• Current Donation Goals

kev61   
On 30/04/2017 at 10:07 PM, Faramir said:

Are you sober when you are writing this stuff about Hazard?

Let's revisit this tomorrow.

That's very Henry Kissinger of you - you were right I was pissed😄

19 hours ago, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

I just find it a bit ridiculous when after 34 games of the season we have:

- More goals scored

- 3 more wins than them

- 4 more points than them

...yet people are saying "Tottenham are the best team in England".

Factually - not opinion - they're not.

They're a very good side no doubt about it, best Tottenham team I've ever seen, but if they were the best team in the country then they would be winning the league after 34 games.

They're not.

I never claimed it to be facts, just my opinion. 

It is possible to be the best team in England right now and not winning the league. I stand by my statement - right now, and for a few months now, Tottenham has been the best team in England. 

Did you watch the Arsenal game? It should have been 5-0. 

Dingus   
22 hours ago, chelsea_matt said:

BBC dying for Spurs to win it. There's no room for complacency; it's gonna be close. Very close. But as I say we are doing all we can do.

Old Poch was very clever to say that the "world was trying to kill Tottenham last season". Basically wanting all of those wanting Leicester to win the league to jump on their bandwagon this year.

Faramir   
19 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well maybe, but there is a difference between a) "best team in the country now" and b) "have been the best team in the country over the entire season to date". For a) well maybe they might be, but for b) I agree with you of course, that's us for sure.

I agree with this perspective.

Tottenham are the best form team in the country over the last three months. The team that wins the Premier League is the best team over the course of the season.

Those people who still are not giving Spurs any respect on this forum are tribal in their outlook and not recognizing a very good football team.

Oh yes. Big, big win to cap off a huge week. 3 wins in 8 days as we edge nearer to the reality of the Double. A great way to finish off a really tough, congested month. Let's hope we reap the rewards in May.

Thoughts:

1) First half was scratchy, we played well in patches but couldn't quite get the final ball right. We often found ourselves in between their midfield and defense and just couldn't punish them. It was looking wasteful, but importantly we were in the game going into the second half, which is often when our superior quality and fitness begins to tell. And so it did.

It's becoming more and more apparent that under Conte: 2nd half > 1st half

2) Individuals now and let's start with Pedro. Prior to the game I advocated Willian's inclusion from the beginning, but Pedro showed exactly why he's  been preferred. His ability to score a worldie with either foot is pretty amazing. He's probably our best finisher and that's why he deserves to start. We have to give him (and Willian) a lot of credit this season. That's 11 goals for Pedro in total (7 in the league) and 10 goals for Willian (6 in the league). A combined 21 goals in total (13 in the league). Solid numbers. Exactly what we need to complement Hazard.

Credit to our back 3, who were excellent. Real warriors, the trio of them. Thought Ake looked really solid for the short time he was on. Hazard worked hard and tried to shake off Gueye as well as he could. It's not easy having someone stuck to you throughout, but what it did do was deprive Everton of their best CM and ball winner from the middle of the pitch.

3) The consequences of that win is massive. All sorts of ways to look at it really. Win 3 home games and we're Champions. Hell, win the next 3 and we're Champions. Narrow it further, and win the next 2, and we just have to win one of the last 2 at home and we're Champions. 

One at a time of course and let's take care of Middlesbrough at home first.

paulw66   
On 4/30/2017 at 1:16 AM, Michael Tucker said:

It's funny, but he just didn't do it for me! Good striker, yes, and what we needed at that time, but better than say  Greaves, Drogba, Osgood, Tambling, Hasselbaink, et al at the top table? Not for me, I'm afraid. But then, this is exactly why these forums exist and thrive - individual opinions. Long may it continue!

My old man would talk about Greaves for as long as anyone was prepared to listen. 

On 4/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

I have to say we've brought this on ourselves, too many players seemed to relax when we stretched the lead to 10 points, then a silly home defeat to palace, a defeat to man Utd and all of a sudden we are hitting the panic button.

Brought what on ourselves? Even before Sunday, we had won 6 from the last 8, taking 18 points. That is 86 points pro rata over a league season = very good form. 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:20 PM, chelsea_matt said:

Still very very worried about this, I think Spurs will win all their games, Ham is right 

I can't see it. Three very tricky away games coming up and a difficult home game remaining. They will definitely falter. You can quote me. 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:44 PM, Mark Kelly said:

I don't think asap is fast enough to remove Pedro on reflection.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:29 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Pedro , best player we've ever had , I've always said it. What a goal.

