• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Tiemoue Bakayako

Recommended Posts

Zoowraa   
10 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

Note to self. Always go with the head. 

Yeah you called it in the summer. I was also in the negative camp and argued no better than Chalobah. To be fair, he impressed me early on and I am still not giving up on him though.

I still feel their is a good player in him. I think he is much more raw than his age suggests and I think he probably just needs to sit out a run of games and get a bit of a break. I think the pace of our league has really caught him out , more so in the time (or lack of compared to France) he has on the ball than the actual speed. Concentration also seems to be an issue, he switches off and gets careless in possession.

I do genuinely think he will be much better next season, he has shown flashes of being a good player for the future. I hope we dont come down too hard on the guy and ruin his confidence, I would almost write off this season and judge him next season when I am convinced we will see a better player.

I just don't think he is this world beating monster central midfielder some thought he would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Zoowraa said:

Yeah you called it in the summer. I was also in the negative camp and argued no better than Chalobah. To be fair, he impressed me early on and I am still not giving up on him though.

I still feel their is a good player in him. I think he is much more raw than his age suggests and I think he probably just needs to sit out a run of games and get a bit of a break. I think the pace of our league has really caught him out , more so in the time (or lack of compared to France) he has on the ball than the actual speed. Concentration also seems to be an issue, he switches off and gets careless in possession.

I do genuinely think he will be much better next season, he has shown flashes of being a good player for the future. I hope we dont come down too hard on the guy and ruin his confidence, I would almost write off this season and judge him next season when I am convinced we will see a better player.

I just don't think he is this world beating monster central midfielder some thought he would be.

I hope you are right but from watching him over the course of last season and this I have still yet to see him doing anything impressive or great as so many areas of his game are fundermentally lacking. For me, it will take an almost unheard of transformation for him to become a good/great player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

I hope you are right but from watching him over the course of last season and this I have still yet to see him doing anything impressive or great as so many areas of his game are fundermentally lacking. For me, it will take an almost unheard of transformation for him to become a good/great player.

Having been all in favour of this signing (he really impressed me on the few occasions I watched Monaco), I tend to share your view that he has so many weaknesses it's hard to see him coming good. His workrate can be improved (not difficult), but his passing is abysmal, as is his shooting. His positional play is so bad I can't see how Conte keeps picking him. On current form he doesn't possess any of the attributes of a serviceable midfielder, let alone a top class one.

I was gutted that Chalobah left as I felt he did an excellent job last season and fitted in seamlessly to our midfield when called upon. He was so composed, had a great touch, used the ball intelligently and was never caught out of position. Baka has - potentially - more dynamism (not seen it for months, though), but technically Chalobah is in a different league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
20 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I was gutted that Chalobah left as I felt he did an excellent job last season and fitted in seamlessly to our midfield when called upon. He was so composed, had a great touch, used the ball intelligently and was never caught out of position. Baka has - potentially - more dynamism (not seen it for months, though), but technically Chalobah is in a different league. 

Hell of a series of statements on a player who managed 159 minutes of PL football for us last season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Hell of a series of statements on a player who managed 159 minutes of PL football for us last season. 

 

I know Conte only gave him a few minutes here and there, so it's a fair point that I am overdoing the praise, but I genuinely felt he slotted in so comfortably and efficiently that he could have contributed a lot more in the future. It was no surprise to me that Southgate picked him for the full squad after a couple of games for Watford, as he knows what he can do. Watford have certainly missed him since his knee injury, which has probably cost him a trip to Russia.

I don't blame him for moving to get more game time, and I bet Baka's signing drove him out to some degree, but I wish he had stuck around for this season at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

You may want to hide behind the sofa when viewing this...
 

Stopped after 2 mins - very tedious video with dumb music where probably three quarters of the time is text in a bad font with the match video stopped.  Kill the text, kill the music, voice over the points and it would work fine.


But it also adopt the Gary Neville interpretation that he is playing as a DM and not getting back.  He is being picked as somewhere between CM and AM.  Where exactly, he doesn't know, I don't know, maybe Kante knows (he can often be seen shouting at him to get forward).  Presumably Conte knows.
I wouldn't expect Willian (who plays closest to that position in a 343) to get back, and I think it is wrong to expect the same from Babayoko.  Kante and Fabregas yes.

There is plenty to moan about Bakayoko I agree.  But most of all it is why on earth is he playing that role and not Kante, Fabregas, Drinkwater, Willian or Pedro.  We are not short of options.  Perhaps he is just keeping it warm for Barkley.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sea foot   

It doesn't matter what position he's playing in, the examples shown show him with the player and not staying with him. You would expect Drogba or Morata to track the man if they were in the same position so why not Baka. Or is it just to put the alternative view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

You may want to hide behind the sofa when viewing this...
 

 

Maybe it's not his fault and he's allergic to the ball? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone's favorite scapegoat of the moment.

Positives: Athleticism. Can get up and down the pitch. Good height and uses it well. Can tackle (yes, he does foul but overall a good tackler). Has good pace for a CM and from a pure athleticism consideration best compliments Kante in a 2 man midfield (343 or other variants).

Negatives: Overall skill level is below par relative to requirements on all fronts. Overall tactical awareness needs improvement. 

My 0.5 year verdict: The potential is definitely there and while he has a slow start to his CFC career, the young man requires patience and continued work off and on the training pitch. In a weird way, he reminds of the Sallah and KDB situations, two players who looked out of sorts on the team but after a few years elsewhere are now tearing up the league with one or the other, barring injuries, a certain bet for player of the season. Ironically, I feel he has more upside than Drinkwater and fits Conte's philosophy better notwithstanding that DD has played a bit better so far. The good thing for me so far is I see a player still working hard for the team notwithstanding the criticisms. His head has not dropped. As long as he keeps working hard, I feel his overall performances will improve over the next series of games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now