• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Rubbish.  Conte got Fabregas wrong - has hardly played him and left one of our best 3 players (Fabregas, Kante and Hazard with Costa close behind) on the bench for almost a season while playing the referee.

Conte is due a lot of praise, but nor for his management of Fabregas.

Cesc was brilliant yesterday, but Middlesbrough provided the ideal opposition for him. Faced with a consummate artist as a playmaker, they stood off him and allowed him full rein to play to his strengths. But there have been other times when Cesc has been picked to start and he's faced a different type of opposition, one which competes aggressively in midfield and, in those games, he and therefore the team have struggled to gain control and we've found it hard to gain the ascendancy.

I think that's why Conte has exercised his judgement of each upcoming fixture before making a decision on who to start in midfield. On those occasions when he's opted for Kante and Matic it has frequently been the case that Cesc has come on later and often made a decisive contribution, but it's questionable whether he should just be started in every match without regard to how well suited he might be to its conditions.

I think Friday could well be such a case. WBA will not play like Middlesborough. If Cesc plays from the start they will not let him do as he likes as Boro did. Instead they'll be in his face and doing everything to knock him off his stride. Therefore I will not be surprised if Conte starts him on the bench and, if Kante is fit to play, reverts to he and Matic in the starting XI.. 

kev61   
20 hours ago, zaffo said:

Conte's already appears to be looking ahead with regards to the squad and rebuilding (read below). This isn't his first rebuild, he was very active in the market at Juventus in his first two seasons turning the squad over. As long as we back him in the market, don't be surprised if we have a rather active summer.....

Thanks for the response Zaffo I never knew that,better than a four letter response.

kev61   
22 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

We'll have more games to play and we'll get a bigger squad? That's what usually happens.

What makes you think that they're not thinking that?

Not my favourite player, but tbh I've seen worse over the years in the CL (winners and losers!).

Mate, he's only just arrived in England! Nothing he's said so far remotely suggests that he's thinking about returning to Italy any time soon. Quite the opposite, in fact. If he's going to look anywhere, my guess from reading Conte himself, is that he'll be looking for a different challenge - maybe in Spain? Or even Germany. Maybe then, back to Italy - but I think that's a while away.

I'd suggest that he's on pretty fair money at Chelsea right now, wouldn't you agree? Money that would certainly bve increased if he was saying to RA that it's an issue.

Really? And you know this how, Kev? It's been well documented as to why Conte's family are still in Italy, and it has nothing to do with them being 'home birds' does it?

After 2 seasons, just about every Chelsea manager's future is 'questionable'. 

Personally, I'm happy to have him while he's here, and I'll let Roman worry about anything after that.

Michael I'm thinking out loud.It's a forum,I say what I think(is that a crime?).I usually go against the grain and am right more times than I'm wrong(subjective of course).There is nothing I have said that can be described as **** by a very enlightened poster.

kev61   
4 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Cesc was brilliant yesterday, but Middlesbrough provided the ideal opposition for him. Faced with a consummate artist as a playmaker, they stood off him and allowed him full rein to play to his strengths. But there have been other times when Cesc has been picked to start and he's faced a different type of opposition, one which competes aggressively in midfield and, in those games, he and therefore the team have struggled to gain control and we've found it hard to gain the ascendancy.

I think that's why Conte has exercised his judgement of each upcoming fixture before making a decision on who to start in midfield. On those occasions when he's opted for Kante and Matic it has frequently been the case that Cesc has come on later and often made a decisive contribution, but it's questionable whether he should just be started in every match without regard to how well suited he might be to its conditions.

I think Friday could well be such a case. WBA will not play like Middlesborough. If Cesc plays from the start they will not let him do as he likes as Boro did. Instead they'll be in his face and doing everything to knock him off his stride. Therefore I will not be surprised if Conte starts him on the bench and, if Kante is fit to play, reverts to he and Matic in the starting XI.. 

Couldn't agree more Pete,you're coming into a class of your own😄

4 hours ago, kev61 said:

Michael I'm thinking out loud.It's a forum,I say what I think(is that a crime?).I usually go against the grain and am right more times than I'm wrong(subjective of course).There is nothing I have said that can be described as **** by a very enlightened poster.

Kev, I'm pretty sure that I didn't describe your post as s**t, or suggest that you 'thinking out loud' was a  crime. That would appear to be your own invention. What I did do, was attempt to engage you in a conversation, and give you the respect of dealing with each of your 'points' individually - which, to state the blindingly obvious,  is also what you do on a forum. Your response here is mystifing, to say the least.

10 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Cesc was brilliant yesterday, but Middlesbrough provided the ideal opposition for him. Faced with a consummate artist as a playmaker, they stood off him and allowed him full rein to play to his strengths. 

Agreed - I made the same point about this game.

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

But there have been other times when Cesc has been picked to start and he's faced a different type of opposition, one which competes aggressively in midfield and, in those games, he and therefore the team have struggled to gain control and we've found it hard to gain the ascendancy.

Trouble is that any team that challenges us in midfield gains control of possession whoever starts.  Matic drops back and it is just Kante vs the world with midfield support coming from Pedro or Willian.
We can argue over whether Matic would offer more effort in midfield if he was so ordered, but it doesn't seem to be his job.

We are giving whatever Matic offers for free.  So why not just start Fabregas.

There is a quote from Michy that the front players' nickname for Fabregas is Santa.  

8 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

But Santa only works one day a year.😉

:) but with Fabregas it is like Christmas every day

paulw66   
19 hours ago, JaneB said:

Yes indeed, well a few miles west actually, but have always 'followed' the Albion and their ups and downs over the years because they are so close.  And I've rediscovered Brighton in the last few years and really like it.  Lots to explore.

I think they will struggle too and when we play them I hope we thrash them.  But other than that I hope they can have a decent run and at least finish above TFSW.  Can't wait to welcome him back to the Bridge next season.

I grew up in Burgess Hill, and used to call Brighton my 2nd team. Since they have started to do well, they have become my most hated team (outside of the Prem).

The number of people I know who have jumped on the Brighton bandwagon, grown men who used to go and watch another team / buy the replica shirt who now bang on about Brighton and claim to be a "fan" is just pathetic. I feel sorry for all the genuine fans who followed them at Gillingham and the Withdean...... what perfectly summarises this is when they played Sheffield Wednesday in the play offs last season, they didn't sell their allocation for the away game. Biggest game of their history in living memory, but the reality is, the majority of the fans are all plastic and when they do badly, they will all disappear. 

13 hours ago, Ham said:

Yawn. Hurtling towards 93 points says he got it just right. 

Yes. This is pretty much indisputable.