• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

46 minutes ago, Galol said:

Contrary to the opinions of some, I don't believe this result is unmitigated disaster. It's sucks to lose your opening home match but at least we have Morata registering his first goal and looking much sharper and useful than Batshuayi, Rudiger looks good addition and Christensen (can't spell his name, I know) didn't look out of place. 

Yep, I agree Galol

Positives from today:

Morata - looked class. Changed the game. Movement, link up play, good in the air, scored one, made another, proved he should have started. Looks an excellent signing. Diego who? 

Christensen - will now get a chance to play, with Cahill suspended and Luiz playing in midfield.  (as we have literally one CM player in our squad - well done board, what brilliant planning and transfer policy, fitting of a non-league club). 

Fightback - 3-0 down with 10 and then 9 men, we still fought back in the second half and almost nicked a draw. That's different from 2 years ago at least. Players still fighting for the team and playing for the manager, spirit still there.

Wake-up call - if the board have one brain cell between them (which is questionable), they will realise Conte was right and we need at least 3 if not 4 signings, not just before the window closes, but preferably in the next week. Maybe they'll realise that to compete for trophies you actually have to spend big money on quality players. And the players and Conte won't want a repeat of this next week, it will focus our minds more for Spurs.

The only two things which give me confidence for Spurs are Morata, and that Conte will work them doubly hard this week. But honestly, I'd be surprised if we won next week. Knowing Chelsea though, you never know.

Edited by James Prescott

19 minutes ago, JaneB said:

If I might be so bold, what a fantastic post SH

I agree with everything he said.

Cahill's tackle was stupid and deserved a red (that others have been given yellows doesn't matter). Fabregas was stupid to 'ironically' applaud the ref and deserved that yellow. His second yellow was the sort of tackle that I've seen reds given for, so he was/we were lucky in that regard!  Rudiger looked good. Christensen acquitted himself well. Morata did very well... shame his 'selfish' striker's instinct led to a goal being chalked off for off-side. If he'd left the ball alone, it was going in and the goal would have stood. If Conte didn't think he was in good enough 'condition' to start, I'll have to bow to his better judgement, but I hope he starts against Spurs. The way we came back in the second half showed a never-say-die attitude that was missing two seasons ago, so, in spite of the mini implosion after Cahill's red, I'm not as concerned as some of the more volatile members of the forum.

35 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

Well that was a bizarre game. From where I was sitting Cahill deserved a red and it was incredibly stupid for him to dive in where he did. Our complete collapse that followed I will attribute partly to him and partly to Conte. Considering how depleted we were in forward positions the decision to bring on another defender after the red was very strange. It meant we were playing with 5 genuine defenders with limited attacking ability out of 9 out field players. We were camped in our own half and completely unable to string more than 2 passes together with only Willian and Fabregas possessing the ability to keep the ball. There was also a painfully comic moment in the second half when they had a free kick and the vast majority of our team was in the wall.

Batshauyi has a goal in him and is very funny on Twitter but unfortunately not good enough to lead the line on his own for Chelsea and I doubt he ever will be. Today he was completely invisible although not helped by the fact the only other player remotely close to him was Willian who is not exactly the biggest goal threat.  He made no runs and every single pass played forward was won by Burnley without a fuss. I think he is a good option to have as a second striker but I would be very worried is he has to start without Morata again in any important games.

At half time I was totally distraught and I would by lying if I said thoughts of 2015/16 weren't running through my head. Somehow though I ended the game feeling positive and as bad as we were in the first half I was impressed by how we bounced back in the second. The turning point was clearly the moment that Morata came on.

Immediately the game completely changed and the difference between the Batshuayi statue and Morata buzzing around on the last shoulder was stark. He demanded the ball, put himself about and found space in the penalty box. His runs reminded me of Crespo and if anyone is expecting a Costa / Drogba type striker they will likely be disappointed. He is not a battering ram but he has a great touch, is fast and can dribble. He was constantly moving and a total nuisance for the Burnley defence. Clearly a class above any other player on the pitch today and this with no support at all. Simply has to start from here on in and I cannot wait to see him with Hazard and Pedro close by.

On further positives Christensen and Rudiger were both very impressive. Have not had an opportunity to re-watch the goals which obviously came from defensive vulnerabilities but from what I saw we have a couple of gems. Firstly Christensen was very tidy in possession, made an impression going forward and faultless in defence. Rudiger on the other hand was a beast and in the first half was one of the only players to turn up. Reminded me of Bailly from United as both are fast, strong and put in very hard challenges. My only worry with him would be his red card potential and there was a few times I was concerned he might just snap someone in half. No serious concerns here though and we need these kind of players especially since we have lost a few hard bastards in the last 12 months. The last thing I want is for us to become soft and we have lost Diego, JT, Ivan and Matic in a short space of time.

