Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

490 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure if this belongs here - but we're looking for positives today, so here's a couple.

I just watched extended highlights of Loftus-Cheeks performance for Palace today. Honestly, it was a midfield masterclass. Long range and short passing, creating chances, winning tackles, great skills. Looked class, better than he's ever been for us. Fabregas-esque at times.

Also watched Abraham for Swansea - looked class, unlucky not to score.

I think one season away to get regular PL experience, and these guys are going to be ready for to be legitimate contenders for our starting eleven, certainly to rotate and play fairly regularly in important games - much like Christensen is now. If they mature and develop, they honestly could save us some money next summer. 

One thing the board does want is more young players coming through, and it looks like some loan players might, on today's showing, have that talent. Not to mention Musonda and Christensen.

Maybe if Conte goes, we need to get a manager not only with a reputation for winning major trophies, but blooding young talent.

Edited by James Prescott

Posted (edited)

A bit of a bummer today but the lads showed great effort and quality in the second half.

I felt a bit sorry for Boga having to come off so soon but circumstances dictate.

Edited by kratos

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

Additionally, whilst I 100% agree that fans should never mockingly celebrate passes and substitutions I did understand the Costa chants (although I did not personally did not take part in them). I say this as he is a great player who, contrary to what some posters on here say, always put in a shift by occupying two CBs and making runs. He is obviously gone but lets not forget he was a key player in two title wins. 

I am in full agreement on Costa, he was a warrior for us and I am of the belief that he was vital even in the second half of last season. Gutted about him leaving as despite Morata's great start he leaves big shoes to fill. I will never forget how good he was for us in two title wins. However today there was a section of the crowd singing his name directly after sarcastically clapping Bats finally completing a pass. It was nothing to do with Diego but more a snide dig at Michy. In general I don't think we have enough songs for our players and I wish we could show a bit more support for the ones who are actually there. JT/Lamps obviously exempt.

Edited by samhoward17

Morata showed more intelligence and off the ball running in 30 mins than Batshuayi has shown his whole chelsea career. It is easy to mark a stationary striker who just wants the ball played to feet. We need a 3rd striker with a brain

Posted (edited)

I only got to watch the highlights on motd.I said before I will judge the team when we have all our players fit again and the transfer window is closed - but seriously guys we would pummell them with a full team,so not worried at all about the result,it happens.

A lwb is a priorty(we had Bertrand ffs)Courtois is looking unreliable,bats is a poacher and not a centre forward in the modern sense(as someone mentioned)moses is looking average and Fabregas is fine and dandy when we dominate.

So yes we need more players but I have faith in Conte.This time next month we will asking what all the fuss was about...or the month after☺

Edited by kev61

Morata obvs not fit enough to play 90 or he would start. Shearer et al questioning why he didn't start is moronic. 

Reminded me of Crespo with movement. Just 2 steps ahead of everyone else so at least that bodes well.

However, Terrible result and shocking first half performance, akin to Mourinho bad season and Ancelotti bad moment. Sadly can see it happening again. Unless conte gets 4+ signings he will be gone by October. 

Cahill should be docked a week's wages.

Posted (edited)

Horrible referee
Much has been written about Pawson, and I agree that I have not seen a worse refereeing display since Øvrebø 2009. You could always bring up the "Laws of the game" book and say that Cahill's red is correct. But it should still not have been given. Even if he "went in dangerously", there was no danger in his attempt as the speed of tackle was slow and he did not make any contact. The referee is not supposed to affect the game, this one massively did. There will always be pundits who agree or disagree on Cahill's red, and those things could happen. It was not the moment that made this one of the worst refereeing performances of the decade, it was everything else. First, there was no balance in the game - Chelsea was penalised for everything, Burnley for nothing. Every 50/50 went in Burnley's favour, and he failed to take action on two of Burnley's biggest cheats. One of Vokes' best moves is to throw himself into defenders to make it look like he has been fouled. Imagine the media and Twitter meltdown if Costa did it. Vokes did that several times too, and instead of seeing a clear yellow, he gets his team a free kick (and a chance to score) and the opponent a yellow card. Tom Heaton's time wasting was comedy. Both these players should have seen yellows, but instead they benefited massively from cheating and just continued to do so the entire game. These things affect the game perhaps just as much a red card. Craig Pawson has always looked not up to it, and today should be the nail in the coffin for his PL career. 

