it's no less remarkable every time it's on display. He's a phenomenal talent who does amazing things with the ball. We're privileged to have him and should really appreciate what we have. From Cooke to Nevin to Zola to Robben to Hazard, there are some that just stand out that little bit more.

2) I criticized them a few days ago and will praise them now. Cahill was very solid. It's the type of backs to the wall performance that he tends to revel in and he certainly did. He's bounced back again, which indicates a strong character. Thought Matic added some real solidity as well. Tactically, he's an intelligent player who fills space and directs play to less dangerous areas. Thought he really stifled Silva when he came on.

3) This was probably the earliest we've switched to 3-5-2 and once again it's proven effective in shutting down the game. I was a bit nervous with Pedro at RWB but he coped well, especially with the outstanding Azpi guiding him from behind. A 3rd goal would have left us all feeling a lot more comfortable, but we managed the game well. Conte got it right today. He's a thinking manager who reacts quickly and isn't afraid to adjust accordingly. That's vital, as we need him to be on his A game for the run in.

4) Speaking of the run in, that's another important 3 points in the bank. At most we need 18 now, so that's 6 wins and 2 losses, or 5 wins and 3 draws. The latter seems entirely feasible, and that's assuming Spurs win out, which I highly doubt they will. Something like 13-15 points will be enough IMO, but of course, it's one game at a time. 

8 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Get in. Big, big win. Doesn't matter how we get the points, just need to keep racking them up. Nervy game, especially with events elsewhere, but we held our nerve and put in a performance that reeks of champions.

Some thoughts:

1) Individuals first and let's look no further than Hazard. Perhaps we've become accustomed to his ridiculous balance, acceleration and ball control, but it's no less remarkable every time it's on display. He's a phenomenal talent who does amazing things with the ball. We're privileged to have him and should really appreciate what we have. From Cooke to Nevin to Zola to Robben to Hazard, there are some that just stand out that little bit more.

2) I criticized them a few days ago and will praise them now. Cahill was very solid. It's the type of backs to the wall performance that he tends to revel in and he certainly did. He's bounced back again, which indicates a strong character. Thought Matic added some real solidity as well. Tactically, he's an intelligent player who fills space and directs play to less dangerous areas. Thought he really stifled Silva when he came on.

3) This was probably the earliest we've switched to 3-5-2 and once again it's proven effective in shutting down the game. I was a bit nervous with Pedro at RWB but he coped well, especially with the outstanding Azpi guiding him from behind. A 3rd goal would have left us all feeling a lot more comfortable, but we managed the game well. Conte got it right today. He's a thinking manager who reacts quickly and isn't afraid to adjust accordingly. That's vital, as we need him to be on his A game for the run in.

4) Speaking of the run in, that's another important 3 points in the bank. At most we need 18 now, so that's 6 wins and 2 losses, or 5 wins and 3 draws. The latter seems entirely feasible, and that's assuming Spurs win out, which I highly doubt they will. Something like 13-15 points will be enough IMO, but of course, it's one game at a time. 

Excellent post.  Agreeing with your post saves me the bother of arguing with a previous poster whose view on the game was so biased it was a re-writing of history. 

3 hours ago, jones said:

How people are exaggerating! Obvious that Costa wants out? Based on what? And has he really been that bad? He was doubled down by Stones and Delph Yesterday, who gave him no space to operate. Thought he had a on par game against a tough opponent. Fought well, took a lot of beatings, created some space for Pedro and Hazard, but failed to be involved in the big chances.

Costa's overall PL record says 17 goals and 5 assists in 28 games and a goal point every 113 minute. Probably the best record a Chelsea player has had since Lampard or Drogba 2009/10, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd say it is pretty disrespectful to slag off a player who does so much on the pitch for us, while at the same time is harassed by opponents, refs and media. In my opinion, that should warrant some respect.

Just shows how much people are affected by what they read in the Sun. Really, really sad.

Plus, we beat City Yesterday! Top of the league!

Doubled down? Stones and Delph? Please. He was the worst player on the pitch for us over the course of 90 minutes. He was barely involved, evident by the fact that only Zouma, Matic, Willian and RLC had less touches - all of which played 45 min or less. He needlessly tackled whoever it was when Hazard was breaking forward and gave away a ridiculous free kick. Had another needless moment which could see him banned retrospectively for kicking out - regardless of how minor the contact may have been. The reality is that outside of his effort in chasing down, he did little to impact the game or the players around him.  

Of his current 17 goal tally, he's only netted 3 times since the turn of the new year from the 10 league games he's played  - vs Hull, Swansea and West Ham. 

No one (or at least I'm not) is disputing his overall quality or record at the club. He's been a excellent goal scorer for us since he's joined. However, that doesn't mean he gets a pass when he isn't performing. And we aren't talking about one or two off performances, he's genuinely been subpar for the last month or so. If he was overall play was more impactful then he'd probably be getting a pass, but that's been impacted also. He's barely getting shots, let alone putting them on target. His goals have tried up. And his build up play/ball retention has fallen from where it was earlier in the season. Instead we're seeing the Costa that's contributing less in a positive way and the one who's picking up needless cards and being more interested in razzing opponents and generating confrontation.

A couple of games spent coming off the bench wouldn't be a bad thing at this point. Although, it should have probably happened a few weeks back. Might be deemed a little risky to do at this point given the pressure Tottenham are applying. Would be a bold decision nonetheless to make. 

55 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Thought that one thing that last night did perhaps show us was that Zouma is going to struggle in a back three.

Might be a case of him out and Christensen back in next season, good footballer that fella is looking and with ability on the ball and passing that would knit into and be well-suited in a three.

Probably not helped by the fact he's had so little football since returning from injury. The technical side of his game though, as you said, doesn't quite lend well to a back three. Was always going to be his sticking point. Which is a bummer because he ticks the boxes with more or less everything else.