Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 2

301 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Kezza said:

Someone called him rubbish earlier? I'm not sure the change in tone. Is it because we won?

No. Ake was good all game. Our back three all had great games.

Well, well. Was Matic standing in the right place?

I didn't see that coming, wonderful result especially after last week. 

Imagine if Conte wins the Double and then finishes second next season. He wouldn't get sacked, would he? Wait, what? ;)

17 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

A brilliant day in many ways. A brilliant win and a few lessons.

I always thought highly of Ake. He looked absolutely composed and unfazed. His brilliant tackle for the first goal was a beauty. He's also a versatile player. he's a confident passer of the ball as opposed to Zouma.

Another showpiece match and Costa still can't be bothered. With Bats so useless Conte might need to come up with more genial solutions to our attacking lineup. Costa is over as a Chelsea player if there was any doubt.

Now that we are through to the final I can make my wish on whom we should face. Another London derby would do nicely.😉

You praise Ake for the first goal (and rightly so) but fail to give Batshuayi credit for his part in sending Pedro on his way.

I think people are judging Batshuayi for his overall season and not on his play today. He was not spectacular but was solid.

Moment of the match - Matic.

Nervous moment of the match.  Not Willian before taking the Penalty, but Moses, seeing Son out of the blocks and sliding in, waiting, waiting, waiting for the contact to come.  It seemed to take ages.

Spurs fans walking out so early.  When Harry Kane's 93rd minute freekick spun under neath Courtois, I was half hoping it would go in, just to see the annoyance on all those exiting fans.

Funny moment of the match - Luiz boots the ball high into the Spurs fans area in the 94th minute.  But they have all gone home and it took ages to come back!!

Fate.  I'm with Jenas - we got rather lucky.  Essentially this was the Palace game bad luck balancing out for us - about 5 good chances and 4 great finishes.  Matic doesn't get too many of those (nobody does), we don't get many penalties, Willian has a great strike rate from free kicks, but it is still 1 in 4 or so.  And even Hazard's goal came down to Spurs standing in the wrong places (as more or less told by Shearer).

The return of the zero press.  From the Arsenal 3-0 to the Man U game we have seen the team set out mostly (most games, and for most minutes in the few others) properly, challenging anyone on the ball in our half.  That stopped against Man U, and for much of the current game - from when they equalised to when we went 4-2 up - when for whatever reason we started chasing them about their half which was fun.

But a big psychological Win.  The zero press bothers me about our run in.  But not half as much as the Spurs loss makes me feel that they will now blow the run in.  I feel quite confident about that.

Record of the game.  A 61st substitution by Conte.  Must be a record - two in fact.  Indeed had the ball gone out of play earlier it might have been pre-60min mark (I wonder what the betting odds for that would have been?)

Was this proof that Costa and Hazard were fully fit and ready to play a whole hour (assuming it stayed level and went to extra time)?   IMO yes.

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Matic standing in the middle unaware what's behind him...whoops! I'll get Droy started.

Just pleased to see someone else start.  Eriksson assist to Alli was all too familiar - I dare say some will say it was because the weak point is that Moses and Aspi are too short.

25 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

On another day with another ref we could have picked up more cards, Azpi, Ake, Luiz, all rode their luck at times.

The psychological effect of bringing on Costa,Hazard and Fabregas when level must have been immense.

Very True - 19 fouls by us.  A very high number for a losing team, let alone the 4-2 winners, and much more than what has been given as proof of thuggery for other teams.

Spurs showed none of the nastiness that we have seen in other games, at least till the last 10 mins when frustration got the better of a few of them.  

Had the refs given out cards more readily, or more important, earlier, we would have had to adjust our game much more, which would have been a significant handicap in a game that was quite close for 60 minutes.

This game came at the perfect moment.

Nothing quite like sticking a foot out and tripping up Spurs. And it's made even better by the salty tears of Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas.

I've seen Matic celebrate a goal. Have you?

It's a funny old game.Alonso was poor,Pedro was poor,Azpi was poor Batshuayi was poor and Matic was poor (except for a wonder strike)and Costa continues to play like someone they pulled from the under 10's.

52 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

You're right Gorman, it should be disallowed.

I'm sure that Droy chap is penning his letter to the FA as we speak lol

Me, I'm going to get very drunk!

1 minute ago, Box of Tricks said:

This game came at the perfect moment.

Nothing quite like sticking a foot out and tripping up Spurs. And it's made even better by the salty tears of Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas.

I thought Frank handled it perfectly, just enough to hint of sheer enjoyment whilst appearing to be neutral..

1 person likes this