Michael Tucker

Chelsea 3 Middlesbrough 0

338 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ripz said:

It's very interesting watching Juve tonight, playing our formation but with more of an AM and two up front. They move the ball much quicker than us and when it's out on the wings you have the 3 attackers getting in the box, much different to our guys who come close and drop deep and end up with 1 in the box. I'd love to see us play with 2 up top.

Allergi instilled a bit more freedom in the team after Conte left. He tried to change the system completely back to a 4321/4312 or whatever it was initially and it failed to the point where certain players told him to go back to the system Conte had. After doing that, performances and results improved immediately. Since then he's utilised the system in a more adventurous way. Players have a bit more room to express themselves, although more defensive lapses happen because there isn't quite the same level of astuteness tactically. The team's been playing more of a 4231 lately again because of some struggles once more. Allergi's managed to do it in a way where he's still playing with three forwards (Mandzukic, Dybala and Higuain) are on the pitch. Add to that Cuadrado at times for some serious attacking threat. Seemed to have worked for the most part, particularly at home. Away though is where the struggles have come.

I think there's a chance we'll see more 352 here under Conte in the future. However, not until the squad is revamped. Having players like Pedro, Willian and Hazard means we're more suited to using AM's still. While a lack of CM's would stretch us significantly playing three of them each week.

Happy 30th Birthday to the awesomely wonderful but, even now, underrated by some, Cesc Fabregas who has to play in this one. 

2 people like this

The last game I went to the bridge was against Middlesbrough when Mourhino was in charge.I like to watch players off the ball.Celestine Babayaro irked me for a long time with his positional ability.. on TV.I thought he can not be that bad in real life,he was that bad,but ironically scored the winning goal in a 1-0 win.

Questions:why did Mourhino continue to play him when he had no positional awareness?and the same can be said of Ivanovich,and OK I'll throw it in there - why did Mourhino let Drogba take corner kicks when he was the most dangerous player in the opponents box?our champion's league success proved that.

Posted (edited)

just realised West Ham v Spurs is a Friday night match, Sky really pumping up the atmosphere potential there, genius or crazy lol? We don't play until Monday so plenty time to get our heads right. Middlesbrough will be an interesting game, they've been solid and did well against City but draws just wont cut it for them anymore, it's win or bust.

If Hull win at home to Sunderland then Middlesbrough are 9 pts from safety with only 3 games left, they'd have to go mental for the win, could be an entertaining game.

Edited by ripz

3 hours ago, ripz said:

If Hull win at home to Sunderland then Middlesbrough are 9 pts from safety with only 3 games left, they'd have to go mental for the win, could be an entertaining game.

Or over in 10 mins if we start Fabregas.

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

The last game I went to the bridge was against Middlesbrough when Mourhino was in charge.I like to watch players off the ball.Celestine Babayaro irked me for a long time with his positional ability.. on TV.I thought he can not be that bad in real life,he was that bad,but ironically scored the winning goal in a 1-0 win.

Questions:why did Mourhino continue to play him when he had no positional awareness? 

How interesting.

Mainly because Celestine Babayaro only started three PL games under Mourinho and was released on a free in January 2005. 

None of those starts were against Middlesbrough either home or away. The winning goal away to Boro (where we won 1-0) was scored by Drogba and not Babayaro (who wasn't even in the match day squad).

29 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

How interesting.

Mainly because Celestine Babayaro only started three PL games under Mourinho and was released on a free in January 2005. 

None of those starts were against Middlesbrough either home or away. The winning goal away to Boro (where we won 1-0) was scored by Drogba and not Babayaro (who wasn't even in the match day squad).

Back to you Kev. :happy:

1 hour ago, blue moon said:

In the absence of a definitive answer from Kev, Babayaro started against Boro in 2001, and scored a goal just after halftime. I was there. A Google search shows this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2430173.stm. Over to you and the humble pie, Dave ;-)

My sarcasm detector may be a bit off, but Kev was insinuating that Mourinho had played a badly performing Babayaro continuously and that he had watched a Boro game at the Bridge when Jose was the manager and Baba scored. 

In 2001, Jose was managing Uniao de Leiria...  

5 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

My sarcasm detector may be a bit off, but Kev was insinuating that Mourinho had played a badly performing Babayaro continuously and that he had watched a Boro game at the Bridge when Jose was the manager and Baba scored. 

In 2001, Jose was managing Uniao de Leiria...  

But apparently Mourinho continued to play him, Dave. Silly Mourinho, picking a player to play for Chelsea whilst managing another club.