Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Tottenham Hotspur 2

301 posts in this topic

Respect for everything JT has done at the club but with no full matches for sometime now I would prefer Ake.

3 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Respect for everything JT has done at the club but with no full matches for sometime now I would prefer Ake.

The reason he has no "full" matches is Contes fault.He could have played him in lesser games.The old adage is true 'if you don't use it you lose it',yes he is 36 ,but he has forgotten more defensively than ake will know in two careers.Conte should never frozen him out.His compatriot Paulo Maldini played top class football to an older age.

I think we need Terry to Marshal a poor defense at the moment.

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

The reason he has no "full" matches is Contes fault.

I don't see it as Conte's 'fault'. Simply his descision that other players better suited his system.

His compatriot Paulo Maldini played top class football to an older age.

Maldini (as great as he was), played his career in Italy. Not the same dynamic at all, as being an aging defender in the Prem. Chalk and cheese, in fact, due to the speed of the game.

That being said, JT is the most determined footballer I think I've ever seen, and if he gets the nod and want's to play, then he won't let anybody down, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, kev61 said:

The reason he has no "full" matches is Contes fault.He could have played him in lesser games.The old adage is true 'if you don't use it you lose it',yes he is 36 ,but he has forgotten more defensively than ake will know in two careers.Conte should never frozen him out.His compatriot Paulo Maldini played top class football to an older age.

I think we need Terry to Marshal a poor defense at the moment.

How's it Conte's fault exactly? There just isn't a space for Terry in a three man backline, unfortunately. He'd struggle at LCB because he's now 36, and while he was never the quickest player, he doesn't have the same leg speed of his pomp either. Add to that a lack of a fullback to help cover and it's a position that would leave his weakest attribute exposed. The central CB role would suit him best in terms of negating his lack of leg speed (to a degree, as he'd still need the speed to cover laterally), however he's also not quite the dynamic sort of CB with the ball that the role demands either. Thus, he gets squeezed out. Now, if we revered to a standard back four, different story. For me, he'd slot straight back because of the added protection he'd receive from his fullback tucking inside. To say Conte has frozen him out is absurd. Terry just doesn't tactically fit. Might have been different if he was 26 and not 36. If anything, Conte's done extremely well in transitioning Terry out of the side without ruffling feathers.

As for Maldini, how much AC Milan did you ever watch? As he got older he moved from LB to CB to cover his loss in speed. He also had fullbacks next to him to help cover, not to mention the quality of Gattuso and Ambrosini in front to shield in midfield. His last few seasons also saw him play significantly less games, the exception being his final year in which he managed to play the majority of league game. Add to that that Serie A is no where near the pace of the EPL or as physically intense, therefore players tend to have more longevity across all positions. Hence why players like Pirlo, Del Piero, Totti, Luca Toni, Di Natale, J. Zanetti, W. Samuel, Materazzi, Klose, etc. were able to play and contribute to their sides at an older age.

We certainly miss Terry's leadership, his defensive ability and drive. He certainly won't be replaced any time soon.

Yep, I would be more than happy with -

Courtois 

Azpi Luiz Ake

Moses Kante Matic Alonso

Pedro Costa Hazard 

Will Costa start or be on the bench?

I think he will start because Conte isn't going to start Bats and the other option is Hazard up front.

The other big question is Cesc or Matic?

Cesc for me, but not sure Conte agrees

51 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Will Costa start or be on the bench?

I think he will start because Conte isn't going to start Bats and the other option is Hazard up front.

Based on Costa'a contribution for some time now I'd prefer that option.