Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Middlesbrough 0

338 posts in this topic

Never ending or begining, like an ever spinning wheel..

Edited by Sea foot

The thing  about this season is, it is the most remarkable season I have ever witnessed in my time supporting Chelsea.we have went from a shambles(with more or less the same team as last year)to a team that finds answers to every game we play poorly.That has to be down to a very good manager - no luck involved at all.

5 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing  about this season is, it is the most remarkable season I have ever witnessed in my time supporting Chelsea.we have went from a shambles(with more or less the same team as last year)to a team that finds answers to every game we play poorly.That has to be down to a very good manager - no luck involved at all.

And one of the most refreshing things this season has been the change of environment around the club. The toxicity is gone, and outside of Costa's situation, there's been little drama whatsoever. Even then, the way that's been handled has been incredibly processional. 

It's funny how we see things differently.I remember having a discussion with a fellow Chelsea supporter about art.He said Picasso was the best artist in his opinion,I said Picasso was the equivalent of the emperor with no clothes on,Caravaggio however was the best IMO.If you get the chance to visit Malta, go to St john's in Valletta to see his works.

1 hour ago, zaffo said:

And one of the most refreshing things this season has been the change of environment around the club. The toxicity is gone, and outside of Costa's situation, there's been little drama whatsoever. Even then, the way that's been handled has been incredibly processional. 

Absolutely! And when you consider the extent of the on-field improvement from this season to last, it's quite staggering. 1st as opposed to 10th. 90+ points compared to 50. A (at least) 46+ goal difference, compared to +6. A minimum of 27 wins with 3 games left to play, compared to last season's total of 12 wins in total. And all done (dare I say it!?) with a squad that is around 5 players smaller than last season's. Major kudos to Conte, his coaches/assistants, and of course, the players!

3rd great season out of 4 - and all three have demonstrated a great environment.  
Given how so many have wilfully ignored the real issues of last season, it is no surprise that they are creating a fiction for this one too.

We have now had 9 great seasons of over 80 points and challenging for the title.  There are two common themes - one of them is John Terry.

19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

^No - defence formation is determined by the oppo, not our manager.  The "formation" just determines how the names get written on the sheet.

The real advantage of the 3 man defence was that it reminded Matic that he was not needed as a 3rd CB, Kante that his job was to hunt men outside the box not sweep up under Cahill and JT's feet, and the wingers that they were not auxiliary FBs.  It killed off the 8-1-1 format that was making us so vulnerable.  

This is pretty conventional stuff.  I do my best to be non-conventional and contrarian.  Yet oddly it is mostly when I stick to conventional wisdom that people react most strongly.

Droyism at its best.

Formation change, along with Conte drilling his players to keep their positions (no more profound than with Alonso and Moses) within the team when defending, has been one of the key factors in our success this season. However you want to spin it, it is undeniable that Conte has had a big impact not only with Chelsea, but how other Premier League teams have set up, due to Conte's 'formation change'.

You have a very unique perspective Droy. And you always spin it so that your reality is the reality. But only in your world.

19 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

It wasn't just that. We also had a manager who decided that we needed to try harder and harder to make a clearly unsuccessful approach work, without having either the nous or the inclination, (one or the other, possibly both), to make changes. He also failed to capitalise on the outstanding talents at his disposal, like Eden obviously. Instead he maintained his insistence that all players should track back, for example, and we have seen this year, under a fresh management that is much more flexible and adaptive to the circumstances he encountered, how much there is to be gained from a player like Eden when you contrive a way of playing that plays to his strengths, instead of treating him in the same way as all of the others.

All of that is down to Conte who has performed outstandingly. Your post suggests that basically anyone could have done it. Well, certainly 2 others at least, They being 1,) JM of course, despite the fact that last season he had a near identical squad and singularly failed to motivate and orchestrate the squad as Conte has done and 2), yourself. I wonder why you're not out there being chased by the Chinese rather than wandering up and down Eltham High Street looking at park benches. You seem to think that, while you acknowledge Conte's success. at the same time, you believe that all that he has achieved is elementary Watson and anyone at all could do it.

Excellent post. Totally agree.

5 hours ago, zaffo said:

Yep. Conte's enthusiasm and passion is infectious with the players and the fans.

4 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Absolutely! And when you consider the extent of the on-field improvement from this season to last, it's quite staggering. 1st as opposed to 10th. 90+ points compared to 50. A (at least) 46+ goal difference, compared to +6. A minimum of 27 wins with 3 games left to play, compared to last season's total of 12 wins in total. And all done (dare I say it!?) with a squad that is around 5 players smaller than last season's. Major kudos to Conte, his coaches/assistants, and of course, the players!

Bingo!