202 posts in this topic

"In sports, a choke is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a choker or, more derisively, as a choke artist."

We have squandered a large lead. We are going to be champions 

On 09/05/2017 at 10:22 AM, Sleeping Dave said:

I want three more wins to end up on 93 points and thereby ensuring its our second best PL season ever. 

To have three seasons with more points than Arsenals untouchable season would really put those Gooners in their place! 

Chelsea 2004-05: 95 points, +57

Chelsea 2016-17: 93 points, +?

Chelsea 2005-06: 91 points, +50

Arsenal 2003-04: 90 points, +47

It would be our fifth PL title in 13 seasons and our fourth (!!!) league and domestic cup double and our sixth double of any kind in as many seasons! 

Dave, following on from a different line of logic you've employed that the best team in the league isn't actually about to win the league, then I'll put this forward as an alternative view to the above.

If we get the three more wins which you mention then this Chelsea side that wins the title ensures that it is actually this year that is the best PL season ever. 2004/05 might have seen us win more points but should we win the three remaining games then we will have won more games - 30 and a Premier League record of wins in a single season. If you can make any sort of case whereby Spurs are currently the best team in the league then it is nowhere near as much of a stretch to say that a side that wins more games than in a comparable season has actually had a better term now than before.

Should you argue that it is more points (2004/05) that determines "what is best" then your stance on Spurs being the better team for the last few months is tripe. Which most of us knew anyway.

Should we win the league and win the next three, this is the best PL season ever.

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

"Someone who chokes may be known as a choker or, more derisively, as a choke artist."

Are you saying that for all these years I have been calling them Spuds, I should have been calling them Arty-chokes?

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Dave, following on from a different line of logic you've employed that the best team in the league isn't actually about to win the league, then I'll put this forward as an alternative view to the above.

If we get the three more wins which you mention then this Chelsea side that wins the title ensures that it is actually this year that is the best PL season ever. 2004/05 might have seen us win more points but should we win the three remaining games then we will have won more games - 30 and a Premier League record of wins in a single season. If you can make any sort of case whereby Spurs are currently the best team in the league then it is nowhere near as much of a stretch to say that a side that wins more games than in a comparable season has actually had a better term now than before.

Should you argue that it is more points (2004/05) that determines "what is best" then your stance on Spurs being the better team for the last few months is tripe. Which most of us knew anyway.

Should we win the league and win the next three, this is the best PL season ever.

Even equally the number of wins, which we should do is a phenomenal achievement from a side that finished 10th last season. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Are you saying that for all these years I have been calling them Spuds, I should have been calling them Arty-chokes?

Very good. Maybe that name will stick

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

1. Dave, following on from a different line of logic you've employed that the best team in the league isn't actually about to win the league, then I'll put this forward as an alternative view to the above.

2. If we get the three more wins which you mention then this Chelsea side that wins the title ensures that it is actually this year that is the best PL season ever. 2004/05 might have seen us win more points but should we win the three remaining games then we will have won more games - 30 and a Premier League record of wins in a single season. If you can make any sort of case whereby Spurs are currently the best team in the league then it is nowhere near as much of a stretch to say that a side that wins more games than in a comparable season has actually had a better term now than before.

3. Should you argue that it is more points (2004/05) that determines "what is best" then your stance on Spurs being the better team for the last few months is tripe. Which most of us knew anyway.

1. I have never, ever said such a thing. What I did say was that if we would win the league (which we will) then there would be no question that we were the best team over the course of the season. In fact, at the time of my comment I clearly said we were the best side over the course of the season.

2. I think you are confused. I said that at the time, and over the last few months, Spurs had been the best side in the league both from a point perspective but also from a quality perspective.

3. Not really tripe at all. Perfectly consistent actually. Most points is obviously the yard stick - anything but is highly subjective.  

But nice try though. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

Ok. This is rather good.

/applause

8 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

1. I have never, ever said such a thing. What I did say was that if we would win the league (which we will) then there would be no question that we were the best team over the course of the season. In fact, at the time of my comment I clearly said we were the best side over the course of the season.

2. I think you are confused. I said that at the time, and over the last few months, Spurs had been the best side in the league both from a point perspective but also from a quality perspective.

3. Not really tripe at all. Perfectly consistent actually. Most points is obviously the yard stick - anything but is highly subjective.  

But nice try though. 

Well you said this:

"It is possible to be the best team in England right now and not winning the league. I stand by my statement - right now, and for a few months now, Tottenham has been the best team in England."

then you said this:

"They have a fantastic starting XI who are well-drilled and work ever so well together. They play a fast and attractive style, with high-press and a lot of focus on quick passes and overloading of teams. They have some incredible players, strong and with fantastic stamina."

then you said this:

"over the last couple of months they have amasses more points than us and have also played a lot better than we have."

all of which was used to illustrate that they - second placed Spurs without a chance of silverware again - are currently and have been for months better than us - the inevitable PL champions and possible FA Cup winners. 

You'll have to forgive me then Dave but just what does "best in the league" mean currently or for the last few months or next week? It might have been better for you to use "playing the best football" instead of being such a preacher about who was "the best" but that - as you say now - is subjective and unusable. I can find no angle where Spurs have ever been the best team in the country this season, not even when they turned us over at their place a few months back. 

We're 2 wins from a league and cup double, they're a draw away from zilch again. You sound like Jermaine Jenas.

58 minutes ago, Hugh Jars 99 said:

The Jerusalem Artichokes, presumably. You could scarcely call them Global

just a quick question, is anyone actually doing any work...? I'm counting the hours before kick-off