143 posts in this topic

Am a bit late to this so will add just a few observations:

1) Alonso is an absolutely brilliant set piece taker who should be taking the majority of them. His technique and accuracy is remarkable.

2) Once again you can only marvel at Fabregas' passing. The long ball that led to Pedro's goal was ridiculous. The ball ran to him on the center circle and he looked up for barely a second before launching it straight into Pedro's path. Pedro celebrated the goal with a binoculars gesture. Fabregas has binocular vision.

3) JT. Don't even know what to say here, except, thank you. Captain, leader, legend. 

10 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Am a bit late to this so will add just a few observations:

1) Alonso is an absolutely brilliant set piece taker who should be taking the majority of them. His technique and accuracy is remarkable.

2) Once again you can only marvel at Fabregas' passing. The long ball that led to Pedro's goal was ridiculous. The ball ran to him on the center circle and he looked up for barely a second before launching it straight into Pedro's path. Pedro celebrated the goal with a binoculars gesture. Fabregas has binocular vision.

3) JT. Don't even know what to say here, except, thank you. Captain, leader, legend. 

Agree. As the season has worn on, he's taken more of them, though. Alonso strikes me as a quiet person, so against bigger personalities, like Luiz for example, he was always going to play second fiddle when it came to free kicks. That was certainly the case at the beginning of the season. Obviously he's shown in training (and now in games) what he can do, as players like Willian and Luiz now seem OK about deferring to him when he feels it's in range for him.

I can only recall Alonso taking 5 free kicks at goal. One went in, 3 hit woodwork and one went gently into the GK's arms. 

He should be taking far more, I agree

1 person likes this