Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

490 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, samhoward17 said:

Well that was a bizarre game. From where I was sitting Cahill deserved a red and it was incredibly stupid for him to dive in where he did. Our complete collapse that followed I will attribute partly to him and partly to Conte. Considering how depleted we were in forward positions the decision to bring on another defender after the red was very strange. It meant we were playing with 5 genuine defenders with limited attacking ability out of 9 out field players. We were camped in our own half and completely unable to string more than 2 passes together with only Willian and Fabregas possessing the ability to keep the ball. There was also a painfully comic moment in the second half when they had a free kick and the vast majority of our team was in the wall.

Batshauyi has a goal in him and is very funny on Twitter but unfortunately not good enough to lead the line on his own for Chelsea and I doubt he ever will be. Today he was completely invisible although not helped by the fact the only other player remotely close to him was Willian who is not exactly the biggest goal threat.  He made no runs and every single pass played forward was won by Burnley without a fuss. I think he is a good option to have as a second striker but I would be very worried is he has to start without Morata again in any important games.

At half time I was totally distraught and I would by lying if I said thoughts of 2015/16 weren't running through my head. Somehow though I ended the game feeling positive and as bad as we were in the first half I was impressed by how we bounced back in the second. The turning point was clearly the moment that Morata came on.

Immediately the game completely changed and the difference between the Batshuayi statue and Morata buzzing around on the last shoulder was stark. He demanded the ball, put himself about and found space in the penalty box. His runs reminded me of Crespo and if anyone is expecting a Costa / Drogba type striker they will likely be disappointed. He is not a battering ram but he has a great touch, is fast and can dribble. He was constantly moving and a total nuisance for the Burnley defence. Clearly a class above any other player on the pitch today and this with no support at all. Simply has to start from here on in and I cannot wait to see him with Hazard and Pedro close by.

On further positives Christensen and Rudiger were both very impressive. Have not had an opportunity to re-watch the goals which obviously came from defensive vulnerabilities but from what I saw we have a couple of gems. Firstly Christensen was very tidy in possession, made an impression going forward and faultless in defence. Rudiger on the other hand was a beast and in the first half was one of the only players to turn up. Reminded me of Bailly from United as both are fast, strong and put in very hard challenges. My only worry with him would be his red card potential and there was a few times I was concerned he might just snap someone in half. No serious concerns here though and we need these kind of players especially since we have lost a few hard bastards in the last 12 months. The last thing I want is for us to become soft and we have lost Diego, JT, Ivan and Matic in a short space of time.

The referees performance was certainly not enjoyed by the crowd and I tried my best to evaluate him on his performance and not those sitting next to me calling for his head. Not seen any highlights but straight away I was sure Cahill was a goner. Fabregas too probably deserved a second yellow but that does not mean the ref was any good. Alonso was booked after about 30 seconds for nothing and it seemed every time one of our players so much as ran near a Burnley shirt they were getting booked. On the other hand Burnley seemed to get away with many obvious free kicks, unfortunately the kind that never get shown on MOTD.

The atmosphere was on a knife edge today but by the end everyone seemed to be fully behind the team and lifted by Morata's cameo. It felt as if a goal was coming even with only 9 men and I have seen a few reports about booing the players. I can say categorically that the boos were clearly directed at the referee and my only disappointment was the ironic cheers when Batshuayi completed a pass and also when he was subbed off. No matter how badly someone plays this is embarrassing and also the chants for Diego were odd. By the end everyone was signing Morata's name as they should do seeing as our favourite Brazilian Spaniard is getting pissed somewhere on a beach in Rio.

We are in desperate need of 3/4 players but fortunately our first eleven when available is still one of the best in the league. It is much easier to sign usable squad players than world class first choice players so I am not ready to write our season off just yet. We will get by with Luiz or Christensen in midfield next week against Spurs and in fairness I couldn't see Cesc effecting that game much anyway without any one else to play with on his wavelength. It will be tough and we will not have much of a bench but providing Pedro comes back we should be well placed. Spurs have their own injury issues with no available right backs and Danny Rose is currently on the naughty step. In a weeks time when we leave Wembley with three points this will all seem like a distant memory! :)

I was at the game and agree with most of this. For me, whilst Cesc should not have clapped I understand why he did it as it was an absolutely ridiculous decision by the ref because if anything it was a foul to us and at that point (15 mins in?) He has already booked Alonso for no reason and sent off Cahill in a challenge that you have to imagine Rojo would have got a fair play award for - although sarcasm aside, it was an incredibly stupid challenge by Cahill as it required the ref to make a decision and ultimatly might be one that I can see him losing his position as Christensen and Rudiger both looked more assured than a standard Cahill performance. 

