• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Alvaro Morata Gone on loan

Recommended Posts

Kezza   
16 hours ago, Rob B said:

On the subject of loans, can anyone explain why across world football, loans have become the flavour of the month?

I.e. what is it from an accounting/commercial point of view that would make a loan more attractive than buying/selling a player outright?  Or it is simply the obvious which is less financial risk up front?

Off the top of my head, just this month I can think of Moses, Higuain, Morata, Prince-Boateng, Niasse, Puncheon, Babel, Clyne who have all gone out on loan - and these aren’t kids going out for their development these are seasoned pro’s 

Drinkwater's going on loan as well. He needs more minutes and experience so he can come back and challenge for the first team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, Kezza said:

Drinkwater's going on loan as well. He needs more minutes and experience so he can come back and challenge for the first team. 

I am not sure you understand how the transfer market works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
23 hours ago, Rob B said:

On the subject of loans, can anyone explain why across world football, loans have become the flavour of the month?

I.e. what is it from an accounting/commercial point of view that would make a loan more attractive than buying/selling a player outright?  Or it is simply the obvious which is less financial risk up front?

Off the top of my head, just this month I can think of Moses, Higuain, Morata, Prince-Boateng, Niasse, Puncheon, Babel, Clyne who have all gone out on loan - and these aren’t kids going out for their development these are seasoned pro’s 

A lot of it has to do with the cost of players these days. Transfer fees are ridiculous, once you factor wages and agent fees on top. It prices a lot of clubs out of deals, so the next best thing is to use the loan market. Smaller outlay upfront, while it allows clubs to have a sort of a "try before you buy" experience. 

For a club like ours, we've overpaid for a number of average players. We'd be unlikely to recoup that money if we went with straight up transfer, so using the loan system it allows us to possibly make back most of that money over several loan deals via loan fees - all while having wages subsidised in the process. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the BBC match report of the Madrid derby-

''After initially looking like a player who has not scored a league goal since November, he showed his pedigree with a brilliant first touch and then a delicate lobbed finish, only to be ruled offside.''

Compare to a similar situation V southampton a few weeks ago no mention of how he did things

''Morata thought he had scored when he put the ball into the net midway through the second half, but it was ruled out as he was given offside.''

 

Already angling themselves to be able to say Chelsea messed up by letting him go on loan...or just a differentr line of reporting once a player isn't playing in the premier league? His pedigree? You would think he was dragged off Hackney marshes the way the media and subsequently fans have talked about him this season. Perhaps he is now playing in a league and system that suits him better...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

Perhaps he is now playing in a league and system that suits him better...

If he knew where the offside line was, he'd still be playing for us, in the CL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/feb/27/january-transfers-europe-premier-league

Funny isn't it now he is back in Spain the guardian is happy to praise him-

His hold-up play has been strong so far. With eight shots, 10 successful dribbles and 21 aerial duels won in his first four league appearances for his new club

Perhaps the combination of a more physical league plus a system that doesnt help any centre forward to shine (Higuain the latest to suffer) made him look worse than he is...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, fillerywhereru said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2019/feb/27/january-transfers-europe-premier-league

Funny isn't it now he is back in Spain the guardian is happy to praise him-

His hold-up play has been strong so far. With eight shots, 10 successful dribbles and 21 aerial duels won in his first four league appearances for his new club

Perhaps the combination of a more physical league plus a system that doesnt help any centre forward to shine (Higuain the latest to suffer) made him look worse than he is...

 

 

 

Morata couldn't handle the physical nature of the PL.

Higuain already seems to be coping better. His link up play with back to goal is much superior to AM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Morata couldn't handle the physical nature of the PL.

Higuain already seems to be coping better. His link up play with back to goal is much superior to AM. 

I agree with that, but he is not getting any more chances than Morata was at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

I agree with that, but he is not getting any more chances than Morata was at the moment.

Morata was a completely ill-suited and subpar option to begin with. He was always going to struggle overall. Higuain while a far superior player is also on a natural decline. Neither are really optimal options. Although one is certainly more useful than the other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Morata was a completely ill-suited and subpar option to begin with. He was always going to struggle overall. Higuain while a far superior player is also on a natural decline. Neither are really optimal options. Although one is certainly more useful than the other. 

I agree that Higuain is a better allround player but the fact is our strikers do not get a lot of chances. Their function seems to be a linker of play primarily, they feed on scraps chances wise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now