You sir should be a politician! 

On 4/30/2017 at 3:50 PM, chelboy said:

Another Cesc assist. This guy is different class.

Yes. 

On 4/30/2017 at 5:17 PM, chelsea_matt said:

Spot frickin' on. 

Not bad for a bunch of chokers

On 4/30/2017 at 6:14 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Win today was absolutely necessary. Spurs will go on to win their remaining games. I've been saying it for a while, right now they are the best team in England by some distance. 

We will need 90 pts to reclaim the crown. Spurs could be 5-0 up. They're absolutely trashing Arsenal. 

They aren't though are they, they are 2nd and out of all cups. 

On 4/30/2017 at 10:08 PM, kev61 said:

The board should be thinking about europe next year.We are way short of challenging for the premier club competition.If we can get north of 50 million for Costa I would get rid.If we could get 100 million for Hazard I would get rid.I think Conte can smell a player with desire which is more important than a player that rests on his laurels.

Yes, progress by selling our top 2 scorers. I do hope you don't get a job on the board. 

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I never claimed it to be facts, just my opinion. 

It is possible to be the best team in England right now and not winning the league. I stand by my statement - right now, and for a few months now, Tottenham has been the best team in England. 

Did you watch the Arsenal game? It should have been 5-0. 

I don't get that at all, from a guy whose posts I enjoy reading.

Spurs have been playing with ZERO pressure in their pursuit of Chelsea. They turned it on when 10 points behind. If they catch us, they are heros, if they don't, they were plucky underdogs. We have had to deal with being the team to be shot down since NOVEMBER 5TH!!!!!! That takes real bottle. 

Yes, Spurs have won 9 in a row. We did 13 earlier on in the season, and we could well end up doing the double.

The best teams cope with pressure, when teams are hunting you down. They haven't had that in living memory. 

I would also add beating Everton away 3-0 is a FAR superior result to beating Arsenal at home 2-0. 

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

My old man would talk about Greaves for as long as anyone was prepared to listen. 

Brought what on ourselves? Even before Sunday, we had won 6 from the last 8, taking 18 points. That is 86 points pro rata over a league season = very good form. 

I can't see it. Three very tricky away games coming up and a difficult home game remaining. They will definitely falter. You can quote me. 

You sir should be a politician! 

Yes. 

Not bad for a bunch of chokers

They aren't though are they, they are 2nd and out of all cups. 

Yes, progress by selling our top 2 scorers. I do hope you don't get a job on the board. 

I don't get that at all, from a guy whose posts I enjoy reading.

Spurs have been playing with ZERO pressure in their pursuit of Chelsea. They turned it on when 10 points behind. If they catch us, they are heros, if they don't, they were plucky underdogs. We have had to deal with being the team to be shot down since NOVEMBER 5TH!!!!!! That takes real bottle. 

Yes, Spurs have won 9 in a row. We did 13 earlier on in the season, and we could well end up doing the double.

The best teams cope with pressure, when teams are hunting you down. They haven't had that in living memory. 

I would also add beating Everton away 3-0 is a FAR superior result to beating Arsenal at home 2-0. 

On the money Paul. Bang on throughout.

Jasonb   
29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I agree with the above.

Re Everton and Arsenal, I would normally say Arsenal were the tougher prospect on paper though the difference this time was Everton had won 8 on the bounce at home, this made our result so special.

Lest we forget a wonder goal by Pedro turned the match in the 66th minute.

paulw66   
7 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I agree with the above.

Re Everton and Arsenal, I would normally say Arsenal were the tougher prospect on paper though the difference this time was Everton had won 8 on the bounce at home, this made our result so special.

Lest we forget a wonder goal by Pedro turned the match in the 66th minute.

Before Sunday, Everton had won 12/17 at home (3rd best points at home), Arsenal had won 7/16 away

Conclusion, Everton away is a much harder fixture. 

I'm having a chuckle myself at my MDF reactions , every week I do it and every week they make me look the clueless bozo I am.

Mind you they were awful in the first half in my defence.