• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Alvaro Morata.

6 hours ago, kev61 said:

You don't think Torres was a disaster?blimey! 

You can think what you like. 

Barcerlona 2012 CL semi final made Torres a hero in the eyes of most Chelsea supporters 

Sciatika   

Winning the corner that led to the goal in the final did him no harm

Torres is a hero in my eyes , he tried and tried and tried for us until he finally got his reward , it never really worked out but not for the want of trying on his part.

• Like 1

Sciatika   

To me, I'll forgive anything as long as the player is working hard for the team and trying to do his best.

Back to topic, to my mind, Morata is a whisker away from being a very good player for us. His movement is very good. He lacks confidence and that means he misses more often than he should, but the only way to fix that is to fix the other parts of his game so that he gets more chances and starts putting some away and that will build his confidence and his percentages will improve. The bits he needs to fix are more to do with his ability to hold up play and that is down to his core strength and his expectations. He needs to understand that referees won't give him anything, except maybe a yellow card for being mouthy. So don't wait for a decision, learn to smile through it and move on. This has the benefit of winding up defenders and will help your team press to recover the ball. He does that consistently and the fans will be behind him all the way, imo.

The problem with Morata is that he's done all this before - in Spain, in Italy, and now in England. We're not seeing anything new, or different. The missed 'sitters'; the falling on the ground when  barely touched (if touched at all); the revival (where you wonder why you worried in the first place!); and then we start all over again! He's never been consistent, and he's not been consistent at Chesea. And I seriously doubt that he ever will be anything more than we see now. 

8 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

You can think what you like. 

Barcerlona 2012 CL semi final made Torres a hero in the eyes of most Chelsea supporters 

We find ourselves agreeing on something, for once.

Torres was what he was for Chelsea but he will always be remembered fondly by most.

That one moment alone puts him well beyond being a disaster.

Leo91   
9 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Torres is a hero in my eyes , he tried and tried and tried for us until he finally got his reward , it never really worked out but not for the want of trying on his part.

His head did drop for a game or two when he stopped trying. I remember him being substituted off and getting booed for his lack of effort. Sheva on the other hand never stopped giving his all.

chara   
2 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

We find ourselves agreeing on something, for once.

Torres was what he was for Chelsea but he will always be remembered fondly by most.

That one moment alone puts him well beyond being a disaster.

Torres was never disliked at Chelsea anymore than Kezman. Most of us here always appreciate effort and I challenge you all to actually list players actively disliked at Stamford Bridge. I don't want to see Tubby on a list!!

Droy's earlier point about it only being relatively  recently that we are able to see other "name" players on a regular basis including other national leagues is absolutely valid. 

Puskas and Di Stefano for instance ..or Eusabio Pele and onward we knew from a small selection of views..the Puskas incident at Wembley was about all we knew about him.

Now I can critique say Messi or any number of "foreign" players with authority (if not accuracy!) from many games....EPL players we see every week..how many could have opined about Wilson back in the day?... the nuances of the front runners or failures of the relegation strugglers can be discussed with reference to seeing the struggles or successes..not by the opinions of newspaper reporters huddled in the press box....

Oh..Mikel..a very good Chelsea player who certainly does not deserve to be on any "Bad List".... many players are given a rep by the way a manager/coach uses them..Hazard under Jose for instance,made to boost the defensive side of the game rather than use his talent where it is best showcased.

For the very ancient I remember Chopper as a young player being more than creative going forward rather than the meatgrinder defender he was utilized as during his prime years (I'm going back to days as a junior and winning the Youth WC at Wembley with Tommy Smith the "other" half back..oh happy days!!)

18 hours ago, kev61 said:

You don't think Torres was a disaster?blimey! 

I don't think Torres was a disaster. Sure, the fee was over the top. £50m back then was a lot of money. But he still won titles here. Big ones at that and did play an integral part in both the semi in Barcelona and the final in Munich. I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. 

Torres played over 3,5 seasons for us after signing on deadline day in 2011. I remember the first game against Liverpool. He had been out injured and still had him in the squad. We substituted him on when chasing a goal in the second half and he was abysmal. The Scousers were having  field day and heckled him no end. It was a disastrous call from Ancelotti and it noticably shook Torres. He was fragile from that moment on. I could only watch on in disbelief from the stands... But I also remember the goal at home to West Ham in front of the MH. It was mayhem where I was standing in the MHL right behind the goal. He had tried so hard and we wanted him to succeed so badly. 

Still, over the time he played for us he won one Champions League, one Europa League and one FA Cup while finishing 2nd, 6th, 3rd and 3rd in the league. 

His own record was a bit up and down.

Season Competition Starts Apps Goals Assists G/S P/S
2010-11 Premier League             8              14                1                2          0,13          0,38   
2010-11 Champions League             3                4               -                 -                 -                 -     
2010-11 Total           11              18                1                2          0,09          0,27   

2011-12 Premier League           20              32                6                7          0,30          0,65   
2011-12 Champions League             6              10                3                5          0,50          1,33   
2011-12 FA Cup             5                6                2                4          0,40          1,20   
2011-12 League Cup             1                1               -                 -                 -                 -     
2011-12 Total           32              49              11              16          0,34          0,84   

2012-13 Premier League           28              36                8                9          0,29          0,61   
2012-13 Champions League             5                6                3               -            0,60          0,60   
2012-13 Europa League             9                9                6                1          0,67          0,78   
2012-13 UEFA Super Cup             1                1               -                 -                 -                 -     
2012-13 Club World Cup             2                2                1               -            0,50          0,50   
2012-13 FA Cup             2                5                1               -            0,50          0,50   
2012-13 League Cup             3                4                2                1          0,67          1,00   
2012-13 Community Shield             1                1                1               -            1,00          1,00   
2012-13 Total           51              64              22              11          0,43          0,65   

2013-14 Premier League           16              28                5                5          0,31          0,63   
2013-14 Champions League             5                9                4               -            0,80          0,80   
2013-14 FA Cup            -                  2               -                 -                 -                 -     
2013-14 League Cup             1                1                1                1          1,00          2,00   
2013-14 UEFA Super Cup             1                1                1               -            1,00          1,00   
2013-14 Total           23              41              11                6          0,48          0,74   

All Total        117           172              45              35          0,38          0,68   

Now. 0,4 goals per start and 0,7 points per start across three and a half season with major titles and good cup runs is not a disaster. It may be slightly disappointing, or perhaps just disappointing, but to call it a disaster is exceptionally exaggerated. I tend to be somewhere between a 6-6,5/10. Disaster for me is someone who ends up around a 4. Luckily e do not have many of those that I can remember. Bogared was no prize... But neither was Michael Duberry. Maybe his person tarnish my judgement here. I remember De Lucas not being much of a player nor the Georgian or Italian Giggs either. Jokanovic had some dreadful moments and so did Melchiot towards his later years with us. Verón was an abysmal signing, so was Boulahrouz. Sutton definitely makes my list as a disaster not to mention good old Robert Fleck (although he is a cult hero today). 

Torres is nowhere near being a disaster in my book.

4 hours ago, chara said:

I challenge you all to actually list players actively disliked at Stamford Bridge.

Baka but its actually fair to say there aren't many. Many that were no good didn't get a long run so never had time to be hated.

And who can forget and forgive Bogarde