Lack of leadership on the pitch (first half)
Cahill makes a mistake and loses the ball, dives in with a tackle in what is a very unwise move. Even if the red is harsh, he knows who the referee is and he knows he booked Alonso after two minutes for nothing. Decision making like that from your captain is unacceptable. And his honorable reaction is just making it worse. It is like he accepts it. Pawson feels he made the right decision. Sad to say, but had he responded by complaining and shouting, like captain leader legend would have, I think Pawson would have given us less horror. That is how football works today. And I expect that intelligence from our captain. Now suspended for three games. Honestly, Cahill failed remarkably on his captain debut.

When Conte took Boga off and brought Christensen on, it was a move for defensive stability, for angry heads to calm down and get control of the game. But our most experienced players, the supposedly leaders, let their emotions take over. They should have lead us to half time with a clean sheet. They all crumbled. Fabregas' yellow is stupid and affects his defending for the rest of the game. The organization in defence was shocking, and that is Luiz' main responsibility - who was also too passive on goal number one and three. Courtois looked shaky and should have saved at least one of the first two. And where was our captain Azpilicueta, when his team went 1, 2 and 3-0 down at home to Burnley? We all know the days of Terry, Lampard and Drogba is over. But today was a really discouraging contrast. Just hope this was the low-point, and that low points like this is what these players need in order to improve. Our leaders have to take responsibility, and they have to show something completely different starting tomorrow.

Massive improvement and silver linings (second half)
It was a heroic response. Getting one goal back with 10 men, and then one more with 9 is impressive. But I think the performance as a whole was great, and there were a lot of positives to take from this second half. Burnley were hanging on, with 11 against 9! That tells you all you need to know. Morata was superb. A goal, an assist and a disallowed goal in 30 minutes, playing for a team with 10 and 9 men, is very impressive. He just looks quality. Getting our new CF off to a flying start is hugely important. Christensen and Rüdiger both shook off the first half, and duly delivered after the break. No doubt they will contribute a lot more than Terry, Aké and Zouma did last season. Alonso and Willian are also worthy mentions, both delivered experienced and influential performances in the second half.

Nothing like 2015/16
Bad results in pre-season. Losing to Arsenal in the CS. Dropping points at home to a lowly side in the PL opener. It is easy draw comparisons to our shambolic title defending season two years ago. But for me, still don't feel anything like it. Player fitness was an issue then, it clearly is not now. Lack of signings was an issue then, and it won't be now. Yes, we are three-four players short, but both Conte and the club clearly wants more signings, so we are going to get them. Plus, it has happened before with a lot of these players. They are not going to let that happen again. I don't think we will win the title, but I think things are looking a lot better than it did 24 months ago. If we could follow up last season's magnificent title with a safe top 4 place and a CL quarter final, I think I will be very happy. And even though we lose at home to Burnley in the opener, it still feels like a struck of lightning rather than a basket full of rotten apples.

Win or lose, up the Blues!

Edited by jones

I watched it back for the third time and Pawson had a shocker.

Cahill's "lunge" was an attempt to get the ball back that his heavy touch had lost and not in the spirit of what red cards for lunges were introduced for , the only part of him that came into contact with the Burnley player who milked it for all it was worth , was a slow motion assault of the inside of his thigh and possibly his jock strap.

