Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

490 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

The thing that gets me is when I hear Burnley fans telling me how all the decisions go to the big clubs. I don't think refs are biased but most are homers and many frequently see "balancing it up" as part of their job description and so err on the side of allowing the lesser clubs to do what they like. I suppose they see it as keeping the league competitive.

We remember the decisions that affect matches.  Burnley will drop points most games where a big decisions goes against them.  A big decision for them, especially against a big club, is much less likely to affect the result. So of course that is how they remember it.

Whichever personnel Mr Conte goes for should be enough to take the three points here. I'm expecting a narrow win probably not impressive to watch. I have a feeling we will start slowly this season and get going as we hit october or end of september by which time the media will have written us off.

10 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Whichever personnel Mr Conte goes for should be enough to take the three points here. I'm expecting a narrow win probably not impressive to watch. I have a feeling we will start slowly this season and get going as we hit october or end of september by which time the media will have written us off.

The difference between "should" and "will" is unfortunately 90 minutes of anxious apprehension.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

The difference between "should" and "will" is unfortunately 90 minutes of anxious apprehension.

Same as every game ever then.

ha ha very true gentlemen, isn't that part of the reason why we watch? Could be tough for me as I will be in deepest darkest france on holiday. Perhaps that wont be a bad thing

On 8/7/2017 at 11:02 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Well, yes it is. I think that it's mostly paranoid nonsense, though. Sorry.

Re watch the game of Burnley v Chelsea at Turf Moor. Whenever Hazard ran at / ran past their defenders, he got booted. As it was "poor little, low budget, relegation-threatened" Burnley, they largely got away with it. 

On 8/7/2017 at 1:55 PM, Droy was my hero said:

We remember the decisions that affect matches.  Burnley will drop points most games where a big decisions goes against them.  A big decision for them, especially against a big club, is much less likely to affect the result. So of course that is how they remember it.

Yes, quite. When you win 30/38 matches, nobody remembers the decisions that went against you in the 30 becuase you won anyway, then in the remaining 8, you are so far clear of the rest, nobody cares / has any sympathies. 

Compared to our first team squad at 1st February, we've lost three senior players ... JT, Matic and Begovic ... ALL replaced by Rudiger, Bakayoko and Caballero. Leadership aside and based on current playing ability, that's not materially weaker in my book, though we need to see Bakayoko in action to say for sure.  Only Matic was a regular starter.

We've lost six young fringe players:

3 (Zouma, Aina and RLC) have all gone on Loan, replaced by Christensen, and probably Tomori and Baker/Scott. Christensen is more experienced. The other two are pretty much like for like replacements for me. Again, not materially weaker, and probably stronger (Christensen is a better CB than Zouma). Aina played 25 minutes of PL football last year, RLC played 31 minutes and Zouma played 247 minutes. Total 303 minutes. I think Christensen and Baker will have that covered !

3 (Chalobah, Ake, Solanke) have Left, with only Morata arriving to cover any of their positions (and you could say that none of them have been replaced, as Morata is on board to offset Costa). Between them they made 9 starts and 11 sub appearances last season, of which collectively just 257 minutes was in the PL (159 for Chalobah, and 98 for Ake; Solanke not selected at all last year - in anything). Again not much to be made up by new or existing players. All left because Conte didn't play them, not because of anything the Board did ... I dare say the Board are working hard to bring in replacements who Conte will actually want to use !

To sumamrise the players that have left and not been replaced so far were fringe players who hardly played, who were obviously not trusted or really wanted by the manager. The senior players have all been replaced.

We do need more depth, primarily because of the Champions League and for effective cover if we get injuries,  but we still have most of last year's first team intact, so there is no reason why they shouldn't perform again in 2017/18. 8 of the team that faced Arsenal were what we would consider our A-Team. Things are not as bad as people are making out ...

52 minutes ago, Don Antonio said:

Compared to our first team squad at 1st February, we've lost three senior players ... JT, Matic and Begovic ... ALL replaced by Rudiger, Bakayoko and Caballero. Leadership aside and based on current playing ability, that's not materially weaker in my book, though we need to see Bakayoko in action to say for sure.  Only Matic was a regular starter.

We've lost six young fringe players:

3 (Zouma, Aina and RLC) have all gone on Loan, replaced by Christensen, and probably Tomori and Baker/Scott. Christensen is more experienced. The other two are pretty much like for like replacements for me. Again, not materially weaker, and probably stronger (Christensen is a better CB than Zouma). Aina played 25 minutes of PL football last year, RLC played 31 minutes and Zouma played 247 minutes. Total 303 minutes. I think Christensen and Baker will have that covered !

3 (Chalobah, Ake, Solanke) have Left, with only Morata arriving to cover any of their positions (and you could say that none of them have been replaced, as Morata is on board to offset Costa). Between them they made 9 starts and 11 sub appearances last season, of which collectively just 257 minutes was in the PL (159 for Chalobah, and 98 for Ake; Solanke not selected at all last year - in anything). Again not much to be made up by new or existing players. All left because Conte didn't play them, not because of anything the Board did ... I dare say the Board are working hard to bring in replacements who Conte will actually want to use !

To sumamrise the players that have left and not been replaced so far were fringe players who hardly played, who were obviously not trusted or really wanted by the manager. The senior players have all been replaced.

We do need more depth, primarily because of the Champions League and for effective cover if we get injuries,  but we still have most of last year's first team intact, so there is no reason why they shouldn't perform again in 2017/18. 8 of the team that faced Arsenal were what we would consider our A-Team. Things are not as bad as people are making out ...

Two of those fringe players were essentially replacements for Ivanovic and Mikel who left in January, and were not fringe players - Ivanovic starting the first 7 games as first choice.  Even then Ake and Chalobah were more than good enough to start at PL level (as no doubt they will at the weekend).  
JT too was a full option and starter for the first 7 or so games.  

The point missed here is that Conte's reaction to 2 losses was a big change in the team - the traditional reaction of any manager at any level.  He could do that because he had options.  If he didn't do that again all season, that is mostly because we never lost 2 consecutive games again.

The squad really is 4 or 5 (actually 6 or 7) players short.  And only Christensen of all the young players has any credibility as a first team candidate.

Can't see Rudiger, Christensen or Musonda start this one. So the next players are guaranteed to start. Is it going to be 3-4-3 or 4-2-4?

3-4-3: Courtois - Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill - Pedro, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso - Willian, Batshuayi, Morata

4-2-4: Courtois - Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill, Alonso - Willian, Kante, Fabregas, Pedro - Batshuayi, Morata

Really think this XI would look best in a 4-2-4. There has been some talk about Conte "trying new things" in training. Really wouldn't rule this out.