• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Alvaro Morata.

On 21/11/2018 at 8:02 PM, The_Ghost said:

Torres is nowhere near being a disaster in my book.

Don't hold it against him particularly, but I think the use of stats is misleading revisionism. The guy was absolutely useless for when considered against what he was bought to do, and grabbing 20-odd goals in a season where we played 70-odd games and mostly against poor opposition doesn't change that. He was signed for a record fee with the intention of scoring a glut of goals for us for years to come, and he singularly failed to deliver, with the fee and wages leaving us hamstrung in terms of getting in a proper replacement for years after. For months he could hardly kick a ball straight, and he wasn't too shy when it came to crying to the press either.

Gave us a wonderful memory, one of my best ever as a Chelsea fan if not just best ever overall, and played his little part in the CL final but let's not forget he was a £50m striker not trusted to take a penalty in that shoot out. If memory serves, he and other players have since said he wasn't even down to be the 6th or 7th penalty taker had it come to that.

2 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Don't hold it against him particularly, but I think the use of stats is misleading revisionism. The guy was absolutely useless for when considered against what he was bought to do, and grabbing 20-odd goals in a season where we played 70-odd games and mostly against poor opposition doesn't change that. He was signed for a record fee with the intention of scoring a glut of goals for us for years to come, and he singularly failed to deliver, with the fee and wages leaving us hamstrung in terms of getting in a proper replacement for years after. For months he could hardly kick a ball straight, and he wasn't too shy when it came to crying to the press either.

Gave us a wonderful memory, one of my best ever as a Chelsea fan if not just best ever overall, and played his little part in the CL final but let's not forget he was a £50m striker not trusted to take a penalty in that shoot out. If memory serves, he and other players have since said he wasn't even down to be the 6th or 7th penalty taker had it come to that.

I don't think we disagree that Torres stay with us wasn't great overall. I'm even ready to state he was a big disappointment. But a disaster? No not for me. I suppose that it all ends up on how we define 'disaster' though. 

chara   

Morata "wisher" but have all but given up on him..I love to see "great" goals but if only he could scuff some in or nick a goal with a brave lunge or for the real old timers do a "Tommy Harmer"...too many ways to go with that concept so I'll leave it there !

Torres?..don't think anyone actually disliked him but was such a let down..my wife is impressed (not justified!} with my Spanish based on a longish "conversation" last year with a waiter from Peru whilst in Cambridge ...she still thinks my many previous references to "F......g Torres"was giving him the benefit of his full name!..go figure....

11 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

I don't think we disagree that Torres stay with us wasn't great overall. I'm even ready to state he was a big disappointment. But a disaster? No not for me. I suppose that it all ends up on how we define 'disaster' though. 

Just talking about Torres makes me feel old. He felt to me like a problem there was no end to, and now it's been years since he was here!

Morata is a different kind of disappointment/disaster. This is more or less what big money gets you fairly often now, and that is perhaps why we haven't seen the club rush to replace him.

59 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Morata is a different kind of disappointment/disaster. This is more or less what big money gets you fairly often now, and that is perhaps why we haven't seen the club rush to replace him.

I think we can be dead sure about that to be honest. Not many strikers around that is a clear improvement on Morata unfortunately. 

There's a real lack of quality strikers in the game these days.

Jasonb   

I agree there is not a glut of top strikers yet seeing Aubameyang scoring 10 so far this season does suggest with good scouting improvements can be made.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

I think we can be dead sure about that to be honest. Not many strikers around that is a clear improvement on Morata unfortunately. 

There's a real lack of quality strikers in the game these days.

True, but there's also plenty out there who could do what Morata does for about half of the price. 

A 35 year old Glenn Murray would be more useful than Morata at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

A 35 year old Glenn Murray would be more useful than Morata at this point.

Yeah not really.

Exaggerations like the one you're guilty of here doen't help either. 

6 hours ago, Jasonb said:

I agree there is not a glut of top strikers yet seeing Aubameyang scoring 10 so far this season does suggest with good scouting improvements can be made.

yes and no, he could have bombed. Thing is you never really know. The prem is a different monster to la liga or Bundesliga. Only proven players in the prem are close to being certs and I agree there is not many players here we could get. A younger prem player doing ok maybe worth a punt as we have people to provide better service than wherever they are now. I dont think Morata gets that as nobody trusts him to do anything with it when he does.

xCELERYx   
7 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Yeah not really.

Exaggerations like the one you're guilty of here doen't help either. 

Exaggeration? I think not. Morata is the definition of mediocre, and has been over hyped for YEARS. We were never going to fair well from this transfer and I made it quite known how ill suited he was from the get go. He was promising at 22 years old, he's 26 now and has arguably regressed as a player since. 

We paid (stupidly) £60m for a CF who couldn't establish himself at his two previous clubs despite plenty of opportunities, had routinely struggled for goals and consistently, had attitude issues, utilised every excuse under the sun, and had only managed a double figured return ONCE prior to joining us - at Real Madrid of all places, where the bulk of his goals came against bottom table sides, while served on a silver platter for him by those around him who had done all the hard work. 

Glenn Murray scored 12 goals last season in a newly promoted team at the age of 34. He currently has 7 goals this season at 35 years old. While doing so with a better shots on target rate. 

Maybe Glenn Murray doesn't tickle your fancy, that's fine. The likes of Troy Deeney, Callum Wilson, Marko Arnautovic, Charlie Austin, and alike could all offer a similar level of production and performance for a fraction of the cost. I'd even argue a couple of those may fair better, particularly with increased quality around them.