Michael Tucker

Chelsea 4 Southampton 2

187 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Maybe, but there is the question of whether Costa is just off form or simply not interested. 

Personally I'm leaning towards off-form. Maybe his head is turned and that may affect his performance by a few percentages. Maybe that's enough for him to lose his edge. Or maybe we just need to accept that we may have a few half-a-season players in our squad and that Costa is one of them? 

All in all, maybe this summer wouldn't be the worst time to get rid? If we do, we'd need two new strikers this summer. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

You seem to have changed the question.

What question? You twist and turn so much that it's often difficut to keep up - but then I guess you know that already. You listed a selection of 'strikers' who arrived at Chelsea brittle and broken, I assme to show how good Costa is by comparison. I gave you a list of strikers who weren't broken - and all were superior to Costa. Something I notice that you don't disagree with. Now, what was that question, again?

Do you think Costa is deliberately playing badly?

Nope. it wouldn't make any sense that he'd 'deliberately' play badly, unless he wanted to force Conte's hand to sell him in the summer. Even then, Id find it hard to believe. However, I believe that his mind is elsewhere, and he couldn't give a toss. And that Conte keeps playing him only because he's of the opinion that we really don't have anyone else. Maybe that's to force the club to put their hands in their pockets. The result is much the same.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Personally I'm leaning towards off-form. Maybe his head is turned and that may affect his performance by a few percentages. Maybe that's enough for him to lose his edge. Or maybe we just need to accept that we may have a few half-a-season players in our squad and that Costa is one of them? 

All in all, maybe this summer wouldn't be the worst time to get rid? If we do, we'd need two new strikers this summer. 

Yep. I just think he's an unreliable character all round really, which is a pity because for a long time this season he was the perfect front man. Whether his head was turned by the big offer I don't know obviously, but that non-header on Saturday was really odd. 

I also thought that Batman didn't do that bad. He didn't set the world alight of course, but given his complete lack of involvement for such a long period his contribution was OK I thought and I do wish that that header chance had fallen to him. If he had scored there it would have been interesting to see what it might have done to his confidence.

Edited by PeteRobbo
1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep. I just think he's an unreliable character all round really, which is a pity because for a long time this season he was the perfect front man. Whether his head was turned by the big offer I don't know obviously, but that non-header on Saturday was really odd. 

I also thought that Batman didn't do that bad. He didn't set the world alight of course, but given his complete lack of involvement for such a long period his contribution was OK I thought and I do wish that that header chance had fallen to him. If he had scored there it would have been interesting to see what it might have done to his confidence.

He certainly is an unreliable character and he does put the team under pressure sometimes with his antics. But then again that's who he is and how he plays. It's one of those players you'd love to have in your ranks but hate playing against. No question though, he certainly takes it too far at times although he doesn't receive much protection from the refs. 

Personally I'm not overly keen on him. In fact, there's not an awful lot of players that I feel attached to in this current side. I acknowledge Hazards talent and do have a soft spot for Azpilicueta and Luiz. As for the rest? Leaning towards a meh all around actually (JT aside of course!) There's also a few that I really don't like at all but support nonetheless. It's a strange time for me personally as I grew up with the late Hoddle years where we had a lot of great characters. The Gullit/Vialli years cemented that and we peaked under JM part I. Now I don't see too many strong personalities in the squad at all bar Costa and Luiz. 

Maybe the game has moved on and I haven't. 

3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

.. I believe that his mind is elsewhere, and he couldn't give a toss. And that Conte keeps playing him only because he's of the opinion that we really don't have anyone else. Maybe that's to force the club to put their hands in their pockets. The result is much the same.

Fair enough, it is posible that he's not deliberately playing poorly. It may just be my suspicious mind playing tricks on me. 

He does not give a toss about how he plays. But does he give a toss about whether  we win the title or not?. Because every time he gives the ball away we are facing a counterattack, and he's standing there waving his hands in protest instead of trying to recover the ball. Could he possibly not know that we are particularly vulnerable when we push up to support him only for him to give the ball away. I guess that is also caused by a drop in form.

I don't know anymore what deliberate means. Subconscious or passive sabotage?

Important game tomorrow , whilst we were all overjoyed at beating the Scruffy Gobby ones from North London they showed enough to suggest they aren't going away in the league. If anything it will serve to make them more determined to capitalise if we take our eye off the ball.

