Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Southampton 2

187 posts in this topic

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Southampton at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45, Tuesday, 25th April, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

With a short turnaround, I can see Conte bringing Costa, Hazard, and Fabregas back into the starting lineup.

Courtois

Azpilicueta

Luiz

Cahill (or Ake if Cahill isn't fit)

Kante

Fabregas

Alonso

Moses

Pedro

Costa

Hazard

Bench: Begovic, Zouma, Ake, Willian, Batshuayi, Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah, Matic.

Personally, I'd have Batshuayi starting again, but I think that Conte will revert to Costa for this one.

I'd keep Batshuayi in the starting eleven also.

Keeping things in perspective (something a few posters fail to grasp judging by the Spurs match day thread) Michy did enough to warrant another start considering just how little football he's had. He has no real match fitness, match sharpness and nothing but training ground familiarity with the side. While he didn't set the world alight, he wasn't terrible either and his flick was a key factor in our opening goal. He had more of a positive impact in 60 minutes than Costa has had in the past month - without the antics. Would give him another 60 min or so and bring Costa off the bench once again. 

Thought Ake was excellent and he'd be hard done by if Cahill comes back in, Willian likewise with Hazard. Otherwise much will remain the same as usual I dare say.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, zaffo said:

I'd keep Batshuayi in the starting eleven also.

Keeping things in perspective (something a few posters fail to grasp judging by the Spurs match day thread) Michy did enough to warrant another start considering just how little football he's had. He has no real match fitness, match sharpness and nothing but training ground familiarity with the side. While he didn't set the world alight, he wasn't terrible either and his flick was a key factor in our opening goal. He had more of a positive impact in 60 minutes than Costa has had in the past month - without the antics. Would give him another 60 min or so and bring Costa off the bench once again. 

Thought Ake was excellent and he'd be hard done by if Cahill comes back in, Willian likewise with Hazard. Otherwise much will remain the same as usual I dare say.

Sorry zaffo you're sounding like Conte's representative.He is good we get that but it is his first year,and I agree he is setting the premiership alight but so did Jose.Sorry but I get the feeliing you think he can solve world peace.

11 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Sorry zaffo you're sounding like Conte's representative.He is good we get that but it is his first year,and I agree he is setting the premiership alight but so did Jose.Sorry but I get the feeliing you think he can solve world peace.

What would make you happy? Call me easily pleased but top of the league and FA Cup final in mid April is pretty good. 

39 minutes ago, Ham said:

What would make you happy? Call me easily pleased but top of the league and FA Cup final in mid April is pretty good

Yep. World peace coming up next, just as soon as Conte gets a free weekend........:).

1 hour ago, kev61 said:

Err... please direct me to the part where I mentioned anything about Conte? I'll wait....

I'd go with the following; 

Courtois; Azpi, Luiz, Ake; Moses, Fabregas, Kante, Alonso; Pedro, Costa, Hazard

Batshuayi did not perform anywhere near a level for anyone to be able to claim he's half the player Costa is. I'd have an off-form Costa over Michy any day of the week. A thing we need to address this summer of course. 

Ake was excellent and I'd love to see him given another go. This kid is special and that much was obvious from the games he got under Benitez - collected, calm and good passer and never getting stressed or rash. 

The game itself is a must win of course. If we can put Spurs under some pressure and increase the gap to 7 before they go to Palace maybe, just maybe they'll crumble. 

We have GOT TO WIN - don't care how. It's the game of games in my view. 

Interesting decisions to be made for this one now as personally I think Ake was one of our best players yesterday and so if Cahill is fit, Conte has to make a decision. Equally, Willian impressed me (as he always does) with his start and I'd be tempted to give him the start ahead of Pedro...

My team would be...

Courtois
Azpi
Luiz
Ake
Moses
Kante
Fabregas
Alonso
Willian
Costa
Pedro

Personally I'd let Cahill have some more time to rest and make sure he is fully back to match fitness before bringing him in and if Ake remains at the level he played against Spurs, then that doesn't weaken us at all.

Big game this one, open up a 7 point gap again and that will no doubt get in to the spurs players heads, especially after us beating them yesterday... big week.