• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Alvaro Morata.

Recommended Posts

paulw66   
4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Given that Chalobah has been more injured than Drinkwater, and RLC plays a role that Conte really doesn't want much of, I'm not sure I can agree with this.

Certainly I agree we won't get our money back on the three.  But actually I'd suggest that there were plenty of overpriced players around last summer and we should be grateful the club didn't spend a lot lot more.
 

You can't account for Chalobah picking up a knee injury whilst playing for Watford. Had he stayed here, he might not have got it! 

You won't find many more inflated, ridiculous transfers than £35m for Drinkwater. Absurd amount for an ordinary player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   

Back on track, sort of, if we sign a almost 30 year old striker for £95m, we are certifiable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You can't account for Chalobah picking up a knee injury whilst playing for Watford. Had he stayed here, he might not have got it! 

You are comparing a PL winner to a guy who has barely played PL or Serie A football, when both were injured.  Drinkwater looked ok to me, he might have looked a lot better with a run of games when fit.  Neither has either.

Plenty of worse deals - Bakayoko for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

You are comparing a PL winner to a guy who has barely played PL or Serie A football, when both were injured.  Drinkwater looked ok to me, he might have looked a lot better with a run of games when fit.  Neither has either.

Plenty of worse deals - Bakayoko for one.

Chalobah didn't get injured until late September. 

Drinkwater was injured (and ordinary) when we bought him. 

Bakayoko deal - we'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jones said:

Hah! I reckon you have don't have a business background then.

First, Bakayoko and Drinkwater are nowhere near able to recoup their hefty transfer fees. They will be sold at a loss. Second, even if we miraculously managed to get our money back, do you honestly think spending 95m on assets in 2017 and selling those assets for 95m in 2018 is good business? Putting the money in the bank would have given us a better return. Please add the following to equation:

1) they have done nothing more than Chalobah and RLC could have done. 

2) The 95m could have been invested in players that gave a positive return either by performances, by increasing in value or both

And on Giroud you follow up your horrible understanding of business with an even stranger suggestion, that if a player leaves for less than he was bought he cannot be a good investment. If we spend 18m on a player who leaves for 0 zero a couple of years later, there is of course every chance he can still be a good investment. Goals -> Results -> Increased revenues. Lampard is a great example here. Cost 11mp in 2001, left on a free 13 years later. Good or bad investment?

I would have though getting your money back less wages after 1 year, is a far better option than keeping a someone who is not good enough for 5 years and seeing then leave on a free.

As for Giroud, brought him when the club was 5th in the league where did we finish? So I guess he has improved the club position in the league which intern increased revenue?

RLC has made the England world cup squad due to the loan system, you only have to go back to last season to see how many matches he played as a squad player. Like it or not it would seem his time a Palace has given the lad time to mature and potently make his make on the senior squad next season. ON the other hand his value has quadrupled if he decided to move on.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/05/2018 at 10:21 AM, paulw66 said:

Winning the FA Cup is no return on investment? 

Can't remember his scoring the all important goal in the competition

 He did do the business at Southampton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RLC vs Baka or Drinkwater
In a tiny squad like ours last year, the key thing is "is the manager going to start the player without feeling it is an emergency choice".
Baka and Drinkwater pass that test, I don't think RLC even as later as September 2017.   Maybe he does for 2018, but I'm not sure.  (Frankly I'm not sure about Baka for 2018)

2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

RLC has made the England world cup squad due to the loan system, you only have to go back to last season to see how many matches he played as a squad player. Like it or not it would seem his time a Palace has given the lad time to mature and potently make his make on the senior squad next season. ON the other hand his value has quadrupled if he decided to move on.

Rather I think RLC made the England squad due to the U21 team which was managed by Gareth Southgate.  
Actually it is an interesting question why one of our Academy starts, who has done much better than most in the England youth & U21 teams,   took so long to get into the loan system.  Abraham first went on loan 3 years younger.  Solanke almost 4 years younger.  

Quote

ON the other hand his value has quadrupled if he decided to move on.

Not sure about that.  There was so much expectation about this lad, that his valuation (and his reported wages) were already massive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

 

Rather I think RLC made the England squad due to the U21 team which was managed by Gareth Southgate.  
Actually it is an interesting question why one of our Academy starts, who has done much better than most in the England youth & U21 teams,   took so long to get into the loan system.  Abraham first went on loan 3 years younger.  Solanke almost 4 years younger.  

 

Absolute Kak

He made the England squad based on his performances with Palace

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now