Southampton have often been a tricky prospect for us, decent footballing side very capable of taking advantage of a sloppy or unfocused Chelsea performance. I think we will need to work for it and with 90 minutes on the big pitch at wembley on saturday it could be one to grind out. Luckily Hazard should be relatively fresh and Pedro plus Cahill if he comes back in. Either way we just have to find a way to win here as I think asking Palace to get yet another result against the big boys is unrealistic and a 1 or 2 point lead going into Everton away is very fragile.

That said I think we will find a way just like we did on Saturday, sign of a top team that kind of character.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I acknowledge Hazards talent and do have a soft spot for Azpilicueta and Luiz.

It's a strange time for me personally as I grew up with the late Hoddle years where we had a lot of great characters. The Gullit/Vialli years cemented that and we peaked under JM part I. Now I don't see too many strong personalities in the squad at all bar Costa and Luiz. 

Yeh, I like those players you've named in the current squad, particularly Luiz. I'm surprised you don't include Kante, who I think is a very modest fella and obviously real quality in his role. I thought you might also have mentioned Willian, whom you've often talked highly of and who really enjoys being a Chelsea player I think. I had the impression he was very disappointed to be taken off on Saturday and I could see why. Why it wasn't Pedro who was rested I don't know, but maybe it was Conte being mindful of Tuesday's upcoming game and the need to keep Willian fresh.

I like the earlier years you mentioned too. Zola, Vialli et al were great, as was Gullit as a player.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

He certainly is an unreliable character and he does put the team under pressure sometimes with his antics. But then again that's who he is and how he plays. It's one of those players you'd love to have in your ranks but hate playing against. No question though, he certainly takes it too far at times although he doesn't receive much protection from the refs. 

Personally I'm not overly keen on him. In fact, there's not an awful lot of players that I feel attached to in this current side. I acknowledge Hazards talent and do have a soft spot for Azpilicueta and Luiz. As for the rest? Leaning towards a meh all around actually (JT aside of course!) There's also a few that I really don't like at all but support nonetheless. It's a strange time for me personally as I grew up with the late Hoddle years where we had a lot of great characters. The Gullit/Vialli years cemented that and we peaked under JM part I. Now I don't see too many strong personalities in the squad at all bar Costa and Luiz. 

Maybe the game has moved on and I haven't. 

I think you're wrong. We might not have the chest-thumping of JT or Drogba any more, but there is an inner strength and steely determination in this squad which is lacking in many other Premiership teams. That was shown on Saturday against a Spurs side who, currently, are playing some of the best football in the country and winning games with ease. We didn't play particularly well. We had our moments, but we were on the back foot for much of the game and I'm sure most neutrals believed, at 2-2, that Spurs would go on to win. But having taken the lead twice and been pegged back twice, did we meekly surrender to the inevitable?

1 minute ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yeh, I like those players you've named in the current squad, particularly Luiz. I'm surprised you don't include Kante, who I think is a very modest fella and obviously real quality in his role. I thought you might also have mentioned Willian, whom you've often talked highly of and who really enjoys being a Chelsea player I think. I had the impression he was very disappointed to be taken off on Saturday and I could see why. Why it wasn't Pedro who was rested I don't know, but maybe it was Conte being mindful of Tuesday's upcoming game and the need to keep Willian fresh.

I like the earlier years you mentioned too. Zola, Vialli et al were great, as was Gullit as a player.

I'm not overly attached to either Willian or Kante. They're not exactly coming across as big characters and both are quite anonymous around the squad I reckon. 

Both are good footballers though no doubt. I'm sure Kante is someone I'll come to appreciate a lot more. Maybe it's just too soon. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think you're wrong. We might not have the chest-thumping of JT or Drogba any more, but there is an inner strength and steely determination in this squad which is lacking in many other Premiership teams. That was shown on Saturday against a Spurs side who, currently, are playing some of the best football in the country and winning games with ease. We didn't play particularly well. We had our moments, but we were on the back foot for much of the game and I'm sure most neutrals believed, at 2-2, that Spurs would go on to win. But having taken the lead twice and been pegged back twice, did we meekly surrender to the inevitable?

Fair enough, point taken.