• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

2 hours ago, jones said:

Very true. Still believe we will make signings and come good eventually, but season has already been negatively impacted by the club's failed transfer summer. No excuse, really. 

2 hours ago, jones said:

And fwiw, I don't criticise selling the players we sold (wanted to leave and/or not wanted by Conte) or loaned (neither of  the necessary quality). The problem is failing to buy the players we needed to replace them with. Yes, it is a tough market. But their strategy of waiting until the end of the window has failed miserably. Market will be even worse for us after losing to Burnley. 

I suppose one can have a viewpoint on some of our outgoings... 

Could RLC still have been a good squad player for us? I think so yes. Could Chalobah have been a very good squad player for us? I think so yes. Could Ake have been a very good squad player for us? I think so yes.

Selling players when the coach doesn't deem them good enough is one thing. Not replacing the outgoings quite a different matter all together. 

We've seen this happen before and I'm starting to think that there are a few at this club who doesn't want the manager/coach to get too powerful. It's the only explanation that makes even a little bit of sense. Cause the alternative is utter incompetence and I'm not sure how one can hide that for 10-14 seasons... 

However, if Conte has really signed off on Loftus-Cheek, Ake, Chalobah, Matic etc. then he shares that blame. Matic for example is one of the best midfielders in the league and we've just let him go to Man U. Inexcusable. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Stick a formula 1 engine on a vehicle with just 2 wheels and you can go even faster so long as you are ready for a massive fall.  Small squads for you and right now we have no squad at all.

Last season we had a mini-crisis and Ivanovic, Fabregas and Willian followed JT out of the team and 4 new players came in, with 2 superstars, Fabregas and Willian struggling to get game time for the rest of the season.
We could do that because we had players.  JM 15/16 and Conte as of now do not have that option.

On refs - I am sure the refs are out to get us, or will be as soon as we win a couple of games.  But very clearly we got 2 reds that we could have avoided - and have had plenty of advance warning - so it really is not the right time to start blaming refs and not the players yet.

Oh yes.  But Conte (and JM in summer 15) must take some blame as well.  It is all very well leaking hints about resigning - but the head coach (or whatever he calls) needs to pre-empt this kind of incompetence.

I don't blame the players. The players aren't at fault for not being enough in numbers. They can only do what they can influence themselves. 

As for the squad. This was the squad we started with in 2015/16:

GK: Courtois, Begovic, Amelia

FB: Azlilicueta, Ivanovic, Baba Rahman

CB: Terry, Cahill, Zouma, Djilobodji

CM: Fabregas, Matic, Mikel, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Hazard, Willian, Oscar, Pedro, Kenedy, Traore

S: Costa, Falcao, Remy

17 seniors (not counting Loftus-Cheek, Kenedy, Traore).

At this point in time we've got 15 senior outfielders (not counting Musonda and Boga but including Christensen)... 

GK: Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo

DF: Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Luiz, Cahill, Christensen

WB: Moses, Alonso

CM: Fabregas, Kante, Bakayoko

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Musonda Jr, Boga

S: Morata, Bats

So... This situation is even worse than in 2015/16. Now. There's only one single projection one can make out of this information. Well two actually. 

1. We're ****ed. Like proper ****ed. 

2. The board is a group of absolute wankers. 

That's it. 

10 minutes ago, Bison said:

Cahill is an absolute nightmare. Genuinely cannot stand him as a player.

Cahill is far from my favourite, but he's a decent enough player. Personally I hope Christensen will manage to establish himself over the next three games. 

When Arsenal were losing on Friday night , they brought on Ramsey , Giroud and Walcott and won the game (albeit by cheating again).

What on earth is Conte supposed to do ?

Pull quality players out of his ass ?

jones   
1 minute ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Could RLC still have been a good squad player for us? I think so yes. Could Chalobah have been a very good squad player for us? I think so yes. Could Ake have been a very good squad player for us? I think so yes.

They were squad players last year, and did not offer the necessary quality to displace the likes of Pedro, Matic, Cahill and so on. What we needed this season was not only upgrades on squad players, but upgrades on first XI players. The point is not whether they could have done a job, it's whether they were capable of doing the job. Conte clearly did not think so.

The only problem we have is that we only bought half of the players we were supposed to. Rüdiger, Christensen, Morata and Bakayoko are all strengthening us, but we should have had three or four more of them by now. Yes, there is still time to make signings, but the lack of action has negatively impacted pre-season, squad happiness and our start to the PL season. THAT is the problem.

5 minutes ago, jones said:

They were squad players last year, and did not offer the necessary quality to displace the likes of Pedro, Matic, Cahill and so on. What we needed this season was not only upgrades on squad players, but upgrades on first XI players. The point is not whether they could have done a job, it's whether they were capable of doing the job. Conte clearly did not think so.

