143 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Truly the best centre half we've ever had . Peerless.

With apologies to JT the best home grown one.

Not sure if agree with that! Well I definitely don't agree with that actually... I'm not even sure if I'd have Riccy in my top three (but certainly in my top four).

I suppose it's individual preferences on how you'd rank JT, Billy, Riccy and Desailly. 

22 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Why is this game not on TV?! Not even on the red button!

Who controls what games they show? What do those people think of us?

Mystery solved. 

😜

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I suppose it's individual preferences on how you'd rank JT, Billy, Riccy and Desailly. 

Very true.  All great.  Gallas hugely underrated.  But Desailly probably our best ever player, alongside Greaves, in pre-RA times.  

(counting Lampard as mostly post RA)

16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Very true.  All great.  Gallas hugely underrated.  But Desailly probably our best ever player, alongside Greaves, in pre-RA times.  

Personally , I thought Desailly was overrated , great player but everyone speaks about how great he was at "recovery tackles" , Carvalho was in the right place the first time and didn't need to recover. I think he and Gallas relied on their superb speed and athleticism whereas Riccy , married speed of feet with speed of thought.

Personal opinion though , we all see things differently , I thought Crespo was fantastic and have seen a few not rate him on here too.

56 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

........................................ But Desailly probably our best ever player, alongside Greaves, in pre-RA times.  

Very good player, no doubt. Not the bravest defender I've seen. Especially when playing against Alan Shearer. I watched him pass on the responsibility of marking Shearer no end of times.

There you go JT, over to to you, and a 19 or 20 year old JT would have to front up to Shearer, who was as tough as nails.

Riccy was a sneaky and subtlety (in the very best way) great player. Great positionally and quite quick in his halcyon days. A perfect foil for JT who was more openly aggressive. To consign Gall to the FB position said more about RC.  Who'll forget his little contact with Valdes just to make sure Terry's header went in against Barca and the third and final breakaway goal against Man Utd when we beat them to the PL in 2005/6.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not Zola?

4 hours ago, East Lower said:

Who'll forget his little contact with Valdes just to make sure Terry's header went in against Barca and the third and final breakaway goal against Man Utd when we beat them to the PL in 2005/6.

No will ever be allowed to forget it, I know.  My problem is I still haven't seen it.  half a dozen angles, 30 or 40 replays, but I can't see which bit of Riccy's body touches which bit of Valdes.  Whick leaves me wondering - maybe it didn't.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No will ever be allowed to forget it, I know.  My problem is I still haven't seen it.  half a dozen angles, 30 or 40 replays, but I can't see which bit of Riccy's body touches which bit of Valdes.  Whick leaves me wondering - maybe it didn't.

Watch Riccy's left hand and arm on Valdes left arm, sneaks behind him and gives him a little pull. Just enough to unsettle him and prevent Valdes from a free dive towards the headed ball.

1 hour ago, East Lower said:

Watch Riccy's left hand and arm on Valdes left arm, sneaks behind him and gives him a little pull. Just enough to unsettle him and prevent Valdes from a free dive towards the headed ball.

Watched it again, though obviously the youtube vids still up are not of high quality.
Still seems the same to me.  If you accept that he pulled him that is very probably when and how.  But if you start with the view that he doesn't touch him, I can't actually see any contact that disproves that.  

Like so many things, it is an assumption that something happened, but well short of evidence.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Watched it again, though obviously the youtube vids still up are not of high quality.
Still seems the same to me.  If you accept that he pulled him that is very probably when and how.  But if you start with the view that he doesn't touch him, I can't actually see any contact that disproves that.  

Like so many things, it is an assumption that something happened, but well short of evidence.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/I-may-have-fouled-victor-admits-Carvalho-7179662.html

Assuming those are direct quotes, Riccy seemed to recognise something happened. 

Whichever way round, he was part of the finest defence I think we've had. On a slightly related note and on topic should we keep a clean sheet on Sunday versus Sunderland, Courtois picks up the 'Golden Gloves' for most clean sheets (he still would, even if we did concede and Hull score against the PL runners up).

He's been very good this year and has made some critical saves at critical times, the one in the last seconds in this reverse fixture being a good example.