Michael Tucker

Manchester United 2 Chelsea 0

399 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I watched the game again,we were awful.In our heart of hearts alot us knew a game like this was going to happen.We have punched above our weight

Sorry internet connection is not great,I meant to say we have punched above our weight for a long time and a result like this was inevidable.Good to hear Conte say it was his fault,which it was.Drop Costa Antonio or he will drop you in it.

8 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Fair enough.  You've come to the same conclusion on  Costa that I reached a few weeks ago, and I'm glad you have. Let's see if Conte acts. My bet is, he won't, and we'll go on to lose more crucial matches.  

The point about Ake was in response to a suggestion that he couldn't possibly replace Alonso. Instead of the mish mash we had yesterday I think a player like Ake coukd have replaced Alonso and enabled us to keep our usual formation. The only game Ake played since coming back from Bournemouth was as a wingback, and it was a good performance albeit in a FA Cup match

I have indeed, said as much here in one of the match day threads months back. That said, I don't see Conte changing it purely because in terms of CF's, Costa is still our best option due to the style of CF he is and what is asked by Conte in said role. Although, I'd rather Mitchy get a run and if that means not having the same sort of physical CF outlet, so be it. Isn't as if Costa is offering much in general play anyway. Enough's enough.

Ake would still be a mismatch though imo. We'd still be getting a player to play out of position and in a role he's barely featured in nor overall suited to. You mean the Brentford game in the FA Cup? Because he played in the following FA Cup game too at Hull which was at CB. And if memory serves me right he ended up moving from WB to CB in that game against Brentford after Kenedy came on. Regardless, had Ake played and he played poorly I'm sure a portion would have questioned that decision too. Had he even played well it wouldn't have altered the result either. We were piss poor all over the shop and deserved nothing - which is exactly what we got. 

Overall no one wanted to take any responsibility, particularly our senior players. In years gone by a Terry, Lampard, Drogba etc would have taken a stand. Don't quite have those driving sort of players at present though.

On 4/16/2017 at 10:05 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Haha. Or maybe he cares about the club who employs him? 

But maybe I'm just crazy. 

Win their game in hand and they're one point behind City. Win the next game in hand over Liverpool and they're tied with them. He won't roll over for anyone and not because of his ego but because he's a winner. 

So in your opinion he's a serial badge kisser ?  :-)

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

Funny I met him in Portugal and was going to ask him why he backs off.Luckily my wife told me it would not be a good idea.I think her words were you will make a fool of yourself 

Haha, that would have depended on how he reacted, though interestingly I once met Frank Sinclair in a bar. My cousin who supports Tottenham suddenly announces,

"You've got to meet Chelsea's greastest fan!"

I turn around to see him at the bar with Frank Sinclair pointing in my direction .......

I think we all knew JM was capable of springing a surprise and for me the lack of WB cover on the left is concerning. Saying this we all knew we had a small squad that could play the Conte way. We had Moses out of position , Zouma playing and Begovic. In effect three changes. The footballing gods perhaps thought they owed JM one.

Despite doing my very best to cowardly avoid all football media for the last 36 hours, it doesn't feel anywhere near as "doomsday" as it felt on Sunday afternoon.

Given the fixtures left for both teams, it's not unfeasible that we'll win our home games, although that Southampton fixture has a whiff of Shane Long turning up. As for them, Mourinho/United have it in them to deny Spurs two or all three points and that'll probably do it for us. And going through this wobble will mean more if/when we cross the line first.

Also, this will act as a reminder to those in important positions that the maximum has been rung out of this squad and reinforcements are definitely required in the summer. I can't see a careless repeat of Summer 2007 or 2010 happening this time around.

5 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

So in your opinion he's a serial badge kisser ?  :-)

All managers are either serial badge kissers, unemployed or TV pundits.  
If JT kisses the badge of his next club, watch out for those that complain.

In fairness, he doesn't actually kiss the badge.

FB_IMG_1492388372061.jpg

On 4/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, ripz said:

6 games to go:

Chelsea: 4 home 2 away

Spurs: 2 home 4 away

Chelsea home games: Southampton, Watford, Middlesbrough, Sunderland

Spurs home games: Arsenal, Man United

bit of perspective, I'd rather be us with 4 pt lead than them.