Also I think you have been kind to Bats as that was possibly the worst CF performance I have ever seen (I have been going for 28 years) since he offered: no off the ball running, no hold up play, no antisipation (seriously he only ever moves once the ball has been played), no presence in the air, no link up play. He for me is 3rd choice quality at best as his main strength is finishing a chance that falls in front of him which is more likely to happen later in games and if you have 2 CFs on. What concerns me the most however is that he has already had a year of training with Conte and he is still that bad, whilst he is also not that young at 24. For me getting another CF has become a major priority. Additionally, whilst I 100% agree that fans should never mockingly celebrate passes and substitutions I did understand the Costa chants (although I did not personally did not take part in them). I say this as he is a great player who, contrary to what some posters on here say, always put in a shift by occupying two CBs and making runs. He is obviously gone but lets not forget he was a key player in two title wins. 

Lastly, whilst I still have a few doubts about Rudiger (he does love a red card and has a bad habit of making silly passes and mistakes) he did look a beast and did not allow the Burnley players to muck about with the rough stuff. However, Christensen impressed me more as his composure on the ball for someone so young and reading of the game was great. 

Lastly, todays goals conceeded yet again came down to us not cutting out crosses at source, on each goal they had mountains of time to cross/chip in balls. This for me is primarily the fault of the midfielders as Kante and Cesc have a really bad habit of leaving 5 uarfs of space and turning their backs. This was a major issue last season and needs to be sorted soon because after watching the game live and tje highlights it is clear Burnley recognised this as they kept on playing the ball down the line, playing one/twos rather than humping it in. If this has been spotted and exploited by them we can rest assured that it has been/ will be spotted by others. 

Mark "I hate Chelsea" Clattenburg , says the Cahill challenge was only a yellow and that Craig Pawson had a few dodgy decisions last season too.

If it was a yellow last week it was a yellow this week.

Cahill must've really hurt Defour with the inside of his thigh , seeing as that was the only part of him that touched him .

Not the disaster I feared at half time. I don't want to repeat what has already been said except Morata. He looks lIke a  proper striker. 

When so much is going on in front of you and referees brandishing cards like a drunken pirate with two swords, you need your defenders to stay calm. First to lose his head was Gary Cahill, but the more worrying is David Luiz. He's been very poor from the last third of last season and appears to be getting worse. At this rate we should never have sent Zouma on loan.  

Honestly, David  Luiz really worries me. With Gary  Cahill you know what you get. With David Luiz it is becoming worse than your worst prediction by every match. 

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Mark "I hate Chelsea" Clattenburg , says the Cahill challenge was only a yellow and that Craig Pawson had a few dodgy decisions last season too.

If it was a yellow last week it was a yellow this week.

Cahill must've really hurt Defour with the inside of his thigh , seeing as that was the only part of him that touched him .

This is exactly how I saw the challenge so please explain to me why so many on here have concluded that Cahill was reckless and deserved to be sent off?  One particular poster was debating the game only to later admit that he wasn't even watching!!!! Holy....erm cow!

How many simply read what pundits said before concluding that a red card offence took place and that we were outplayed? 

I know very anti Chelsea people who don't think it was a red.

We were enjoying 80% possession when he was sent off and, in my opinion, on our way to a comfortable win.  Even after ending up with 9 men we still had over 60% possession and twice as many shots.  They were garbage apart from three moments. Three. 

Our board has had an absolute shocker but we were still better than Burnley throughout most of that game.

Can't believe some of the stick Michy has gotten. Definitely didn't play great, that's a given. Although, anyone with half an idea about football would be very aware that he isn't the type of CF that is going to excel as a lone man. His strengths are the complete opposite to someone like Costa, so it shouldn't be any surprise that he struggled in the air when balls were lumped forward to him. That his hold up play wasn't great when trying to hold off two defenders, etc. He definitely has improvement in him, but don't slate a man for struggling to execute aspects of his game that he simply isn't suited for. It's like asking Pippo Inzaghi to play as a target man and then criticise him for failing to play like Drogba. A little perspective and understanding wouldn't go astray. 

As for Morata. Looked fitter, did really well overall. Nice to see a CF score a header from a well delivered cross. Been a rarity over the years here.

Not had time to read the thread but 3 points really.

