• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea Sign Tiemoue Bakayako

bakayoko-is-a-blue.img.png

Bakayoko is a Blue

NEWSSAT 15 JUL 2017

Tiemoue Bakayoko is a Chelsea player having today completed a transfer from Monaco.

Bakayoko, 22, is a tall, strong and quick central midfielder who was instrumental in Monaco’s Ligue 1 triumph last season, as well as their impressive run to the Champions League semi-finals.

He recently made his debut for France in the same line-up as new team-mate N’Golo Kante, and is widely recognised as one of the best young central midfielders in European football. 

Bakayoko, who has signed a five-year contract and will wear the No.14 shirt, said: ‘I am very happy to be here and to join this great team. I have grown up watching Chelsea. Signing was the natural thing for me because it is a club I loved very much in my childhood.

‘I am now looking forward to evolving under this fantastic coach and alongside so many great team-mates.’

Technical director Michael Emenalo added: ‘Tiemoue was outstanding as Monaco emerged as one of Europe’s best sides last season and we are delighted to welcome him to Chelsea.

‘Despite his young age he already has plenty of experience as a French title winner and having competed in the latter stages of the Champions League, we believe he will add considerable quality to our squad.’

In possession, Bakayoko typically plays quickly and simply but has the ability to be more expansive if required, and is strong in a one-on-one situation. 

His physicality, awareness and timing in the tackle means he is superb at winning the ball back and harassing opponents into mistakes. In a tight central midfield two at Monaco he starred as they unexpectedly beat Paris St-Germain to the title and also reached the last four of the Champions League, knocking out Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund en route. Bakayoko scored the decisive goal in a thrilling two-legged tie against the Premier League side.

Born in Paris, Bakayoko came through the Rennes academy in the north-west of France and made his senior debut in August 2013, a week after his 19th birthday.

He signed for Monaco the following summer and made almost 100 appearances for the principality side during his three seasons there, scoring five goals.

Welcome Tiemoue! 

Really excitig signing and can't wait to see him play with Kante. 

Have high hopes for him! 

Hard to argue with his pedigree ! Welcome Tiemoue ! Should've taken 13 like Ballack!

xCELERYx   

Good signing. Adds so much more mobility in midfield now and some extra bite. Won't be so reliant on Kante covering, so may mean we see these two interchange more often and get forward. 

Welcome to Chelsea.

I don't know much about him but I was at a do last night talking to a couple of gooners and they were telling me how impressed they were with him last season. Unfortunatley we had to talk about the cup final as well!! 

Welcome Tiemoue.

Good signing. He's a real unit who's good technically, very strong in the tackle and in the air, with a decent passing range and ability to go past players.

I saw an interesting stat yesterday which said that the only 2 CM's in Europe that completed 50+ take-ons, aerial duels and tackles were Bakayoko and Wanyama. That should explain Conte's preference seeing as he publicly prasied Wanyama last season. It's very encouraging that Bakayoko was probably Conte's first choice midfield signing and we've landed him.

He isn't the complete package just yet of course. He tends to drift in and out of games and lacks concentration at times, as well as positional discipline. He's going to need some time to develop and adjust to the league so we may have to be patient. It will help to have Kante by his side, as he does the job of two men.

Regardless, Bakayoko's only 22 and has a very high ceiling. It's going to be quite exciting to watch him reach his potential under Conte. 

Last summer there were only two midfield signings I wanted us to make - Verratti and Kante. 

This summer there were also only two midfield signings I wanted us to make - Verratti and Bakayoko. 

Really excited by him. Think he's a mix between Ballack and Essien. Great technique, awesome power and drive and should be a real threat on the quick counter we love to utilise. 

Him and Kante will be awesome together. I also think Rudiger has a very similar physical side being quick, strong and dynamic. I like the profile of the players we've signed so far. More steel, stronger and quicker. 

If we can make another 5-6 signings to the same standard we'll be golden. 

• Like 1

xCELERYx   

Bakayako could also now open up a real ability to play 352 in the manner Conte did with Juventus. 

Fabregas plays the role Pirlo did, while he can now be flanked on either side by athletic and mobile players in Kante and Bakayako. Then if we remain 343 and just use two CM's we've got two mobile ball winners to provide protection and control the midfield.

8 minutes ago, Johnny Blue said:

Is it pronounced 'Timothy', but without the 'th'?

Tee-eh-mou-eh but as two syllables, not the four the - might suggest... both the es are actually é