Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 2

301 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

So did I Kev. We could do with Blackie Grey, or was it Gray?

We could have done with a Duncan McKay at the weekend

4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Sadly the trepidation I had before the Man Utd game has not left me. I just have this feeling that Conte either does not know what the problem is, or does not know how to solve it. This drop in form has been brewing for months. There is a difference between keeping calm and being complacent. If you ask me for my honest opinion (and I think I do try my best) I do not see us playing really well, from defence to attack, which is what you need to do to beat Spurs these days.

Hazard has carried this team for months. So it's no surprise that when he is marked out, we seem to be finished these days. If we had at least one more player, asking questions of our opponents, there is no way any team would so easily nullify our attacking play.

Lets not panic too much my friend , apparently the squad was decimated by a virus before the United game , which whilst a nifty excuse explains why Moses looked a shadow of himself as well as the loss of Alonso,  we easily beat Bournemouth , on another day would have beaten Palace , we beat City and Stoke , two tricky fixtures.

We may not be at the top of our game and Costa may be having a bit of a crisis of confidence but I'm sure we have enough , if not to see off Spurs in the Cup then to win the league.

Here's hoping

9 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Sadly the trepidation I had before the Man Utd game has not left me. I just have this feeling that Conte either does not know what the problem is, or does not know how to solve it. This drop in form has been brewing for months. There is a difference between keeping calm and being complacent. If you ask me for my honest opinion (and I think I do try my best) I do not see us playing really well, from defence to attack, which is what you need to do to beat Spurs these days.

Hazard has carried this team for months. So it's no surprise that when he is marked out, we seem to be finished these days. If we had at least one more player, asking questions of our opponents, there is no way any team would so easily nullify our attacking play.

Yes, I agree with this to a large extent, although earlier in the season both Pedro and Willian made good attacking contributions too, as well as Costa of course, but he appears to be no longer reliable or relevant to our attacking threat, at least as far as scoring is concerned.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We could have done with a Duncan McKay at the weekend

OK Mark you got me. Duncan McKay?

20 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

I know. My point is that we are worse chokers than them.

Oh I see, which is why Spurs have won the PL more than us? 

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

If we watch the last game . Alli ( great player though he is ) does absolutely nothing whatsoever other than score two carbon copy goals , I'm with you , stop it at source , if Herrera can be sacrificed to stop Hazard , surely we can detail someone to stop the ball getting to Erikssen?

I think it is more general than that.  Against teams with good players, you can't let them have time on the ball in our half.  You have to press up to the half way line at least.  Something we mostly have done well, but have just not tried to do in a few games, the Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U losses most obviously, but the first 4 PL games as well.

It is one thing to allow the opponents to have the ball for long periods, it is quite another to allow them to have time on the ball.  The likes of Spurs and Liverpool will kill any team if they get that. 

I'd also add that had a 5'9"+ defender jumped with Alli, he would probably have not scored those goals.  It was the time Erikssen got on the ball that allowed him to spot the runs Alli was making and chip perfectly into his path that created the goal.  Most crosses are blind, in the hope there might be a striker there.  Because most crossers do not have time to look up and pick out a runner.

3 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I don't think that Matic is the right person to man-mark and Kante would be wasted. Throwing in Chalobah would be a nice shock.

Yes.  Chalobah gets close to players without committing himself (but not nearly as close as Kante does - he is incredible).

We need a target man for this game. Someone who can relieve their press for some time. If Alonso is playing he can start high.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Oh I see, which is why Spurs have won the PL more than us? 

Not the point. You'll see that as usual they'll be up for it more than us. In my view they are more of a team.

If I sound harsh on the lads it's because IN MY OPINION they deserve it. IN MY OPINION they were complacent against Palace and against United and we choked, as we did IN MY OPINION at White Hart Lane this season. I think we will win nothing because at the moment IN MY OPINION we don't deserve it. 

Just so we're crystal clear, these statements are not fact but are just IN MY OPINION. 

Edited by chelsea_matt

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

OK Mark you got me. Duncan McKay?

Left back for Melchester an uncompromising fellow.

1 hour ago, chelsea_matt said:

Not the point. You'll see that as usual they'll be up for it more than us. In my view they are more of a team.

If I sound harsh on the lads it's because IN MY OPINION they deserve it. IN MY OPINION they were complacent against Palace and against United and we choked, as we did IN MY OPINION at White Hart Lane this season. I think we will win nothing because at the moment IN MY OPINION we don't deserve it. 

Just so we're crystal clear, these statements are not fact but are just IN MY OPINION. 

We're playing poorly at the moment Matt yes, but I think our performance throughout the season as a whole can be said to deserve something.