• Current Donation Goals

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Batshuayi did not perform anywhere near a level for anyone to be able to claim he's half the player Costa is. I'd have an off-form Costa over Michy any day of the week. A thing we need to address this summer of course. 

Shock horror. The man has played like 110 minutes of football all season PRIOR to the Spurs game. If you actually thought he was going to come in and perform to an elite level immediately than you're exceptionally deluded. This isn't FIFA. He started brightly and was a key factor in creating our first goal. He had a few other good touches and certainly didn't disgrace himself. Naturally, he is void of any sort of match fitness and sharpness, it showed with the way he tired as the game went on.

Given we also played considerable portions of the game without possession that made it more difficult for not only him, but our entire attack to get a hold of the ball. He had 25 touches (passing accuracy 60%) in his 61 minutes of play, Willian had 27 (63.2%) and Pedro had 18 (37.5%).  

Now, was he great? No. Can he improve? Most certainly. But he certainly wasn't terrible either, given the context of his overall situation.

Once again some perspective wouldn't go astray. Although, maybe that's being optimistic with the way things can be on here.

Difficult one for me Bats isn't all that but the missed header in the Spurs game tells you where Costa is at the moment , that was a powder puff half arsed off target excuse of a goal attempt , from a player I'm convinced wants out for whatever reason. Players have headed the ball back to their own keeper with more venom.

Ake is already better than Cahill so he keeps his place.

Never mind the team - if we concede large parts of our own half to the oppo and don't challenge the man on the ball, then we will concede 2 goals.  Conte fixed it early on in the season - he needs to fix it again.

Dropping Costa and Hazard for an FA cup Semi, with a 6 game PL run-in ahead.  Sounds like a certain ex-manager playing mind-games with his players.  Great idea - I'm all for that type psychology.

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Batshuayi did not perform anywhere near a level for anyone to be able to claim he's half the player Costa is. I'd have an off-form Costa over Michy any day of the week. A thing we need to address this summer of course. 

Ditto.

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

Shock horror. The man has played like 110 minutes of football all season PRIOR to the Spurs game. If you actually thought he was going to come in and perform to an elite level immediately than you're exceptionally deluded.

Quite.  All the more reason not to start him now.  Either Conte has been an idiot for not picking him a lot more often, or, more likely, he isn't good enough.

Dropping Costa and Hazard for an FA cup Semi, with a 6 game PL run-in ahead.

4 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I'd go with the following; 

Courtois; Azpi, Luiz, Ake; Moses, Fabregas, Kante, Alonso; Pedro, Costa, Hazard

Ake was excellent and I'd love to see him given another go. This kid is special and that much was obvious from the games he got under Benitez - collected, calm and good passer and never getting stressed or rash. 

The game itself is a must win of course. If we can put Spurs under some pressure and increase the gap to 7 before they go to Palace maybe, just maybe they'll crumble. 

Maybe, but there is the question of whether Costa is just off form or simply not interested. 

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Dropping Costa and Hazard for an FA cup Semi, with a 6 game PL run-in ahead.  Sounds like a certain ex-manager playing mind-games with his players.  Great idea - I'm all for that type psychology.

In the words of Tom Lehrer..........."Genuflect, genuflect, genuflect, genuflect."

Yes, of course, the ultimate seal of approval.

Kezza   

Costa is a bit of a strange one. And I'm not sure to concur with people saying that weak header was a sign of his commitment or not. There and then he has the ball in the air and is he going to think "I want out of this club"  and therefore "I make a weak header"? 

There are other signsfor his non commitment like for example going down the tunnel without celebrating with the rest. But play wise he just ain't an Aguero or even Kane so that kind of lax touch or finishing is quite common from him.

On the other side why didn't anyone point out how he was first to go to Hazard to celebrate his goal and then cheering and pumping up the fans as well? Is this a player who is not committed at least to the cause of winning the match and trophies at end of season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kezza said:

Costa is a bit of a strange one. And I'm not sure to concur with people saying that weak header was a sign of his commitment or not. There and then he has the ball in the air and is he going to think "I want out of this club"  and therefore "I make a weak header"? 

There are other signsfor his non commitment like for example going down the tunnel without celebrating with the rest. But play wise he just ain't an Aguero or even Kane so that kind of lax touch or finishing is quite common from him.

On the other side why didn't anyone point out how he was first to go to Hazard to celebrate his goal and then cheering and pumping up the fans as well? Is this a player who is not committed at least to the cause of winning the match and trophies at end of season?

I get the feeling Costa is committed to the club, his team-mates, the fans, etc., but is just having a poor run at the moment. The way he celebrated all our goals suggests he is still very much committed to the club and to winning trophies this season. However, I also feel that should another large offer come from elsewhere, he'll be off in the summer without even a backward glance. Maybe the offer from China in January has affected his form, but as he's never given us a full season yet it matters little.
I'd be happy with giving Batshuayi another start against Southampton.

Edited by Bob Singleton

xCELERYx   

Costa's situation reminds me of Crespo's. 

Happy at the club, just not with the lifestyle in England. And I think with Costa, that's been the biggest issue. I wouldn't say he's not committed in terms of a playing aspect - albeit his terrible form. Come the summer I'm sure there will once again be feelers put out to find a move elsewhere.  A likely push once more for a return to Atletico, particularly if they sell Gezmann, wouldn't come as a surprise. Otherwise if another China offer comes of a sizeable portion then I think we'll likely accept that. Can't see Costa wanting to extend his current deal when he's not fond of the country he's in as it is. 

Faramir   
11 hours ago, kev61 said:

Sorry zaffo you're sounding like Conte's representative.He is good we get that but it is his first year,and I agree he is setting the premiership alight but so did Jose.Sorry but I get the feeliing you think he can solve world peace.

I don't know how you transferred Zaffo's post in to a 'Conte praise' statement. You must be going on previous posts.

Faramir   
12 hours ago, zaffo said:

I'd keep Batshuayi in the starting eleven also.

Keeping things in perspective (something a few posters fail to grasp judging by the Spurs match day thread) Michy did enough to warrant another start considering just how little football he's had. He has no real match fitness, match sharpness and nothing but training ground familiarity with the side. While he didn't set the world alight, he wasn't terrible either and his flick was a key factor in our opening goal. He had more of a positive impact in 60 minutes than Costa has had in the past month - without the antics. Would give him another 60 min or so and bring Costa off the bench once again. 

Thought Ake was excellent and he'd be hard done by if Cahill comes back in, Willian likewise with Hazard. Otherwise much will remain the same as usual I dare say.

I agree with all of this.