Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

490 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

Look at 1 min 5 secs into this and the replay last Sunday. 

Yellow card? 

Worst thing is he escaped another booking for pulling one of ours back late on, despite being far worse than what Alonso got booked for first half.

I personally don't want to see reds every game, there are far too many in my eyes. Tackles that wouldn't have batted an eyelid five years ago are now suddenly "reckless" and "dangerous". They're not though, really. Did the Premier League have a problem with players having their legs snapped in half that needed fixing? No. 

My biggest concern, though, is the lack of consistency. If everyone was getting red cards for these tackles then at least I could say it was fair, even if I didn't like it. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case, I can't remember too many times I've seen a United or Liverpool player suffer these injustices. 

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Well said Jane. I never listen to any media pundits at all, it only damages your health.

And I also think that the fighting spirit we showed in battling back to 2-3, even when we had only 9 men, will serve us well from here on. Furthermore, Morata was top class and Christensen showed what you can get if you do give your young players a chance. I hope to see much more of him and it looks as though I'm going to!!

We still have other really good players to come back too and we must add 4 or so more before the end of the window I think.

Taint all doom and gloom yet.

Glass half full, it's the only way.

32 minutes ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Worst thing is he escaped another booking for pulling one of ours back late on, despite being far worse than what Alonso got booked for first half.

I personally don't want to see reds every game, there are far too many in my eyes. Tackles that wouldn't have batted an eyelid five years ago are now suddenly "reckless" and "dangerous". They're not though, really. Did the Premier League have a problem with players having their legs snapped in half that needed fixing? No. 

My biggest concern, though, is the lack of consistency. If everyone was getting red cards for these tackles then at least I could say it was fair, even if I didn't like it. Unfortunately this hasn't been the case, I can't remember too many times I've seen a United or Liverpool player suffer these injustices. 

Hear hear.

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

No idea. All I can go by is watching Chelsea TV and the commentators (with the benefit of multiple replays) were satisfied the cards were all deserved in the circumstances. No suggestion of a witch hunt against the club.

No witch hunt but Cahil's tackle was the standard fare in the PL. In fact, we're constantly told by pundits and all alike that bone-crunching tackles like that are what makes the PL different and fun to watch. At the very most, it should've been a yellow card. Not a straight red!

I have no problem the PL changing the rules of the game to move the league to more non-contact sport as is the norm in the La Liga, for instance. But the rules must be applied uniformly or not at all. 

Contrary to the opinions of some, I don't believe this result is unmitigated disaster. It's sucks to lose your opening home match but at least we have Morata registering his first goal and looking much sharper and useful than Batshuayi, Rudiger looks good addition and Christensen (can't spell his name, I know) didn't look out of place. 

1 hour ago, OfWolfAndBiggs said:

Exactly, though for me the signs were there with Alonso's early yellow.

If that's the way that the EPL is going to be refereed I'm sure its most fouled player Eden Hazard will appreciate the extra protection.

But I suspect our card happy man in the middle today will be the exception rather than the rule...it wasn't even a dirty game. And I fully understand the frustrations our players felt. 

Problem is when our players are frustrated, it (in their eyes anyway) justified the card happy, reactionary hands of most of the referees.

Even if most of the infractions were fouls, I do believe very few (if any) EPL teams would have had 2 red cards in their first home tie of a new season and a yellow after 3 mins.

The refs have set the standard...and this has happened too often 

Posted (edited)

Well that was a bizarre game. From where I was sitting Cahill deserved a red and it was incredibly stupid for him to dive in where he did. Our complete collapse that followed I will attribute partly to him and partly to Conte. Considering how depleted we were in forward positions the decision to bring on another defender after the red was very strange. It meant we were playing with 5 genuine defenders with limited attacking ability out of 9 out field players. We were camped in our own half and completely unable to string more than 2 passes together with only Willian and Fabregas possessing the ability to keep the ball. There was also a painfully comic moment in the second half when they had a free kick and the vast majority of our team was in the wall.

