Michael Tucker

Manchester United 2 Chelsea 0

399 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

If we do manage to win the league I sincerely hope Conte walks if we fail to support him this summer with a handful of quality players. 

1. We need a back-up:replacement for Costa

2. If Costa goes we need a back-up to his replacement

3. We need two quality wing-backs (Moses is alright as a back-up, Alonso good enough to be starting)

4. We need a top quality CM

5. We may need another attacker (unless RLC is given a proper go), a back-up keeper (if Bego goes) and potentially a CB

We need proper funds this summer. It will take a real rebuilding job to get us back to where we want to be. Go into next season with 1-2 quality signings and we have murdurered ourselves before the seasons even started. 

Hmm btw apart from the actual goals ( first one never should have stood) for all their dominance I did not think utd actually threatened our goal and probably just got one lucky deflection for all that intensity and pressing 

Back to the zero press so no great surprise at the loss given how hyped up Man U were.  Not much difference from the last game, fast into the tackle, giving Hazard and Costa no time on the ball.  This time they got the minor hand ball decisions and we did not get a major Red card decision.  

Matic was worse than ever.  Lost count how many times he gave the ball away in our own half.  Essentially ignored by man U players who just played around him as if he wasn't really there.  But hey - that is my agenda so no one else can discuss it on this site.

As someone said, the man who would make the real difference right now is JT.  I'd add the one man who will make things worse is Zouma (a 3rd CB who takes away the whole passing around the back thing - giant stepovers is not the same as crisp and accurate passing).  Zouma is fine as a classical CB in a back 2 against a big target man.  

And basically - if you don't start Fabregas then this team cannot afford to concede first because it will too often struggle to score 2 from a losing position.

And I can't see any point in blaming any of the front 3 after this game.  Chelsea attack as a front 5 including Alonso and Moses, with a lot of great long balls from Luiz and the CMs.  None of that existed today.

5 hours ago, chelboy said:

Why are Moses and Azpi so deep. They are not pressing the full backs. 

The whole team defended deep.  Back to the zero press or the standing in the wrong place.  Some say we bottled it, but another way of describing it was that we just failed to press at all.

This was a defeat at management level, not at player level.  which is a shame because the main reason we are 

5 hours ago, MikelBlue said:

We're one man short in midfield which means pedro needs to be sacrificed for fabregas 

Except that we were playing without a midfield - we were back in the early season "sit back and watch" mode.  I hope we can get rid of it again.

I'm not that keen on the 3 at the back idea - or rather I think it is like a homeopatic treatment, a placebo that persuades the others that if there are 3 official CBs then they should get out and chase opponents in our half down.  Kante and Alonso (missed for this reason) do that well. Azpi and Moses not so well.  Matic is unable to put pressure on opponents anyway so it doesn't matter much where he stands.

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Why Fabregas is not the Captain of this side is beyond me , he's the only one with a bit of edge about him.

Certainly we were better when we went to 4 at the back and actually tried to compete in midfield.  Right now Fabregas is our second best ball winner in midfield and Kante is our second best playmaker.  Which is not saying much other than they should start together, and Chalobah should be the next option.

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

It's ego ego ego.

Hell hath no fury like a fan by JM scorned.

fixed.  e went, e came back and e won.  Just congratulate him and leave it at that.
The very idea of a moan at JM for a lack of class today,  urghhh.  How unaware.

(Sleeping Dave  - seems to have been edited or deleted)

If we do manage to win the league I sincerely hope Conte walks if we fail to support him this summer with a handful of quality players. 

He has a great squad, quite a few more player options than JM has last year, and frankly has a lot to be greatful for from  the club.  I'm sure he'll get more players in the summer and will stay - hope so he has done very well mostly so far.

The squad was over thin in a number of years, especially in 15/16.  Other than that I think the club have done a great job in providing hi quality players for the managers ever since RA arrived.  Nothing to complain about there at all.

12 minutes ago, jangz said:

Hmm btw apart from the actual goals ( first one never should have stood) for all their dominance I did not think utd actually threatened our goal and probably just got one lucky deflection for all that intensity and pressing 

I think they did.

5 hours ago, ripz said:

6 games to go:

Chelsea: 4 home 2 away

Spurs: 2 home 4 away

Chelsea home games: Southampton, Watford, Middlesbrough, Sunderland

Spurs home games: Arsenal, Man United

bit of perspective, I'd rather be us with 4 pt lead than them.

Best post I have read since the final whistle.

Spot on, a bit of perspective.

Up the Chels...

Oops! We, to a man, put in a 4 out of 10 performance. Utd put in 9 out of 10 performance. Beat us all over the pitch and were better in all areas. Still only beat us with a couple of fluky goals even though they deserved it. Should have been given handball with a 50/5 chance of a yellow. Could have changed the flow of the game and could have given Hazard a chance. Having said that, we didn't deserve to get anything from that. Droy. Matic was very poor but no worse than anyone else today. Fabregas pulled out of some challenges and gave the ball away so no worse than your favourite Croatian.. As much as I like Conte, I thought he was as poor as the rest of them. With Alonso out, you don't change the whole team and shape. Leave everybody where they have played well so far and replace Alonso with Ake. He might have been struggling but at least we would have had the rest of the team in their right positions. May not have helped but changing the whole shape was never going to work.