1.  I've said for 3 years now that the team has 7 or so superb players, and some good first choice back up, - and that is why it has done well in 2 out of 3 seasons.
Choose your favourites from Costa, Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Fabregas, Kante, Azpi as FB or CB, JT and Courtois.  There is usually about 7 playing.

So with Costa, Hazard and Pedro out, JT gone and Azpi in a position he does not excel at, we were down to 4.  Fabregas was a bit hit and miss, Courtois was awful (every keeper has his bad day, today for Courtois), but Willian and Kante were the stand out players on the pitch. (followed by Alonso and no one else - though the Burnley team seemed to be full of 11 competent mortals first half).  

If you have a team of Galacticos and only 2 play well, you will struggle in the Prem.  That pretty much explains the result.

2.  First weekend of the season refs will always stamp down on anything slightly dangerous.  Always.  

So I'm not sure whether to treat the Alonso booking as the only harsh one of the game, or as a generous warning by the ref about how he would interpret the game.  Certainly it should have been treated as a sign.

After 4 sendings off, I really wonder if the training is being supervised properly.  The club should be reffing training games firmly enough so that players are ready for season start referees.  
We screwed the Red cards up, not the ref, and both Luiz (headbut) and Fabregas were very foolish.

3.  Morata.  If you lose 3 Galacticos, then it seems to me you have to play Morata over the rather ordinary but hard working Bats.

Item A:  Morata lost the C Shield with his stupid run to put the whole Arsenal team onside.
Item B:  A goal like nothing I have seen from Chelsea in a couple of years (Tammy excepted).  A superb run from the edge of the offside line into the path of the Willian cross.  Real goal scorer move.  Not the kind of Lampard deep vertical run that takes static defenders out of the game, but an edge of the line strikers run from a stationary position.  Wonderful.
Item C:  Christensen's probable goal ruled out because of a reckless run and touch by a greedy striker.  

No idea what to conclude really (otherwise he was generally good - loads of potential, but is he the finished article:  "Whom the gods wish to destroy they first call promising." - Cyril Connolly)
No wonder Conte wants more time with him.

5 minutes ago, Ham said:

This is exactly how I saw the challenge so please explain to me why so many on here have concluded that Cahill was reckless and deserved to be sent off?  One particular poster was debating the game only to later admit that he wasn't even watching!!!! Holy....erm cow!

How many simply read what pundits said before concluding that a red card offence took place and that we were outplayed? 

I know very anti Chelsea people who don't think it was a red.

We were enjoying 80% possession when he was sent off and, in my opinion, on our way to a comfortable win.  Even after ending up with 9 men we still had over 60% possession and twice as many shots.  They were garbage apart from three moments. Three. 

Our board has had an absolute shocker but we were still better than Burnley throughout most of that game.

Yeah , I rewatched it tonight , we totally controlled the game even after Cahill went we still did , the media are trying to have this down as a Shaun Dyche masterclass  but it's rubbish , we get Morata on at half-time we win the game.

9 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Not the disaster I feared at half time. I don't want to repeat what has already been said except Morata. He looks lIke a  proper striker. 

When so much is going on in front of you and referees brandishing cards like a drunken pirate with two swords, you need your defenders to stay calm. First to lose his head was Gary Cahill, but the more worrying is David Luiz. He's been very poor from the last third of last season and appears to be getting worse. At this rate we should never have sent Zouma on loan.  

Honestly, David  Luiz really worries me. With Gary  Cahill you know what you get. With David Luiz it is becoming worse than your worst prediction by every match. 

I also am concerned about Luiz I feel he is getting back to his old complacent self. I really feel that old Luiz is slowly coming back under the radar. I think he needs competition or to be pushed for midfield for the time being. Maybe a new cb to challenge him would make him sit up again.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah , I rewatched it tonight , we totally controlled the game even after Cahill went we still did , the media are trying to have this down as a Shaun Dyche masterclass  but it's rubbish , we get Morata on at half-time we win the game.

No.

You are ignoring the clock and the rhythm of the match.  You go a man and a goal down that early, you play it safe until 70 mins are up and then go for it.  
A man up and a goal up and you continue to make an effort up front till 70 mins but if you go 3 up at the end you just batten down the hatches and see what happens.
What actually happened after conceding the first is that we went ultra cautious and they were dominant in terms of chances for the rest of H1.
They might easily have got a 4th or 5th from a number of chances.

Sure we did well to come back in terms of goals.  But in terms of possession that is just the way it goes when one side takes a big early lead.

Not even going to bite. I know what I saw.