Batshauyi has a goal in him and is very funny on Twitter but unfortunately not good enough to lead the line on his own for Chelsea and I doubt he ever will be. Today he was completely invisible although not helped by the fact the only other player remotely close to him was Willian who is not exactly the biggest goal threat.  He made no runs and every single pass played forward was won by Burnley without a fuss. I think he is a good option to have as a second striker but I would be very worried is he has to start without Morata again in any important games.

At half time I was totally distraught and I would by lying if I said thoughts of 2015/16 weren't running through my head. Somehow though I ended the game feeling positive and as bad as we were in the first half I was impressed by how we bounced back in the second. The turning point was clearly the moment that Morata came on.

Immediately the game completely changed and the difference between the Batshuayi statue and Morata buzzing around on the last shoulder was stark. He demanded the ball, put himself about and found space in the penalty box. His runs reminded me of Crespo and if anyone is expecting a Costa / Drogba type striker they will likely be disappointed. He is not a battering ram but he has a great touch, is fast and can dribble. He was constantly moving and a total nuisance for the Burnley defence. Clearly a class above any other player on the pitch today and this with no support at all. Simply has to start from here on in and I cannot wait to see him with Hazard and Pedro close by.

On further positives Christensen and Rudiger were both very impressive. Have not had an opportunity to re-watch the goals which obviously came from defensive vulnerabilities but from what I saw we have a couple of gems. Firstly Christensen was very tidy in possession, made an impression going forward and faultless in defence. Rudiger on the other hand was a beast and in the first half was one of the only players to turn up. Reminded me of Bailly from United as both are fast, strong and put in very hard challenges. My only worry with him would be his red card potential and there was a few times I was concerned he might just snap someone in half. No serious concerns here though and we need these kind of players especially since we have lost a few hard bastards in the last 12 months. The last thing I want is for us to become soft and we have lost Diego, JT, Ivan and Matic in a short space of time.

The referees performance was certainly not enjoyed by the crowd and I tried my best to evaluate him on his performance and not those sitting next to me calling for his head. Not seen any highlights but straight away I was sure Cahill was a goner. Fabregas too probably deserved a second yellow but that does not mean the ref was any good. Alonso was booked after about 30 seconds for nothing and it seemed every time one of our players so much as ran near a Burnley shirt they were getting booked. On the other hand Burnley seemed to get away with many obvious free kicks, unfortunately the kind that never get shown on MOTD.

The atmosphere was on a knife edge today but by the end everyone seemed to be fully behind the team and lifted by Morata's cameo. It felt as if a goal was coming even with only 9 men and I have seen a few reports about booing the players. I can say categorically that the boos were clearly directed at the referee and my only disappointment was the ironic cheers when Batshuayi completed a pass and also when he was subbed off. No matter how badly someone plays this is embarrassing and also the chants for Diego were odd. By the end everyone was signing Morata's name as they should do seeing as our favourite Brazilian Spaniard is getting pissed somewhere on a beach in Rio.

We are in desperate need of 3/4 players but fortunately our first eleven when available is still one of the best in the league. It is much easier to sign usable squad players than world class first choice players so I am not ready to write our season off just yet. We will get by with Luiz or Christensen in midfield next week against Spurs and in fairness I couldn't see Cesc effecting that game much anyway without any one else to play with on his wavelength. It will be tough and we will not have much of a bench but providing Pedro comes back we should be well placed. Spurs have their own injury issues with no available right backs and Danny Rose is currently on the naughty step. In a weeks time when we leave Wembley with three points this will all seem like a distant memory! :)

Edited by samhoward17
2 people like this

If I might be so bold, what a fantastic post SH

3 minutes ago, JaneB said:

If I might be so bold, what a fantastic post SH

His posts are always tip top.

Kalas got sent off as well for Fulham.