Let's draw a line under this and learn the lessons. 

Come on you Chels.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think he showed exactly what we're missing today . Making his United legend one game at a time with nobody dickering about profit and loss.

I like Conte and hope we give him the true support we denied JM but the test will be the summer and when we don't back him Conte will walk and we'll end up with the Hull bloke.

Mark we never denied Jose support.He denied himself support by his outlandish behaviour.Utd  were worthy winners today,Mourhino got it right today( whether by accident or design )but my money would be on Conte in the long term.We have looked dodgy of late,but nothing like the debacle of last season under Mourhino...until today.

I for one is fascinated our reaction against spurs,win and a smile will be hard to wipe from my face,lose and we are ****ed.

Well it had to happen.Walked into my local after the game and I heard a laugh directed at me.Then the village idiot...you guessed it a manu supporter three sheets to the wind confronted me."we destroyed you" etc etc,if I hadn't had a cracked rib I would have nutted him.When I enlightened him that he only talks united when he is drunk and especially when they win,he called me a blow in( someone who is not from the town)I replied at least I'm from the same planet.

54 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Oops! We, to a man, put in a 4 out of 10 performance. Utd put in 9 out of 10 performance. Beat us all over the pitch and were better in all areas. Still only beat us with a couple of fluky goals even though they deserved it. Should have been given handball with a 50/5 chance of a yellow. Could have changed the flow of the game and could have given Hazard a chance. Having said that, we didn't deserve to get anything from that. Droy. Matic was very poor but no worse than anyone else today. Fabregas pulled out of some challenges and gave the ball away so no worse than your favourite Croatian.. As much as I like Conte, I thought he was as poor as the rest of them. With Alonso out, you don't change the whole team and shape. Leave everybody where they have played well so far and replace Alonso with Ake. He might have been struggling but at least we would have had the rest of the team in their right positions. May not have helped but changing the whole shape was never going to work.

Let's draw a line under this and learn the lessons. 

Come on you Chels.

Conte did stick with the same team and shape with that he had to select from. We went in with our usual 343, which only changed during the game when we were chasing a goal. The other alternation was Azpi replacing Alonso on the left, and Zouma coming in at CB. Not a huge change overall, certainly not one that is going to be the base of our dismal performance - more so when the team has played that way before. The switch of sides by the wingbacks happened in game - after Utd were getting plenty of joy on the right (iirc) early on. A decision that is neither here nor there really. We missed Alonso's width and his connection with the back three tactically - neither were going to be amply replaced by anyone.

A number are suggesting Ake could have come in for Alonso, however he's not a wingback either himself. Hell, he's played a little at LB for Watford and mainly at CB for Bournemouth. Hardly the resume to suggest he should be a WB. While I'm sure Conte has seen enough of him in training to know if he's viable option for the position, more so from a tactical standpoint, which is no doubt where he lacks a little.

That said, we were piss poor all over the pitch. A lot of that rests at the feet of the players. Kante was the only real one who made any sort of contribution. Costa was his usual woeful self and it's incredibly tiring to watch. Just about done with him and his antics to be honest. When he's on form he's great. When he isn't, it's essentially like playing with 10 men. Once again our inability to find passes, let alone string them together, hurt us. Hazard didn't do enough for my liking to break the shackles of Herrera - nor did he get much help from anyone else. However, he stayed central all game and played right into United's plans. He should have been making Herrera defend him in positions away from central midfield where he'd be more uncomfortable. 

Cahill on the second goal with Rashford and helping him up, what the hell was that? That epitomised the lack of bite we had today.

Things may have gone a little differently if the clear handball was given that allowed United to create their first goal. But in all honesty, we didn't do enough regardless and were second best in every department. If anything, it shows just how well of a job Conte has done with this squad overall to be where we are. It also highlights just how much we need to strengthen across the board for next season. 

Not quite panic stations but it's certainly made for a little more of a nervous run in. 

Did anyone notice Jamie (cheeky scouse character) Carragher explaining how well Herrera was marking Hazard. 'es followed him 'ere at RB, 'es followed him all over and look where he's given the free kick away all the way over there. Excuse.me. Isn't that just saying that he's chased him all over the place and fouled him. I'm not saying Herrera didn't do a good job but tell it like it is please.

I suppose the writing was on the wall.We haven't looked good for a long time - but let's get things in perspective - we are in the champions league again! We will spend big time in the summer and we will progress.

27 minutes ago, zaffo said:

Cahill on the second goal with Rashford and helping him up, what the hell was that? That epitomised the lack of bite we had today.

He  said that h thought he might be in trouble with the ref for the challenge, so he picked Rashford off the ground to show him that there was nothing sinister going down.