Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Middlesbrough 0

338 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Not literally, no. I appreciate I was exaggerating for artistic effect, but there has been a lot of, "well if we lose game x, y and z and Spurs win all theirs, then we are in trouble"

It is a nonsense really, because it was more prevalent that one Spurs slip left us virtually home and hosed. They needed to win all their remaining games, which was never very likely despite how much people panicked when they destroyed Watford and Bournemouth at home. 

Sure. But the fact remains that we could afford to lose one game of our remaining 6 to have been sure to win the league. With the form Spurs found themselves it wasn't a stretch to be worried that they would win them all or that we would end up losing more than 3pts. 

That they lost to West Ham has obviously changed all that. But the whole "West Ham dominated that game" narrative is absolute nonsense. They did no such thing and I'd say Spurs are very unlucky to have lost that one. West Ham played the situation perfectly, they knew Spurs had to go for it and played on the counter and exploitet the space Tottenham allowed as they committed so much going forward. 

But it's all irrelevant now. There's no way we won't win it now. Well only a complete meltdown can change where the title ends up now and I can't see that happening. 

37 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

But the whole "West Ham dominated that game" narrative is absolute nonsense. They did no such thing and I'd say Spurs are very unlucky to have lost that one. 

Perhaps, but Adrian had very little to do, particularly after the one real chance of the first half when he turned it over with his foot.

Spurs were also a bit lucky to beat both Swansea and Palace. A game like Friday was going to come eventually, and whilst no way did West Ham dominate, they certainly had the better chances. 

I actually think our win at Everton was the decisive moment. They must have looked at that one and thought we'd drop points. Even if they had won on Friday, the remaining fixtures could hardly have been cherry picked any better. 

43 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Perhaps, but Adrian had very little to do, particularly after the one real chance of the first half when he turned it over with his foot.

Spurs were also a bit lucky to beat both Swansea and Palace. A game like Friday was going to come eventually, and whilst no way did West Ham dominate, they certainly had the better chances. 

I actually think our win at Everton was the decisive moment. They must have looked at that one and thought we'd drop points. Even if they had won on Friday, the remaining fixtures could hardly have been cherry picked any better. 

I agree the Everton result basically sealed it. But it could have been different had their early chance (hitting the post) gone in and Tottenham scored that absolute sitter early on. Just goes to show that there's really small margins! 

But yeah on paper they had difficult games left to play. But United seems to have given up on the league and only go for the Europa. Could prove costly! 

3 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

[SNIP]

Does anyone know if Luiz and kante are fit?

Chelsea have a pair of injury doubts in David Luiz (knee) and N’Golo Kante (thigh), but we may not know until kick-off whether each, or both, are match fit. Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has an ankle knock, but he is expected to play.

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

I think you may be dangerously close to taking the p*** there PR, but since you've always seemed a very nice man I'll forgive you.

That's very nice of you to say so Jane, but me take the p***?  I say! I'm far too gallant doncha know?

Sorry Ham :((((  I underestimated your cunningness (is that even a word?!) 

On 5/6/2017 at 3:35 PM, Johnny Blue said:

I'm not sure, but my wife likes it.

I note that my, similar but perhaps too tangential, response passed under JaneB's radar!

(Thanks for taking one for the team, PR!)

Edited by Johnny Blue

5 minutes ago, Johnny Blue said:

I note that my, similar but perhaps too tangential, response passed under JaneB's radar!

I thought that your illuminating insight into your personal life was worthy of an oscar in fact Johnny. Perhaps, in the end, Jane's comment was merely a slip of the tongue?

44 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

That's very nice of you to say so Jane, but me take the p***?  I say! I'm far too gallant doncha know?

30 minutes ago, Johnny Blue said:

23 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

I thought that your illuminating insight into your personal life was worthy of an oscar in fact Johnny. Perhaps, in the end, Jane's comment was merely a slip of the tongue?

OMG I really am a naïve c*** aren't I???!!!

On further 'English language' investigation I now realise that PR's original comment was a stroke of comedy genius.  I used the word cunningness in all innocence!

I wanted to reply to your comment JB but wasn't sure if you were taking the p*** (you were) out of me or Mrs JB or both of us.  There's no need to start showing off though using words like tangential..........

Now back to the football. 

Edited by JaneB

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Haven't felt this confident for a home game in ages. Pressure really off after Friday. Gonna spank em

Agreed 7-0