Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Bayern Munich 3

100 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Problem is that if we sign another AM then it locks us more into 343. Signing a CM is more beneficial because at least from there we can play either 343 or 352 more comfortably. Fabregas then becomes easier to accommodate in both systems. He could pick up minutes at AM (same as Morata w/ Michy upfront if desired) in 343. Or he becomes the "Pirlo" of a 352 with Baka and Kante flanking him on either side. 

An AM signing would mean that if we moved to 352 at any point it could mean not being able to utilise Hazard, Pedro or Willian in the same side and likely only one of those three would start - likely just behind the CF. We'd essentially be making one or two of these players redundant. 

We are locked into the 3-4-3. We haven't played 3-5-2 for a single minute this pre-season, not even when Morata and Michy were on the pitch at the same time. Morata played at LW, that should tell you how short we are. 

The 3-5-2 will most likely be used to shut games down, or perhaps for tough CL games away from home. Otherwise I don't see Conte moving away from the 3-4-3.

As it stands, Willian is our only fit AM for the community shield and perhaps even for the season opener. With a 50-60 game season on the horizon, we'll need 4 AM's per game, let alone the requirements for a season.

And FWIW, we need another CM as well. 

8 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

We are locked into the 3-4-3. We haven't played 3-5-2 for a single minute this pre-season, not even when Morata and Michy were on the pitch at the same time. Morata played at LW, that should tell you how short we are. 

The 3-5-2 will most likely be used to shut games down, or perhaps for tough CL games away from home. Otherwise I don't see Conte moving away from the 3-4-3.

As it stands, Willian is our only fit AM for the community shield and perhaps even for the season opener. With a 50-60 game season on the horizon, we'll need 4 AM's per game, let alone the requirements for a season.

And FWIW, we need another CM as well. 

Keyword was "more". Signing another established player would just lock 343 in further. Having 4 senior AM's (plus a Boga/Musonda) would mean that if we did move to 352 at any point that 2 of those 4 senior AM's  would be rendered useless in such a system - only Hazard and Pedro would be usable out of position as a second striker of sorts. Even then, doing this would mean that only one of Michy/Morata would play. After that we'd just be playing players out of position simply to accommodate them - not a good formula. 

If we're going to stick with 343 then we can make better use of Fabregas at AM now that he'll have Kante and Baka at CM behind him. It also opens the door for possibly Boga to pick up minutes there, which after all a number on here are wanting to see more youth given a chance and this is perfect opportunity - can't have it both ways on that one. While even Morata may fill the position at AM if needed. 

Signing an AM only makes sense if said player is an AM/ST combo and can be utilised as a striker option if desired. That would give us our third CF, while providing a more senior option at AM. Although, doing this would then basically mean we'd be shutting the door on Boga or Musonda getting some meaningful minutes.  

CM is probably more of a priority imo - pending Matic's situation. I think we can make do without buying another AM for the most part.

34 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

CM is probably more of a priority imo - pending Matic's situation. 

Agreed.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Problem is that if we sign another AM then it locks us more into 343. Signing a CM is more beneficial because at least from there we can play either 343 or 352 more comfortably. Fabregas then becomes easier to accommodate in both systems. He could pick up minutes at AM (same as Morata w/ Michy upfront if desired) in 343. Or he becomes the "Pirlo" of a 352 with Baka and Kante flanking him on either side. 

An AM signing would mean that if we moved to 352 at any point it could mean not being able to utilise Hazard, Pedro or Willian in the same side and likely only one of those three would start - likely just behind the CF. We'd essentially be making one or two of these players redundant. 

Where do 3 of our best players start in 352: Hazard, Willian and Pedro?  Even as subs?

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Where do 3 of our best players start in 352: Hazard, Willian and Pedro?  Even as subs?

Semantics really but I don't think we can play 3-5-2 with the central midfield we have, no one naturally gets forward to support the strikers. 3-5-1-1 with Pedro or Hazard behind the striker is the only way to avoid a huge gap between midfield and attack.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think Courtois, Fabregas and Luiz might have something to say about that!! (Pedro and Willian, not Hazard)

For me, if we ever play 3-5-2 next season, it'll be in big games away from home, e.g. Title competitors or Champs League.  Conte will pack the midfield and Hazard will likely have a free reign playing off Morata.  Pedro and or Willian would likely come on after 70 minutes or so for Cesc or Eden as fresh legs to protect a result, or to inject some creativity, replacing Alonso or Moses etc when searching for an equaliser. 

I kind of agree with you though, in that it doesn't play Pedro's or Willian's strengths, but we need different options and I'd be completely fine with the above scenario.  You could argue that 3-4-3 with Cesc in the team makes us vulnerable against the bigger teams?! 

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Semantics really but I don't think we can play 3-5-2 with the central midfield we have, no one naturally gets forward to support the strikers. 3-5-1-1 with Pedro or Hazard behind the striker is the only way to avoid a huge gap between midfield and attack.

Still don't like 352, but I do think Hazard would start as 2nd striker in 352.  And we might find with 352 the WBs are even more advanced and attacking (perhaps different WBs, including Willian and Pedro as WB options).
Or as we saw late last season we might find Azpi push up much more into a midfield position in games.

But the imbalance against Bayern would best be served with the WBs actually being part of the midfield 5 (as for most of last season) instead of the 523 formation we actually played.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

But the imbalance against Bayern would best be served with the WBs actually being part of the midfield 5 (as for most of last season) instead of the 523 formation we actually played.

That relies on having pacey wingbacks and to an extent RCB and LCB. As we don't have that on the left Alonso drops deeper and deeper when regularly attacked.

14 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

352 would in a sense allow Kante a more box-to-box role and a bit more freedom. He's a little shackled compared to his spell at Leicester where he was also partnered with a more mobile player. Here he's had to also cover for Matic/Fabregas. With Baka coming in we're immediately more mobile.

For some opposition it might simply be better to change the personnel rather than the formation. For instance, a 3-4-3 but with Morata and Michy in front of Hazard playing as a 10.

Edited by Sciatika