• Current Donation Goals

JaneB   
21 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

You mean "Hove Actually" then.  I had 2 years not so long ago living on the Brighton/Actually border (the down market bit in the middle) which was very pleasant.

Well I mean Worthing Actually, not quite as posh! 

Glad you enjoyed it down here.

JaneB   
7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I grew up in Burgess Hill, and used to call Brighton my 2nd team. Since they have started to do well, they have become my most hated team (outside of the Prem).

The number of people I know who have jumped on the Brighton bandwagon, grown men who used to go and watch another team / buy the replica shirt who now bang on about Brighton and claim to be a "fan" is just pathetic. I feel sorry for all the genuine fans who followed them at Gillingham and the Withdean...... what perfectly summarises this is when they played Sheffield Wednesday in the play offs last season, they didn't sell their allocation for the away game. Biggest game of their history in living memory, but the reality is, the majority of the fans are all plastic and when they do badly, they will all disappear. 

Really?  I don't think I could ever hate them that much, apart from when we play them next season.

I know some very genuine, long term Brighton fans who really deserve this but it will be interesting to see what happens if they go straight back down again.

15 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I grew up in Burgess Hill, and used to call Brighton my 2nd team. Since they have started to do well, they have become my most hated team (outside of the Prem).

The number of people I know who have jumped on the Brighton bandwagon, grown men who used to go and watch another team / buy the replica shirt who now bang on about Brighton and claim to be a "fan" is just pathetic. I feel sorry for all the genuine fans who followed them at Gillingham and the Withdean...... what perfectly summarises this is when they played Sheffield Wednesday in the play offs last season, they didn't sell their allocation for the away game. Biggest game of their history in living memory, but the reality is, the majority of the fans are all plastic and when they do badly, they will all disappear. 

I have an intense dislike for too many teams to include my home town in that list. When they used to play at the old crumbling Goldstone ground I seem to recall support was very good even when they were in the lower leagues. I remember watching Chelsea play them there about 1983 and the atmos was brilliant (although Chelsea did cram about 10,000 away supporters in that day!!). 

Since they knocked down the Goldstone and replaced it a Toys R Us it has been a tough ride for supporters. Withdean Stadium was no better than a non league ground and Gllingham was a two hour drive. Of course a brand new stadium and a team doing well will attract more dormant supporters (that's why they built it) and I can certainly remember being in Stamford bridge one cold soulless night in the 80s with about 8000 other folk scattered around the stands....people in glass houses and all that.  

I say well done to the Seagulls because promotion from that league on a limited budget is pretty good going. That said the Prem is a different ball game and I'm afraid I can see them going straight back down. It will be interesting to see if JT ends up there as one rumour suggested. At least he will feel comfortable in the blue and white!

Interesting quote from Begovic when asked what Conte had done to change Chelsea's fortunes so much. He said something like:

" when a new manager comes in the energy levels automatically rise. We have generally been more consistent and things have just gone our way a bit more. That's about it really".

8 hours ago, JaneB said:

Ahh Worthing! The place old people go die and then forget why they came.

kev61   
8 hours ago, JaneB said:

It's a small world.My neice lives in Worthing,she used to live in Brighton but moved to Worthing when she had kids.My eldest brother is thinking about moving from Stansted/takeley to somewhere around Brighton.

My brother owns a leather furniture store close to Stansted airport.Need a leather suite at a discounted price?...I'm your man😄

Edited by kev61

kev61   
21 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Kev, I'm pretty sure that I didn't describe your post as s**t, or suggest that you 'thinking out loud' was a  crime. That would appear to be your own invention. What I did do, was attempt to engage you in a conversation, and give you the respect of dealing with each of your 'points' individually - which, to state the blindingly obvious,  is also what you do on a forum. Your response here is mystifing, to say the least.

Michael I wasn't talking about you.There are people ready to put the boot in without explaining themselves,you must be used to that!

Jasonb   
8 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Interesting quote from Begovic when asked what Conte had done to change Chelsea's fortunes so much. He said something like:

" when a new manager comes in the energy levels automatically rise. We have generally been more consistent and things have just gone our way a bit more. That's about it really".

Agree with the bold text, the rest kind of makes sense though would have expected to hear something about the formation change too.

1 minute ago, Jasonb said:

Agree with the bold text, the rest kind of makes sense though would have expected to hear something about the formation change too.

He was certainly being a bit economical with his praise. Just wondering if he's on his way out?

4 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

He was certainly being a bit economical with his praise. Just wondering if he's on his way out?

I think it's been mooted recently that he's off , I've not been overly impressed myself anyway.