Fabregas yellow , sarcastic applause is a yellow card but again was earned due to Pawson making a horrendous call , the Burnley player launches himself from above into a stationery Fabregas , tumbles to the turf , feigns injury and wins a free kick all of his own making . I'm surprised Fabregas managed to stop at applause as that call was worth a chinning.

Fabregas 2nd yellow , if Cahill gets a straight red then so on this basis should Fabregas , I believe however that Fabregas smashes the ball against the Burnley players foot as he was kicking it , hence the movement of the ball and Fabregas subsequent inability to grasp the referees decision.

Ben Mee , towards the end of the game Ben Mee tackles one of our lot , slides in and sandwiches their leg , exactly the same as Cahill earlier , Pawson by his own previous performance should have sent him off but merely books him.

Burnley goals , all three Burnley goals could have been stopped at source had we bothered to close down the ball carrier but we back away and invite the cross . Just like the two Erikson deliveries to Alli last season. That needs work .

Courtois , could have done better on the first , was surprised by the second and at fault for the third which despite the velocity was straight at him , everyone knows I don't rate him so there is possibly a hefty chunk of bias there but this performance on top of a woeful pre season is reminiscent of the last JM season where everything on target went in.

Luis , great goal , great passion but a poor all round performance , bullied by Vokes and was on the verge of losing it all game , mind you it must be difficult when any physical activity from the opposition is allowed but literally anything you do is penalised.

Morata , a goal and an assist on a half fit debut will do me , he'll get a hatful.

Debuts for ex youth team players Boga , Musonda and the excellent Christensen  which is what we've been pushing for .

A narcissistic performance from an idiot ruined the game and played right into the media's hands so they can hammer home the "Conte in crisis" angle .

Good posts Mark and Jones.  👍

14 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Cahill's tackle was stupid and deserved a red (that others have been given yellows doesn't matter). Fabregas was stupid to 'ironically' applaud the ref and deserved that yellow. His second yellow was the sort of tackle that I've seen reds given for, so he was/we were lucky in that regard!  Rudiger looked good. Christensen acquitted himself well. Morata did very well... shame his 'selfish' striker's instinct led to a goal being chalked off for off-side. If he'd left the ball alone, it was going in and the goal would have stood. If Conte didn't think he was in good enough 'condition' to start, I'll have to bow to his better judgement, but I hope he starts against Spurs. The way we came back in the second half showed a never-say-die attitude that was missing two seasons ago, so, in spite of the mini implosion after Cahill's red, I'm not as concerned as some of the more volatile members of the forum.

I guess I would fall into that category you term "more volatile". That said, what you say in your post backs up the thrust of our criticism.

1. Both reds were warranted (and stupid)

2. The team imploded in the first half.

Massive respect to be paid to Conte (presumably) for turning things around at half time, albeit Fabregas managed to get himself sent off.

The main issue however should be laid at the door of the board for allowing us to be in the situation we now find ourselves regarding the game next weekend. Moses should play and if Pedro recovers in time then it should just be a question of who fills the midfield slot vacated by Fabregas. If it turns out that David Luiz moves up then it just goes to show how desperate we are. The main issue however is what our bench will look like and more importantly what they will be able to offer as a plan B should we need to change things up. As far as I can see we won't have anyone in that category available.

As for replacements, Drinkwater is injured so wouldn't be able to play even if he managed to pass Conte's stringent fitness/Chelsea ethos requirements. Realistically we won't be able to get anyone in time to play against Spurs and the best we can expect is a bench warmer. A week later it's Mr Potato Head and Everton followed by the international break which will by definition slow down the chances of any more signings. Potentially, and not unrealistically given the thin squad, we could be looking at coming back from the break to play Leicester bottom of the league.

So, volatile? Realistic more like. And what infuriates me is that it could have been so easily avoided by the board acting more professionally. The way they cleaned out the perceived dead wood before having any replacements lined up and the way they allowed Diego Costs to dictate to them just smacks to me of niaive negotiation. We deserve better.