• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea sign Alvaro Morata.

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

He's always been a good finisher around goal. That second goal was up there with one of his best. Although I felt he struggled for a bit after his initial goal early on. He wasn't strong enough in his attempts of holding the ball up and found himself being muscled off the ball easily. Also needs to get his head up more and make better passing decisions once he does gain possession. A few cheap turnovers saw the ball come straight back and didn't allow our midfield or defence to push back up the pitch, giving Stoke some good areas to work in and plenty of space. I think the next few weeks will be hugely important for him though. We've got some good opposition in big games, so he's going to have to work harder and value possession a bit more than he has done so far. Won't get it this easy against more organised defences. Certainly positive signs so far however. 

He was quiet for about 10 minutes in the first half when we sat very deep trying to counter. Other than that he was exceptional. 

I think you need to be careful you don't become like Droy with Matic in your views about Moratta. You made your views very clear before we signed him and this post and your one in the match day thread scream of someone trying to save face. You are quite clearly wrong about him, he is absolute class.

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

He was quiet for about 10 minutes in the first half when we sat very deep trying to counter. Other than that he was exceptional. 

I think you need to be careful you don't become like Droy with Matic in your views about Moratta. You made your views very clear before we signed him and this post and your one in the match day thread scream of someone trying to save face. You are quite clearly wrong about him, he is absolute class.

I'm not trying to save anything. I said from the start he has qualities, but he also had a lot to prove and justify his price and that he could spearhead a side himself. He still also has a lot to work on when it comes to his general play as a lone striker and what is expected of one. That said, he's started exceptionally well and I'm very glad for that. I'm also not getting ahead of things either and realise he's had some good patches of form before until his consistency dropped and he struggled. I suppose the difference here is that he's essentially been given a starting role and without much in the way of competition. That is new, at both Madrid and Juventus he wasn't assured a spot and had to earn one, which saw him in and out of both teams. 

In the two biggest fixtures we've had so far against Spurs and Arsenal, he struggled and made little impact. Obviously, a lack of fitness played a part. But his overall game wasn't where it needed to be. Again, a common problem he's had over the years. 

So yeah, he's started great but there's still much to do on the grand scheme of things. Hopefully his good start is a sign of what's to follow over the entire season. 

I want to start by saying that I am a massive fan of Morata as his movement, reading of the game and finishing is very high level. In addition, he actually seems like a genuinely nice bloke which makes a change. 

However, in this day and age of formations with one CF he is going to have to work on his body strength, hold-up play and passing in the final third as these areas are currently short. Personally, I reckon he can do this if he really wants too but it may take him a year or so. Therefore, whilst I think he has had an amazing start there is room for improvement and I feel/fear we may see him bossed out of games such as Utd, City, Atletico etc. 

That said, if we could somehow pick up a Cavani/Lewandowski/Bellotti etc, it may be a less of an issue.

Anyone taking over from Costa has a lot to prove, but Morata has certainly done well so far.  Missed a sitter at the end, but still a very good strike rate so far.

A bit lucky with the 2nd in that it was Darren Fletcher who came over to shut him out - I can't think of many PL players it would be easier to run around the outside of and still have time to overstep the ball and shoot side-footed.  But hey, maybe he'd have cut inside a faster player.  Great goal.

Conte must be feeling very pleased with Morata right now.

9 hours ago, Conte Kante said:

I want to start by saying that I am a massive fan of Morata as his movement, reading of the game and finishing is very high level. In addition, he actually seems like a genuinely nice bloke which makes a change. 

However, in this day and age of formations with one CF he is going to have to work on his body strength, hold-up play and passing in the final third as these areas are currently short. Personally, I reckon he can do this if he really wants too but it may take him a year or so. Therefore, whilst I think he has had an amazing start there is room for improvement and I feel/fear we may see him bossed out of games such as Utd, City, Atletico etc. 

That said, if we could somehow pick up a Cavani/Lewandowski/Bellotti etc, it may be a less of an issue.

We are a bit spoilt when it comes to what we expect from our strikers because everything has to be compared to DD and Costa - both of whom were exceptional lone strikers.

Morata certainly has room to improve because we really do need a bit more work from him... But lets be honest here, at Liverpool they would be hailing him as the next Pele right about now. Says a lot about CFC Strikers that we can still want more even with a strike rate like Morata's.

I absolutely agree that there is room for impovement in certain areas of his game. I do not however think that his hold up play is a big issue. He does lack in concentration occassionally but I think that may stem from him trying to adjust to this league and the sheer pace and physicality of it all. 

I'll hold judgement until Morata and Hazard has had a prolonged patnership together. I think that combo can unlock an extra gear or two to our attacking play. Especially if it can free up space for Willian/Pedro. 

paulw66   
39 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I absolutely agree that there is room for impovement in certain areas of his game. I do not however think that his hold up play is a big issue. He does lack in concentration occassionally but I think that may stem from him trying to adjust to this league and the sheer pace and physicality of it all. 

I'll hold judgement until Morata and Hazard has had a prolonged patnership together. I think that combo can unlock an extra gear or two to our attacking play. Especially if it can free up space for Willian/Pedro. 

Interesting point on Hazard. Morata has 6 goals already all the while our most creative player (and one who normally attracts the attention of at least 2 defenders) has been off the field. 

Once we have a fully fit front 3 of Hazard, Morata, Pedro / Willian, then that is pretty tasty.