The only problem we have is that we only bought half of the players we were supposed to. Rüdiger, Christensen, Morata and Bakayoko are all strengthening us, but we should have had three or four more of them by now. Yes, there is still time to make signings, but the lack of action has negatively impacted pre-season, squad happiness and our start to the PL season. THAT is the problem.

Sure. But when looking at the 16 outfield players we have available for Spurs you'd have to be very good to convince me we're better off without those players. 

Ake, Chalobah, Matic and Loftus-Cheek are all good enough to be starting for us. Not being an automatic starter perhaps, but they're good enough to start games without seriously weakening us. 

Now we are starting games with Boga and people think Musonda Jr. will prove to be a revelation. Neither are anywhere near Loftus-Cheek... Scott is several levels below Chalobah and Ake would plug CM, LWB and CB holes all day long with little fuss. 

Thats my point - every player doesn't have to be Zinedine Zidane in his heyday. They can still fulfill an important squad role. 

Zoowraa   
2 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Sure. But when looking at the 16 outfield players we have available for Spurs you'd have to be very good to convince me we're better off without those players. 

Ake, Chalobah, Matic and Loftus-Cheek are all good enough to be starting for us. Not being an automatic starter perhaps, but they're good enough to start games without seriously weakening us. 

Now we are starting games with Boga and people think Musonda Jr. will prove to be a revelation. Neither are anywhere near Loftus-Cheek... Scott is several levels below Chalobah and Ake would plug CM, LWB and CB holes all day long with little fuss. 

Thats my point - every player doesn't have to be Zinedine Zidane in his heyday. They can still fulfill an important squad role. 

Precisely. People forget we had great momentum and few games last season, during the main part of season from October-March , the team picked itself bar small change of Pedro/Willian or Fabregas/Matic.

Its not really a case of these players ,such as Ake, RLC were not of the required quality to play a part, it was a case of we didn't need to make changes for large majority of the season.

We could have an extra 10-20 games this season. We will need to use them........if they were here!

Holymoly   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

When Arsenal were losing on Friday night , they brought on Ramsey , Giroud and Walcott and won the game (albeit by cheating again).

What on earth is Conte supposed to do ?

Pull quality any players out of his ass ?

Fixed that for you.

5 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don't blame the players. The players aren't at fault for not being enough in numbers. They can only do what they can influence themselves. 

I'm not blaming the players for the performances (and 3, Kante, Willian and Alonse were very good).
But I am certainly blaming Cahill, Fabregas and Luiz for stupid things that did/could have lead to Reds.

5 hours ago, jones said:

???  NO what we needed was more depth.

So... This situation is even worse than in 2015/16. Now. There's only one single projection one can make out of this information. Well two actually. 

Certainly - though to be fair Djilobodji was a Sept 1st signing, and I'm sure we will get at least one Anybodji (nice term, I'll nick that) in the next 2 weeks.

I have no idea why people think that Musonda and Boga are serious squad members, anymore than Traore Kenedy or RLC were proper 15/16 squad members.  But obviously plenty have posted to say they are.

Ake or Chalobah would have been proper alternatives.  RLC I'm not sure about, but Kasey Palmer started yesterday in the Huddersfield team that just beat Palace 3-0.  Piazon, Palmer, Pasalic and Abraham are all on loan and like RLC are far far more credible first team players than Musonda or Boga.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:26 AM, chelboy said:

I also am concerned about Luiz I feel he is getting back to his old complacent self. I really feel that old Luiz is slowly coming back under the radar. I think he needs competition or to be pushed for midfield for the time being. Maybe a new cb to challenge him would make him sit up again.

I've been really thinking the same way about him recently, I agree also about his potential as a CM rather than a CB, but let's not get sidetracked here - we don't have enough players to sustain a single match.

It's insane to criticise any one now, we have no other options, our team got scraped to the bone, the best that we can do is to pick up the pieces and baby step our way to safety. I agree with most of the posts in here, that there was a very valueable lesson for us to learn, it was painful no doubt, but I have a good feeling that the next 2 weeks will bring in a better news.  We might need to play different tactics until we get the proper support to lift the team up, and until then we're a sitting duck.     

Come on everybody let's sing this song to calm our anger "I feel pretty , oh so pretty..."

What the **** is going on?

I wish they would just come out and say it's going to be a tough 5 years as we are going to use player sales to finance the stadium build. 

23 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

I wish they would just come out and say it's going to be a tough 5 years as we are going to use player sales to finance the stadium build. 

I doubt that 'they' will say that, as the club appears to be attempting to raise the finance through commercial avenues (i.e., they're going to borrow the finance). So in reality, player sales really don't come into it, do they?