• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Alvaro Morata Gone on loan

9 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I politely disagree. There's absolutely no value in persisting with Morata going forward. He doesn't just go missing against top sides, he goes missing against virtually every team he faces. Unless he's literally spoon fed he contributes very little and it's often like playing with 10 men. 

He's just not a very good player and that's been the case from the beginning. 

Maybe I’m just a fan of Morata, but I do see a lot of positive qualities in him that hopefully he begins to translate into performances - namely his decent technique, speed and he does have a frame that should make him a lot more physically effective. 

I do also feel though that he is much much closer to remaining the player you described from the off. My main problem with dropping him is that we still (IMO) dont have a truly viable alternative on the bench. 

I mean, Giroud has a lot of supporters but this guy also doesnt score and he seems to suit a style of football that, evidently, disgusts the current manager. 

We can possibly rectify this situation in January but, IMO, until Morata’s competition remains so poor I really dont see the point in dropping him.

29 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

What Real Madrid call?

Absolutely everything points to RM wanting a new manager to replace Zidane.  Conte being that manager.  Chelsea refusing to let him go.
Once you accept that, every single statement, look, and especially the things not said (like good luck RLC on your England trip) falls into place.

Zidane "resigning" on the day of the CL final.  RM signing Lopetegui 3 weeks after he extended his Spain contract, Conte/club apparently not discussing transfer plans till almost the last few days of August.  The fall out with key players.  And especially the bad temper of Conte and all his coaching team all season, with the club/Marina being the target of all that anger

1 minute ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I mean, Giroud has a lot of supporters but this guy also doesnt score and he seems to suit a style of football that, evidently, disgusts the current manager. 

The key thing though is simply - can you pass the ball to the striker with a 50% hope it won't be lost immediately.  Giroud at least passes that  test.

11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

The key thing though is simply - can you pass the ball to the striker with a 50% hope it won't be lost immediately.  Giroud at least passes that  test.

Yeah I can agree with this. But is Sarri looking for that type of play from his CF though?

I'm less than convinced because Sarri chose Morata for the United game. I just think that Sarri is also hoping that Morata finds form because he would match Sarris style a lot better.

A lot of teams no longer play with a striker who needs to play with his back to goal and the ball played into the striker. I think if we are looking for that from Morata then we’re going to be perpetually disappointed as we should have known when we bought him that thats clearly not his game.

The team goal scored against Soton was a great example of what Morata can bring to the table. I've personally never seen Giroud do what Morata did. I'm also yet to see Giroud peel off of a defender and run onto the ball in space as well. 

Back to goal, ball played into him and defenders challenging him - yeah, Morata’s got no hope. But are we still trying to play like that though? I’m not so sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Am I being naive in thinking that Barclay could play the Lampard role to some degree? I know he's not on the same planet as Lamps but I do see things in him that I like. I think if he really really wants it and he is given a proper chance,  he could become an interesting player for us.

Ross Barkley is the only one who regularly seems to want to get into the box, other than Alonso. That's quite a worrying scenario when you sit back and think about it. Given our domination in most games, given players like Hazard, Willian and Pedro in the team, we really should be scoring more goals than we are, and not scrapping by 1-0 against the likes of PAOK and MOL Vidi

33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolutely everything points to RM wanting a new manager to replace Zidane

and I would say that absolutely everything points to a row between bad tempered Conte and feisty Marina would you not agree?

33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Marina being the target of all that anger

Oh you do!

edit: is it just the exact content of that row that we disagree with?

Edited by NoblyBobly

11 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

given players like Hazard, Willian and Pedro in the team, we really should be scoring more goals than we are

we should...with or without Morata.

Is that the crux of it? Those three players don't really enjoy mixing it up with defenders in a close up and personal environment...they don't have the height or physical body weight to push and shove and barge. They enjoy doing their stuff around the edge of the area where they have a bit more space for trickery and fleet of foot. Hazard does that brilliantly to be fair but Barclay could be the battering ram.

Just now, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Back to goal, ball played into him and defenders challenging him - yeah, Morata’s got no hope. But are we still trying to play like that though? I’m not so sure.

Morata isn't really trying to achieve anything.  If he were continually waiting for the ball behind the defenders he'd spend at least 50% of the time on-side.  I agree Giroud isn't the long term answer on age or on style.  

9 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

edit: is it just the exact content of that row that we disagree with?

Mostly just whether it was ever reported - reliably or unreliably.  Much as I don't think Conte complained seriously in public about the board or transfers.    But certainly there was conflict all season, and probably much worse.  I think that is clear now, and was clear then. 

The squad list of Sept 1st was evidence of serious football decision making flaws, of the kind that usually imply a massive fallout and zero communication.  Myself I predicted Conte would resign in September out of anger with the board's choices.  But as I counted the Serie A players and saw how much he was trying to get out of his recently improved contract, I realised that he was almost certainly complicit in the summer incompetence..  

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Is that the crux of it? Those three players don't really enjoy mixing it up with defenders in a close up and personal environment...they don't have the height or physical body weight to push and shove and barge. They enjoy doing their stuff around the edge of the area where they have a bit more space for trickery and fleet of foot. Hazard does that brilliantly to be fair but Barclay could be the battering ram.

Watch City - the players that get into the box are the 2 FBs, 3 forwards and 2 AMs.  7 players with the exceptions of 2CBs and Fernandinho.  And none but Walker are big.
At Chelsea it is Alonso (or Barkley or Fabregas if picked).  The 2nd against Man U it was Luiz, Rudiger and Barkley - because we had just had a corner.

I really think that numbers are the key, not size.

15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Mostly just whether it was ever reported -

It was widely reported that Marina and Conte weren't talking. A row often (but not always) precedes that behaviour. 

17 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I really think that numbers are the key, not size.

I agree, but our little fellows don't seem to want to get in there. Btw..first goal from a corner in 51 attempts. We'd be better of when we get a corner, passing it back to the centre circle and work it from there.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolutely everything points to RM wanting a new manager to replace Zidane.  Conte being that manager.  Chelsea refusing to let him go.
Once you accept that, every single statement, look, and especially the things not said (like good luck RLC on your England trip) falls into place.

Zidane "resigning" on the day of the CL final.  RM signing Lopetegui 3 weeks after he extended his Spain contract, Conte/club apparently not discussing transfer plans till almost the last few days of August.  The fall out with key players.  And especially the bad temper of Conte and all his coaching team all season, with the club/Marina being the target of all that anger

I think you and I were the only two that said this, more or less, for quite some time now. 

Anyway,

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/11534333/antonio-conte-approached-by-real-madrid-over-availability-to-replace-julen-lopetegui