119 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think he was the last of the regular starters to get a goal this season. Moving forward I see him as captain material.

Prefer him to Cahill to be honest. Brilliant consistency which is what you need from a skipper....and I expect respected by one and all. 

Did well - Zouma, Michy (just) Chalobah, JT (not that it matters).  If we have to have a defensive DM to allow Kante license to play the Artful Dodger and nick hankerchiefs all over the stadium, then it should be Azpi or Chalobah.  Players that can get close/challenge a man on the ball without necessarily over-committing.

Plain superb world class players irrespective of the game:  Azpi, Kante, Willian, Hazard, Pedro, Fabregas.  We are just so lucky to have these players  (and one or two more, Cahill, Costa, Courtois).  Nevermind claims we have spent lightly in recent years, the club has gathered these great players together, and no set of fans can ask for more.  And we have Conte too :)

Slight disappointments.  Kenedy, Ake (for trying to win the ball and not realising that the oppo right footed LB would most want to cut inside of him).  

Moment of the match - JT heading the ball on the ground from a fallen position, just before ref gave a foul against Cleverly.  I noticed it, Carragher noticed it post match, but no one else seems to have.  Gutsy.

Could have been 6-2.  Boys did well.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:17 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Another crap clueless frightened guessing ref. Just for a change.

2 bookings in 11 minutes made a proper game of it.  Full credit to Lee Mason for that.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Fabregas , give him a contract and the captaincy for goodness sake.

At Arsenal and Chelsea he is the man who knows when to stop passing the ball about and do something direct with it.  This time he shot first touch & goal.

21 hours ago, kev61 said:

Just watched motd and Danny Murphy thinks Hazard would be missed more than Conte if either would leave!.

Another x professional footballer that is clueless and he gets to go on TV!.

He'd certainly be a lot more expensive to replace - which kind of tells you what the market things of that.

Of course Danny Murphy is right - and you are wrong.  You'd have to read 10 000 sports pages and none of the financial pages to think otherwise.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Did well - Zouma, Michy (just) Chalobah, JT (not that it matters).  If we have to have a defensive DM to allow Kante license to play the Artful Dodger and nick hankerchiefs all over the stadium, then it should be Azpi or Chalobah.  Players that can get close/challenge a man on the ball without necessarily over-committing.

Plain superb world class players irrespective of the game:  Azpi, Kante, Willian, Hazard, Pedro, Fabregas.  We are just so lucky to have these players  (and one or two more, Cahill, Costa, Courtois).  Nevermind claims we have spent lightly in recent years, the club has gathered these great players together, and no set of fans can ask for more.  And we have Conte too :)

Slight disappointments.  Kenedy, Ake (for trying to win the ball and not realising that the oppo right footed LB would most want to cut inside of him).  

Moment of the match - JT heading the ball on the ground from a fallen position, just before ref gave a foul against Cleverly.  I noticed it, Carragher noticed it post match, but no one else seems to have.  Gutsy.

Could have been 6-2.  Boys did well.

2 bookings in 11 minutes made a proper game of it.  Full credit to Lee Mason for that.

At Arsenal and Chelsea he is the man who knows when to stop passing the ball about and do something direct with it.  This time he shot first touch & goal.

He'd certainly be a lot more expensive to replace - which kind of tells you what the market things of that.

Of course Danny Murphy is right - and you are wrong.  You'd have to read 10 000 sports pages and none of the financial pages to think otherwise.

Am I missing something?.For any reason Conte will be the best investment we have ever made apart from Abramovich.

5 hours ago, kev61 said:

Am I missing something?.For any reason Conte will be the best investment we have ever made apart from Abramovich.

All the research says managers add little.  The market says managers add little.  Your continued abuse of the best paid and most successful manager out there suggests managers add little.

You might be right - but it would be extremely controversial and against all consensus opinion to say so.

Edited by Droy was my hero

19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

All the research says managers add little.  The market says managers add little.  Your continued abuse of the best paid and most successful manager out there suggests managers add little.

You might be right - but it would be extremely controversial and against all consensus opinion to say so.

So what you're doing is that any manager could have seen the same results as JM between 2004-2007? He's nothing special?

A question for the Stattos amongst us: in previous seasons, when we've won the league with games to spare, did we not usually/always lose the subsequent fixtures (wearing flip-flops an' all that)?

43 minutes ago, Johnny Blue said:

A question for the Stattos amongst us: in previous seasons, when we've won the league with games to spare, did we not usually/always lose the subsequent fixtures (wearing flip-flops an' all that)?

From memory in 2005 we beat Charlton at home but lost 2 away games. In 2006 we lost the last 2. 

In 2010 we won on the last day

In 2015 we won 1, drew 1, lost 1 of the last 3. 

1 hour ago, Ham said:

So what you're doing is that any manager could have seen the same results as JM between 2004-2007? He's nothing special?

Excellent Ham

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

1. All the research says managers add little.  The market says managers add little.  

2. You might be right - but it would be extremely controversial and against all consensus opinion to say so.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If 1 is true, then how or why would 2 be true?