Michael Tucker

Manchester United 2 Chelsea 0

399 posts in this topic

What I meant Zaffo is that we've had a settled back three for quite a while. With our GK out keeping the back three would have been preferable. Luiz looked as if he didn't trust Zouma, he collided with him several times iirc on Zoumas side. Just my observation.

Just now, Sea foot said:

What I meant Zaffo is that we've had a settled back three for quite a while. With our GK out keeping the back three would have been preferable. Luiz looked as if he didn't trust Zouma, he collided with him several times iirc on Zoumas side. Just my observation.

Yep - your observation was spot on, and I think that was Luiz' poorest game this season, as a result. He was back to being Sideshow Bob!

2 hours ago, Sea foot said:

Oops! We, to a man, put in a 4 out of 10 performance. Utd put in 9 out of 10 performance. Beat us all over the pitch and were better in all areas. Still only beat us with a couple of fluky goals even though they deserved it. Should have been given handball with a 50/5 chance of a yellow. Could have changed the flow of the game and could have given Hazard a chance. Having said that, we didn't deserve to get anything from that. Droy. Matic was very poor but no worse than anyone else today. Fabregas pulled out of some challenges and gave the ball away so no worse than your favourite Croatian.. As much as I like Conte, I thought he was as poor as the rest of them. With Alonso out, you don't change the whole team and shape. Leave everybody where they have played well so far and replace Alonso with Ake. He might have been struggling but at least we would have had the rest of the team in their right positions. May not have helped but changing the whole shape was never going to work.

Let's draw a line under this and learn the lessons. 

Come on you Chels.

Good luck calling Matic a Croatian.  

I would bring Terry back into the fold for our remaining games.He is the best centre half we ever had.players respond to legends not a spoilt brat that thinks he can make a fortune  China.

59 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Oh, I know what you meant. I can see why Conte would make this adjustment though. While we have had a settled back three, it hadn't kept a clean sheet for the previous 9 games prior to this. When you look at our squad options CB is a position we've got the stronger alternatives for. Thus moving Azpi to WB and bringing in a CB does make more sense. That said, I don't think Zouma is the best option to be bringing in at CB because of his weaker technique with ball at feet - there lies the trade off. Ake would have probably been the better CB option given the line up United went with upfront. Although, I'm sure Conte was also expecting Ibrahimovic to start and Zouma in that circumstance is the more logical selection.

Either way, I honestly don't think it really would have mattered had Azpi played CB anyway. Losing Alonso would have still been a significant loss that we wouldn't have adequately covered - and can't cover at present.

32 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I would bring Terry back into the fold for our remaining games.He is the best centre half we ever had.players respond to legends not a spoilt brat that thinks he can make a fortune  China.

His leadership on the pitch would be a significant boost, definitely. The question is going to be more about if he's got the legs to really hold down his position. I'd be tempted to throw him in against Spurs, along with a few other changes, just to see how the side reacts. I'd also leave Costa out completely to make a point.

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

His leadership on the pitch would be a significant boost, definitely. The question is going to be more about if he's got the legs to really hold down his position. I'd be tempted to throw him in against Spurs, along with a few other changes, just to see how the side reacts. I'd also leave Costa out completely to make a point.

I agree Terry could see in an instant what Cahill would see  in an entire game.

5 hours ago, zaffo said:

Conte did stick with the same team and shape with that he had to select from. We went in with our usual 343, which only changed during the game when we were chasing a goal. The other alternation was Azpi replacing Alonso on the left, and Zouma coming in at CB. Not a huge change overall, certainly not one that is going to be the base of our dismal performance - more so when the team has played that way before. The switch of sides by the wingbacks happened in game - after Utd were getting plenty of joy on the right (iirc) early on. A decision that is neither here nor there really. We missed Alonso's width and his connection with the back three tactically - neither were going to be amply replaced by anyone.

A number are suggesting Ake could have come in for Alonso, however he's not a wingback either himself. Hell, he's played a little at LB for Watford and mainly at CB for Bournemouth. Hardly the resume to suggest he should be a WB. While I'm sure Conte has seen enough of him in training to know if he's viable option for the position, more so from a tactical standpoint, which is no doubt where he lacks a little.

That said, we were piss poor all over the pitch. A lot of that rests at the feet of the players. Kante was the only real one who made any sort of contribution. Costa was his usual woeful self and it's incredibly tiring to watch. Just about done with him and his antics to be honest. When he's on form he's great. When he isn't, it's essentially like playing with 10 men. Once again our inability to find passes, let alone string them together, hurt us. Hazard didn't do enough for my liking to break the shackles of Herrera - nor did he get much help from anyone else. However, he stayed central all game and played right into United's plans. He should have been making Herrera defend him in positions away from central midfield where he'd be more uncomfortable. 

Cahill on the second goal with Rashford and helping him up, what the hell was that? That epitomised the lack of bite we had today.

Things may have gone a little differently if the clear handball was given that allowed United to create their first goal. But in all honesty, we didn't do enough regardless and were second best in every department. If anything, it shows just how well of a job Conte has done with this squad overall to be where we are. It also highlights just how much we need to strengthen across the board for next season. 

Not quite panic stations but it's certainly made for a little more of a nervous run in. 

Ake started his footballing life as a midfielder, before converting to a fullback.  He's hardly put a foot wrong in the game he's played for Chelsea since coming back from loan.  He couldnt have suddenly lost his attacking quality so early in his career. I actually thought his performance at Bournemouth was almost a carbon copy of Alonso's at Chelsea.  

Conte has bottled important decision's.  If he cannot see that Costa is now utterly useless, and has been for months, then maybe he's not such a great manager.

One thing I liked about Conte, even before the incredible run of wins, was how his decisions made sense; from not allowing Mikel anywhere near a football pitch, to freeing Hazard from the wing. Lately I am struggling to make sense of his decisions . It just goes to show how human everyone is, me included of course. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Yesterday, with Hazard being taken out of the game by a midfielder (not a defender), we needed Costa to step up big time. Unfortunately he could not.

You really cannot blame Hazard. He goes past Herrera, there are two defenders waiting for him. Conte simply did not adapt to Jose's set-up. A lot of the heartache could have been avoided by playing Pedro at left-back. You have Azpi's pace and assurance in the centre. With Pedro on the left and Moses on the right, you have the long ball available.

19 minutes ago, Vinod said:

Yesterday, with Hazard being taken out of the game by a midfielder (not a defender), we needed Costa to step up big time. Unfortunately he could not.

You really cannot blame Hazard. He goes past Herrera, there are two defenders waiting for him. Conte simply did not adapt to Jose's set-up. A lot of the heartache could have been avoided by playing Pedro at left-back. You have Azpi's pace and assurance in the centre. With Pedro on the left and Moses on the right, you have the long ball available.

True. I don't know why people are having a go at Hazard. If Costa was useful, Hazard wouldn't even need to beat his marker. They worked out that Costa has not been playing for months, and all they had to do was control Hazard and Pedro.