Feel better after reading that. I have to believe Spurs will fail to win one of their remaining games, at least. 

On 4/16/2017 at 5:56 PM, Kezza said:

This game shows  huge problem. We are so weak and thin in our squad. No viable alternative to Alonso, Moses and Costa. Its easy to predict the Spurs game with these 3 out of form or unavailable. And it is not good! Our system has worked so well so far and hinges on Alonso and Moses particularly. Without these 2 it seems like the wheel may well come off!

We have a tiny, unbalanced squad. This is partly down to the switch in formation mid season. Had Conte known we were going to play wing backs in July / August, perhaps we would have more than 2 options for those positions. The only other option is Pedro, and he is needed further forward as there are so few options there. In hindsight, playing Ake at LWB might have been better as the usual back 3 remain in tact and Moses could have stayed on the right.

On 4/16/2017 at 6:13 PM, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

looks like Alonso will be ok next week, not injured just unwell

Thank God - he is only option there if he isn't going to use Ake

On 4/16/2017 at 7:06 PM, Blue Rod said:

He was never a crap manager. But then is it not any other manager's fault that his team is struggling to make the top four. There is no medal for beating Chelsea. His position in the table is no fluke, is it?

I have neither the time or inclination to review about 18 months' of your posts in Jose's 2nd spell here where almost every post you made was basically saying he was a crap manager. 

On 4/16/2017 at 9:36 PM, lastbronx4u said:

Anyone here think that Courtois would have saved that Rashford goal? When the striker is wide of the goal you make it easier for him by coming that far out.

Yes. He went down like a cheap hooker. Courtois at least makes himself big. 

On 4/16/2017 at 10:22 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

If we do manage to win the league I sincerely hope Conte walks if we fail to support him this summer with a handful of quality players. 

1. We need a back-up:replacement for Costa

2. If Costa goes we need a back-up to his replacement

3. We need two quality wing-backs (Moses is alright as a back-up, Alonso good enough to be starting)

4. We need a top quality CM

5. We may need another attacker (unless RLC is given a proper go), a back-up keeper (if Bego goes) and potentially a CB

We need proper funds this summer. It will take a real rebuilding job to get us back to where we want to be. Go into next season with 1-2 quality signings and we have murdurered ourselves before the seasons even started. 

Not sure a rebuild is the right word, more like an extension. A conservatory or loft conversion, if you will. The core of the squad is more than fine, it is just terribly thin, especially in certain positions. A brand new 3 bedroom house is lovely, but no good for a family of 6. 

You could of course twist that as him hiding the United badge as it isn't as important to him.....

All the Mourinho nonsense aside, it was one of those days wasnt it, Keeper injured then Alonso drops out last minute. They start well and get a goal with a little bit of luck (the handball) but we generally dont get going mostly due to astute tactics by the oppo but also a bit of a collective mare by our team.

after I had cooled down on Sunday (didn't take long to be honest) I thought that I had only expected a draw anyway so we were one point worse off. 4 points ahead or 5, neither is two wins worth though of course if we fall short by a point I may feel otherwise. Either way its probably our last warning isn't it, we can get away with one more defeat and winning all the others of course but the feeling that the team may be running out of steam at just the wrong time needs addressing for me. That said I thnk we will be ok they will never win all their games no chance.

46 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

[SNIP]..............................but the feeling that the team may be running out of steam at just the wrong time needs addressing for me. That said I thnk we will be ok they will never win all their games no chance.

Excepting for our striker being in a poor run of form/lack of confidence/couldn't give a toss (dependent on whichever is actually correct) perhaps there's a combination of Sunday being  a 'perfect storm' of loss of players, one at little or no real notice and an astute opposition manager who'd been beaten twice already by us and was clearly smarting, plus other managers and their highly paid/skilled management teams and numerous tactical analyst's actually devising systems that are making it harder for us to win games.

Conte and his team really do need to up their game, as do the players - We'll see who the new leaders on the pitch are now., or maybe we might not!!