202 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

It keeps me sane to be honest. A few hours at a gig is about the only time you completely forget about life's little worries. We play a kind of bluesy country rock. I'll send you a track if you like via a PM (if that's possible).

OK, that would be good.

On 12/05/2017 at 11:08 PM, kev61 said:

Well it won't sink in for a day or two.I have to work tomorrow(I have to get that 20 quid back I lost!)but I will enjoy going to the pub on Sunday.There is a snivelling little half - wit of a Manu supporter that has given me a hard time after our 2-0 loss against them.

It will be nice to walk into the bar with my Chelsea shirt on and look in his direction and kiss the badge,no dialogue needed.Spurs will then beat them and he will !look the fool that he is.

Well he hadn't the balls to turn up,not surprising given that he knew they would lose and I would be there as a supporter of the CHAMPIONS!!!...sad really.

4 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Charlie Cooke! I loved him.

Impressive contribution from 'er indoors too!

Ahh Charlie Cooke.There are two players I have seen in real life that made the hairs on my neck stand up.One was Charlie and the other George Best.

The first time I went to the bridge was the mid 70's,it was a wednesday night under the floodlights and we beat Huddersfield 4-1(sleeping Dave will now tell me Huddersfield were not in first division then or we weren't. 😊)Entering the ground I can only describe as walking through the pearly gates if there is such a thing.

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

Ahh Charlie Cooke.

Pretty much says it all for me!  Absolutely electric, and a true excitement machine. Worth the price of admission, all by himself.

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

There are two players I have seen in real life that made the hairs on my neck stand up.One was Charlie and the other George Best.

Ditto.

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

Ahh Charlie Cooke.There are two players I have seen in real life that made the hairs on my neck stand up.One was Charlie and the other George Best.

I think I can remember just two goals in detail from live matches (and without seeing multiple replays).  The 1978 4-3 over Bolton - the one Clive Walker actually scored rather than set up from very very wide (think Lampard and Barcelona but a hard swerving shot with the keeper off his line).

And the Ossie Testimonial game in 75/6.  Not sure if the program got the teams exactly, but it was very close to this.  Old Chelsea (plus George Best, why not) vs young Chelsea.

Football Programme

Best got two, and the one I remember would have been a tricky tap in from 4 yards out in the middle of the goal with 3 or 4 players between him and goal.  Instead of smashing it with his right, he just lofted the ball over his head and down onto his left, and rolled it into an empty net, with everyone having thrown themselves at an imaginary shot from his right.  Ridiculous.

PS no idea where Cooke was for this game - maybe he played, dunno.  He had returned and should have been with the young Chelsea team.

Well that was emotional.

Congrats to everyone. The team, management, club, supporters and everyone involved. There's relief and joy in equal measure. It's been a ride, but oh so worth it.

As for the game, never in doubt. I'm usually a pessimist, a conservative really when in comes to watching us play. But I just knew we were going to win. I knew it was coming, and really, the later the better. It meant more.

So happy for Michy. He's been patient, witty, and entirely respectful of his circumstances. For him to get the title winner would have meant so much to him. Really well taken goal too. A striker's goal. I hope he stays.

Couldn't be happier for Antonio as well. In a short space of time, he's become as loved as anyone associated with the club. And he's done it with respect and dignity. Whatever happens, he'll always be a fabric of the club. Having said that, there's a lot more to be achieved and you can sense we're really building something quite special here. Exciting times.

For now, let's revel in this with pride and reflection. 

Carefree.

1 person likes this

On 12/05/2017 at 4:57 PM, Droy was my hero said:

No.

Compare the previous two year periods or the previous 3 year periods let alone the previous decades.

Its like claiming a star Grand Prix driver has had an outstanding race because he crashed the previous race and finished last.

Well it is nothing like that at all. We were told by Dave to behold the improvement Poch has made to Spurs since he was been there. I don't think that this is much to write home about - they're better but they're still empty handed again. We were also told to be fearful of Poch should he continue to improve them next season. Meh.

I'm saying the improvement Conte has made in a much shorter time to this squad now compared to the improvement JM made when he took over in his first season is better and more stark. The playing field is also not the same as it was a dozen year ago when we were the only ones that could spend what he - and to a degree Ranieri - spent assembling the 2004/05 squad.

However, just for shits and giggles - if it was like the picture you're trying to illustrate then it is two completely different drivers using the same car along the same stretch of road. One driver doesn't get the car out of 2nd gear because he is completely incapable of using the clutch properly, doesn't know how to take the handbrake off and also filled the unleaded, super charged engine with diesel. What a dick - he's steering it all over the place and almost off the road and so he is removed from the drivers seat lickety-split.

The other driver jumps in and after a very short period where the engine is bled and the right is fuel added he gently corrects the erratic steering, releases the handbrake, engages the clutch in the correct way and over the length of the road moves the car through it's gears professionally but ever so skilfully winning the race comfortably. He hasn't driven got the most expensive car in the race and hasn't had the biggest engine but he got the car to perform better than the car has in a decade. The contrast between the drivers couldn't be more stark; results and performance are there for all to see.

~ Champions :)

Edited by Hugh Jars 99
1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Well it is nothing like that at all. We were told by Dave to behold the improvement Poch has made to Spurs since he was been there. I don't think that this is much to write home about - they're better but they're still empty handed again. We were also told to be fearful of Poch should he continue to improve them next season. Meh.

