Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 2

295 posts in this topic

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our F.A. Cup Semi-Final match against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley Stadium, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:15 Saturday, 22nd April, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

Anyone know which pub has been allocated? The Green Man? Or do Spuds have squatters' rights there now?

Can't see it happening but Conte has to drop Costa for this one, in my opinion.

Surely Michy can't be any worse than Costa has over these past few weeks?

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Can't see it happening but Conte has to drop Costa for this one, in my opinion.

Surely Michy can't be any worse than Costa has over these past few weeks?

Conte won't drop Costa, That is the problem. Any other No 9 and we come away with a win. 

I suspect we won't have Alonso again and after Spurs outplayed us at the lane and Poch being a top manager we could be in a for a long afternoon. They have faster WBs than us with their first 11 and are scoring for fun.

I'm hoping Conte can again come up with a tactical master class as we need a change. I think if we lose this cup match we can still win the league and yet psychology and the fear factor.............

God knows what Conte will do now , how to pick them up after such a totally demoralizing defeat at the hands of the man that moulded them?

We have some issues , Courtois may not be fit and despite not being my favourite keeper of all time , Begovic makes Courtois look like Gordon Banks.

Costa , is battling to some degree but yet again instead of bolstering his performance up front it's detracting from his game , he either needs help in a front two or benching. At Athletico he often played wide left of a three , maybe we can get him out of the firing line and get Bats in as CF with Hazard either wide right or behind Bats.

Moses , an intricate part of the way we play looks injured to me , we have nobody else capable of replacing him , Willian probably the best option but he's got no idea defensively and Azpillicueta was woeful there against United.

Can we revert to a back four ? My guess is no.

I don't know what is wrong with the midfield but neither of them are getting anywhere near the forward line in support and Matic has looked excellent in that role previously but currently looks the player Droy always thought he was.

Hopefully Alonso will be back to at least give us something on the left.

We have real problems in defence , Luis has been terrible for a while and I believe he's another one carrying an injury but he's the best we have Zouma and Cahill (our Captain !) Have no future in the first team after this season , Cahill is English which gives him a chance.

Against Spurs , I'd still prefer JT over Cahill and anyone over Zouma .

We have one redeeming quality , Spurs are hopeless at Wembley.

The enormity of this game cannot be overstated.

Win this and we could derail Spurs season.

Who'd be a football manager ?.

23 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Can we revert to a back four ? My guess is no....

Moses , an intricate part of the way we play looks injured to me

In theory a fit Moses and Alonso play WM in a 343 when up against 2 strikers.  
Azpi clearly wants to play as a standard FB.  Moses, as you say perhaps unfit, did the same at Man U.

Changing to 3CBs was for me largely a psychological change aimed at getting the non-defenders out of our own box and into to midfield where they should fight for the ball.  

So for me a change to 3 CMs might have a similar effect - reminding the players they need to challenging anyone in our half, not just in our box.  Moreover, Fabregas when he came on appeared to be only the second player in the team after Kante who actually wanted to win the ball.  Fabregas, Kante and Chalobah in 433 and you have a team.
(meanwhile Azpi is a nature FB in a 4, while Zouma is a natural CB in a back 4 too).  

So my guess - yes.  Shame we don't have Ivanovic to play RB :), but  Azpi, Zouma/Cahill, Luiz/JT, Alonso works very well as a back 4.

24 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Hopefully Alonso will be back to at least give us something on the left.

... in midfield.  yes.

I haven't heard anything yet on Alonso.

If Alonso does not play I think we need to play 4-4-2 with Ake at left back assuming he is not cup tied.

I don't buy the Wembley thing and think Spurs are the real deal until their next defeat and like United they nullified out threat at their ground.

We need to change again for the rest of the season as the clever managers, JM, Allardyce and Pochettino  have sussed us out since reverting to a back three. 

I'd play Terry, especially after today's announcement. Nothing he'd love more than to sign out by doing them over in the cup and in the league.

Kinda not concerned by the result in this game so much now. Focus has to be the league and not blowing that, for that reason I'd make a raft of changes to see what other have got. Would also switch from 343 to 352.  

------------------- Begovic
-------------- Terry - Luiz - Ake
Azpi -- Kante - Fabregas - Chalobah - Moses
------------ Batshuayi--- Hazard ------

Then select a bench from: Eduardo, Cahill, RLC, Willian, Pedro, Matic, Costa, Kenedy and Aina.

Tottenham will press, they're also physical in midfield and move the ball quickly. Having that extra midfielder (Chalobah for his mobility) will help close up some of that central space. Ake at CB for his slight height advantage and being a better fit for the position, while Azpi remains out in a WB role because of the quality Spurs have in the same areas - given Alonso won't be fit I presume - nor worth risking. Terry also comes in for some much needed leadership down back, even if that means sacrificing some leg speed. Finally Mitchy replacing Costa and partnering with Hazard upfront, which gives us Hazard who will drop deeper to collect the ball, white Mitchy will run the channels in behind with his additional pace.