314 posts in this topic

Great game from us IMO. This is a proper title race and it deserved that performance from us. We were absolute class I thought. Everyone worked so hard.

Spurs can win their last 4 games and finish the season with 89 points, and still only be runners up, that would be a new record and would have won the league 14 times since the premier started...unlucky

Just now, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

Spurs can win their last 4 games and finish the season with 89 points, and still only be runners up, that would be a new record and would have won the league 14 times since the premier started...unlucky

Goes to show just how good we have been this year, shame a lot don't seem to see it.

Fantastic result in a game too many players were sub par. When Kante, Moses and Alonso are having bad days at work, and Hazard is man marked quite effectively, this was always going to be tough. Got to give most of the credit for this win to Pedro. It was the kind of game where either a big mistake or individual brilliance would open it up, and Pedro made that goal out of nothing. We won on a rather bad day at work, but we can't afford more performances like that. Our passing was sloppy, and Kante had one of his lesser games. Plus, we really did not manage to use our wing backs, and when we did their final ball was atrocious. 

But some players need to be highlighted in a positive manner. Cahill's two goals in the last two games proves why he is our next captain. He is not our best defender, and if we buy a new top class CB in the summer, he may perhaps see less game time, but his experience, concentration and bravery is exactly what we need in crucial games like this one. I have been very vocal about his defending at times (and he was by no means error free against Everton), but he also deserves credit for what he is good at. And the last two games, he has stepped up on another level. Proper Chels! Luiz playing through injury is very JT-like, and great to see. We know he has done it before (Munich), and he is just another class act that in my book is very deserving of a captaincy too. Nobody can criticise the mentality of our back three, even though they all have their weaknesses and have been shipping goals lately. The clean sheet was hard fought and well-deserving today.

Matic really need to go on his forward runs more often. When the big man starts advancing with the ball, opposition enters panic mode and throws players at him to close him down. His end product is of course far from Hazard's, but he is very unpredictable and hard to intercept. Think we can exploit that strength in his game even more.

Even though I was happy to see Ake on the pitch, I feel for JT who is dying to contribute in the run-in and would be the man to replace Luiz had he been on the bench.

Oh, and impossible not to mention the main man Antonio. What a man. If my memory serves me correctly, this is as much de ja vu to Jose and 04-05 as we can ever dream of. The start of a new era, and a new love story between manager and fans. Long may it continue.

Edit: Jon Moss. Honestly. Where is your integrity? One of the worst refereeing performances in a while. Costa were fouled so many times it as ridiculous, and I don't think he got a single free kick. To sum his performance off, he gave Everton the free kick when Gueye used all his dirty tricks to stop Hazard. Incredible. How is that man a PL official?

Edited by jones
1 person likes this

BBC dying for Spurs to win it. There's no room for complacency; it's gonna be close. Very close. But as I say we are doing all we can do.

9 hours ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

They certainly looked it at Wembley.

Sorry, I mean they certainly didn't look it at Wembley when they shipped 4 goals.

Good point CTID. In fact I agree with Dave that they may well have the best first XI right now. Nevertheless, as you say, we still beat them well at Wembley. We restricted them to very few shots and scored 4 times against them and it wasn't because they had an off day at all. We showed tremendous resilience there and also provided clear evidence that, despite their strong first team, our squad has unequalled strength in depth.

The top passer in the premiership this season is ...Azpilicueta

1 hour ago, jones said:

Oh, and impossible not to mention the main man Antonio. What a man. If my memory serves me correctly, this is as much de ja vu to Jose and 04-05 as we can ever dream of. The start of a new era, and a new love story between manager and fans. Long may it continue.

"Testa, cuore e gambe"

And to think there was a time (long gone) when I wouldn't have minded seeing Moyes or Hughes at Chelsea.

19 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Costa looks like he's refusing to play unless Fabregas is playing , watch him come alive when Fab is on the pitch.

I think this is because we don't have another player who is capable of threading a ball through from midfield.

When Fabregas is on the bench our attack is basically Hazard or Pedro running at the defense. Costa's role then is to be around to snap up crumbs if their attempt rebounds. There are very few times in a game when Moses or Alonso pull anything back from the byeline expecting a central striker to be in position.

Compare this to when Fabregas is on the pitch. We still have Hazard and Pedro/Willian doing their thing but we also have the threat of a killer ball coming in from slightly further back. Costa's role in this scenario is far more proactive and that is probably why he appears to be more interested.

Personally I'd be quite happy if he stayed with us next season but if he goes and we get Lukaku I don't see much changing except that there will possibly be fewer assists from the striker.

20 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Costa looks like he's refusing to play unless Fabregas is playing , watch him come alive when Fab is on the pitch

14 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I think this is because we don't have another player who is capable of threading a ball through from midfield.

Yup.  there were a few great runs from Costa not picked out, and several long balls by Luiz that went nowhere near anyone (+ 1 or 2 great ones).  And one or two where he was picked out - including the great chance where he took the ball first time on the edge of the area but blasted over.  That goes in and he has had a great game.  Or if he scores another it is counted as another example of great skill and effort rather than a miss.  (I should add I think that ball came from Matic).

What I love about Costa is his willingness to turn, run at the defence and never look back to check the man on the ball has timed his through ball right.  He just trusts, and there were plenty of examples of that blind trust yesterday.  But all strikers (and Hazard, Willian and Pedro) will run with greater aggression when Fabregas gets the ball (used to be Lampard for us for many years).

The whole team comes alive when Fabregas starts or comes on.  I think they must have great fun with him in training.