I'm saying the improvement Conte has made in a much shorter time to this squad now compared to the improvement JM made when he took over in his first season is better and more stark. The playing field is also not the same as it was a dozen year ago when we were the only ones that could spend what he - and to a degree Ranieri - spent assembling the 2004/05 squad.

However, just for shits and giggles - if it was like the picture you're trying to illustrate then it is two completely different drivers using the same car along the same stretch of road. One driver doesn't get the car out of 2nd gear because he is completely incapable of using the clutch properly, doesn't know how to take the handbrake off and also filled the unleaded, super charged engine with diesel. What a dick - he's steering it all over the place and almost off the road and so he is removed from the drivers seat lickety-split.

The other driver jumps in and after a very short period where the engine is bled and the right is fuel added he gently corrects the erratic steering, releases the handbrake, engages the clutch in the correct way and over the length of the road moves the car through it's gears professionally but ever so skilfully winning the race comfortably. He hasn't driven got the most expensive car in the race and hasn't had the biggest engine but he got the car to perform better than the car has in a decade. The contrast between the drivers couldn't be more stark; results and performance are there for all to see.

~ Champions :)

Excellent.  

On 5/12/2017 at 10:29 PM, chelboy said:

Love the fact it was Michy who got the winner. he's had such a frustrating season. 

Absolutely

On 5/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, Lampen said:

Everyone out partying? Or is this the shortest thread ever? Do people only comment when we lose?

These threads are only long when we have a bad result and people come to moan

On 5/13/2017 at 1:46 AM, Chelsea-Till-I-Die said:

CHAAAAMPIOOOOOONES, CHAMPIONES, OLE OLE OLE!!!!!! CHAMPIONS!!!!!! WE F&CKING DID IT!!!

SO proud of this team of ours, phenomenal effort all season and richly deserved.

ANTONIO CONTE IS THE TRUTH!!!! If you doubt that even 1% you're clueless. Beast of a manager. Proper hero. Chelsea legend in his first season. Don.

Absolutely delighted for Batshuayi too! Whatever happens he will never ever be forgotten at Chelsea now. EVER!

Really want us to win the last 2 games and get that wins record but motivation will be tough with the Cup Final approaching.

The target now is to win the FA Cup. Big time.

CHAMPIONS!!!!

Nicely put. 

On 5/13/2017 at 8:48 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

Anyone else having a severe hangover today? 

I did, yes. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:51 AM, PeteRobbo said:

High praise from the Guardian today:

"It is now 14 years since Roman Abramovich emerged as an spendthrift presence in west London. Five titles and a Champions League win have now sealed Chelsea’s place as the dominant English club of that period. For all the glories of the Ferguson end-game, Manchester City’s rise and Arsenal’s unflinching desire to finish in the top four and occasionally win the FA Cup, this is now Chelsea’s mini-era."

Onward and upward. What a good feeling to have on a Saturday like today, when all of the others are still sorting out their end of season issues and we can sit back and revel in a job superbly done.

Yes, 5 in 14 is a lot better than 3 in 11. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:58 AM, Mark Kelly said:

I actually think this one feels as good as Jose's first one , we've not been at our very best recently and last night the goal took forever to arrive and it being scored by Bats makes it feel even better.

After what happened last season, I agree. This was out of the Blue. 2005 we had clearly the best squad and manager. 

4 hours ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

I can see you disregarded to reply to my previous post on this subject. Also quite astounded over your aggressiveness and quite frankly, arrogant attitude towards Spurs this season. I get they are a team most of us hate with a passion but your replies on this subject is beyond illogical I'd say.

If we are to measure the progress that Conte has made, we can, if you'd like to pretend last season was our actual level, say Conte has improved us by going from 1.32p/game to 2.42p/game. An improvement by 83%. The problem doing that, for you that is, is how on earth you're supposed to explain the 2.29p/game in 2014/15 and 2.16p/game in 2013/14 we achieved under Mourinho if our actual level was 1.32? 

In reality, and as most of us understand, is that the 2015/16 season was a massive blip and outlier. A perfect storm if you like. A far more reasonable measurement is to go back in time and measure progress over several seasons. Any analysis worthy of its name would take such an approach. Mostly because you then even out outliers and flukes. 

If we are to take such an approach, Conte has achieved an improvement by 6% - still very good considering the level of performance by Chelsea in 2014/15. 

If we are to compare that to Pochettino, and using your own logic of how little worth Mourinho's accomplishments held due to his spending power, then surely the same flawed logic has to be used to Pochettinos Spurs? He's had a net spend of £20m over three seasons. Over the same three seasons we've spent over £65m net. Fact is, Conte has spent as much net in one summer as Jose did in three... And more than double of what Poch has done in his three seasons at Spurs. Pochettino has taken them from a point/game ratio of 1.82 in 2013/14 to 2.22 in 2016/17 with virtually no spending at all and a very tight wage budget. That's a 20% improvement on a very small budget over a number of seasons. 

You may think that is nothing, I simply disagree. It's a fantastic achievement by them and although they haven't won anything, well what have they won pre-Poch? How many times in the last 50 years have they been in the race with a few games to go? Perspective please.