The referees performance was certainly not enjoyed by the crowd and I tried my best to evaluate him on his performance and not those sitting next to me calling for his head. Not seen any highlights but straight away I was sure Cahill was a goner. Fabregas too probably deserved a second yellow but that does not mean the ref was any good. Alonso was booked after about 30 seconds for nothing and it seemed every time one of our players so much as ran near a Burnley shirt they were getting booked. On the other hand Burnley seemed to get away with many obvious free kicks, unfortunately the kind that never get shown on MOTD.

The atmosphere was on a knife edge today but by the end everyone seemed to be fully behind the team and lifted by Morata's cameo. It felt as if a goal was coming even with only 9 men and I have seen a few reports about booing the players. I can say categorically that the boos were clearly directed at the referee and my only disappointment was the ironic cheers when Batshuayi completed a pass and also when he was subbed off. No matter how badly someone plays this is embarrassing and also the chants for Diego were odd. By the end everyone was signing Morata's name as they should do seeing as our favourite Brazilian Spaniard is getting pissed somewhere on a beach in Rio.

We are in desperate need of 3/4 players but fortunately our first eleven when available is still one of the best in the league. It is much easier to sign usable squad players than world class first choice players so I am not ready to write our season off just yet. We will get by with Luiz or Christensen in midfield next week against Spurs and in fairness I couldn't see Cesc effecting that game much anyway without any one else to play with on his wavelength. It will be tough and we will not have much of a bench but providing Pedro comes back we should be well placed. Spurs have their own injury issues with no available right backs and Danny Rose is currently on the naughty step. In a weeks time when we leave Wembley with three points this will all seem like a distant memory! :)

Brilliant post. Agree with all this. 

Needed a dose of positivity, the result left me feeling very negative. Good stuff and nailed on.

Plenty of negatives today. can't be arsed to list them all. Think its plainly obvious how bad the squad is but the coach has to also take blame for what we have seen after winning the title, ie. Losing 2 trophies and losing today. Adjustments need to be made, and fast.

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Cahill's tackle was stupid and deserved a red (that others have been given yellows doesn't matter)

That's all that matters Bob. That's the problem.

Personally I think Fabregas had every right to applaud a referee who sees Vokes  launch into the top of Azpillicueta , fall , hurt himself and then awards a free kick to Burnley. It was a breathtakingly bad decision and deserved a round of applause.

Just watched on MOTD.

The reds were both deserved sadly. Fabregas clapping the referee was plain stupid, because that always gets a yellow. Cahill's was definitely a straight red. 

We were a total shambles in the first half, even Kante was shocking, worst I've seen him. Red card or no red card, it was appalling.

Second half we played a lot better. Morata changed everything. His movement and link up play were excellent, took his chance and created a goal. Once Hazard and Pedro are fit, will be a formidable front three. Could even have got to 3-3. Spirit is there for sure.

Think Morata is going to be huge for us, really do.

But we need 3 or 4 quality signings urgently.

Footnote: Watched Palace today and although they lost 3-0, RLC looked good. Palace friends told me he was their best player by a mile today. 

To Emenalo or whoever is in charge of transfers in and out: You suck.  Everyone has seen this coming.  You've sold and loaned out with total disregard to what the team needs and what Conte has requested.  Why?  To show Conte you're in charge?  You're a w**ker.  We have been substantially weakened this summer.  Again, EVERYONE with any sense has seen this coming.  Why do we have to take a huge step backwards instead of building on the momentum we had going?  Why do we wait so long to bring players in - even if we buy 3-4 players - we're going to be short handed until October.  We need a winger, a defensive midfielder and another striker.... we've known this for months, but instead you've loaned out numerous players that would give us the appropriate cover.  I will not be surprised if you further gut the squad rather than strengthen it over the next few weeks.   

To Gary Cahill:  Thank you for your service, being a crucial part of that night in Munich and for captaining us on the field last season.  However, you should only start League Cup matches going forward.  

To Alvaro Morata:  You're the real deal.  Stay healthy and hopefully Pedro and Hazard will be back soon to support.  

To Antonio Conte:  I hope you're given the power you deserve, but I fully expect you to be gone next summer, if not sooner.  

To Michy:  You're going to be needed off the bench this season, so please keep working hard.   

To Spuds:  Please take it easy on us next weekend.  We need to somehow stay afloat until October, hopefully the PL season won't be lost by then.  And by lost, I mean any chance at the top 4.  

These thoughts aren't just about the result today, although frustrating - and the ref's a w**ker too - it's more about where we're headed over the next 6 weeks or so.  We don't have a viable midfielder available to start next week!  How is that possible?  

Morata and a soon to be different starting back line give me hope.  COYB - get it sorted while there's time!  

chelboy   

Sorry but Kante was the best player in the 1st half. He was the only one who did not panic after the Cahill red. He kept his cool as he always does. Kante has had worse games by far.