Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Burnley 3

490 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hearing in some reports that Boga is likely to start on the left, with Bats as the striker and Morata on the bench.

Honestly, Morata had a proper pre-season with Madrid and has trained with us for two or three weeks now, and had enough minutes to get him to start. He looked good last week when he came on, far better than Bats. His movement, link up play and ability in the air looked good.

Morata should start tomorrow. He's our record signing and best striker. He's not been injured and had a full pre-season overall. No reason not to play him.

Either play him up top with Bats and Willian as number 10, or play him with Boga/Musonda and Willian. 

Only positive is he's not playing Morata on the left. That would be worse than not starting, for me.

Conte said Morata needs time to adapt to his style of play. He said that about Bats a year ago, and he barely played. I truly hope Morata doesn't end up on the bench all season. Certainly, he has to start against Spurs, because I'm still not convinced by Bats in the big games, and think Morata is just a better all round player.

Still, if Boga does start tomorrow, it's actually really exciting, good to see a young player getting a chance in the PL - and a great opportunity for him. I hope he takes it. Though when Hazard and Pedro are fit, hard to see him or Willian forcing them out. 

Edited by James Prescott

28 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Conte said Morata needs time to adapt to his style of play.

And Conte would be the best judge of that, surely? He's working with the guy every day, and can see his improvement/fitness/awareness better than anyone here.

It's 'Game 1' in what will be a long, busy season. Conte knows what he's doing.

Just now, Michael Tucker said:

And Conte would be the best judge of that, surely? He's working with the guy every day, and can see his improvement/fitness/awareness better than anyone here.

It's 'Game 1' in what will be a long, busy season. Conte knows what he's doing.

I'm concerned because he said that about Bats last season and I don't want Morata suffering the same fate, when he's a better player IMO. 

Morata is a top class striker, and even in his 15 minutes last Sunday did more for me than Bats did. I just hope he's ready for the Spurs game. Burnley would have been a perfect game for him to start for an hour or so, give him more minutes, then bring Bats on. And Conte wanted Morata, and has spoken highly of him.

But guess you're right, it's only game 1 and Conte knows what he's doing.

I was just hoping he'd be ready to start against Spurs, and that not be his first game. Still, being a big game player historically, maybe Spurs at Wembley is the perfect game to make his first start.

Bats is a good player and will do a good job against Burnley - and Boga starting, if it happens, will genuinely excite me. Maybe we'll end up keeping him and Musonda this season. Certainly would save us buying another attacking midfielder. 

42 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Morata should start tomorrow. He's our record signing and best striker. He's not been injured and had a full pre-season overall. No reason not to play him. 

How do you know he's our best striker? Because he cost more than Batshuayi? He's played 15 min of competitive football with us and did little to suggest he's remotely up to speed. Which isn't a surprise given his lack of pre-season. 

At this point in time it would be fair to say that Michy is our best choice presently. He's got good pre-season form (not to mention was good back end of last season), and he's match fit. Rightly so, he should start. 

31 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

I'm concerned because he said that about Bats last season and I don't want Morata suffering the same fate, when he's a better player IMO. 

Basically we agree then. Although, I think that last season Conte made it fairly clear that Batshuayi was working hard, but he wasn't where he needed to be (for Conte), and then earned his shot late i the season. 

Morata is a top class striker, and even in his 15 minutes last Sunday did more for me than Bats did.

No question. I thought that the improvement i his game was significant.

But guess you're right, it's only game 1 and Conte knows what he's doing.

Is all I'm saying - its early doors. No need to rush anyone.

Posted (edited)

I'm hoping we have some of the same referreeing as the gooners got tonight. One CLEAR handball for the equaliser and one CLEAR foul on Maguire for the winner. 

Add that to the refereeing in the community shield and you'd have to say that they have had their season's worth of decisions already. 

Edited by Ham

Conte: Possibilities and potential

NEWSSAT 12 AUG 2017

One of the decisions Antonio Conte will have to make today is whether or not to start Michy Batshuayi and the boss has been considering the striker’s development.

Batshuayi struck five goals in pre-season following on from a fine end to last term when he netted four in three games, including that famous winner at the Hawthorns. He is likely to be competing with new signing Alvaro Morata for a starting berth up front this season and Conte has assessed his chances of being named in the XI today.

‘It’s a great possibility for Michy,’ he said. ‘He has played every [pre-season] game from the start and it’s very important for him to play well.

‘Michy is working very well, he is putting 120 per cent in every moment during the training session and during the game. We are talking about a young player. He needs to develop, but for sure he is trying to put his best in every moment of the day.

‘We worked very hard with him last season. He didn’t play a lot but I think he adapted himself to our style of football. He has a lot of space to improve, he is a young player and he needs to continue to work and to improve.’

The challenges facing young players such as Batshuayi are different to those Conte experiences because of his history in the game.

‘I have always worked with great pressure. It’s normal. It’s important to face the pressure in the right way. Sometimes you are more serious, sometimes you laugh. It’s important to have this habit to face the pressure.

‘For young players it is difficult because they are not used to the pressure. They can pay for the pressure. It’s very difficult to judge a young player only during the training session, but there are moments you have to take risks because you don’t have other possibilities and you have to go with the young player.’

Conte might have to do that for today’s league opener against Burnley, with Eden HazardPedroand Tiemoue Bakayoko all out injured. The boss says it is very important not to rush them back as that could have negative consequences, and he doesn’t want to use their absence as an excuse in the early weeks of the season.

‘It is not important who is injured. It’s important to try to do our best. If our best will bring us to win the game, it’s right.

‘I want to see the real Chelsea today. The season is starting and we must be ready. We have to try to play good football and we have to try to win the game. For sure it will not be easy in this part of the season, but I don’t want to find any excuses for me, my staff or my players. We have to go and to fight and try to win with the players we have.’

Unnecessary pressure on this game: a win is suddenly more or less a must or the "crisis" will be total in the eyes of the media and some supporters. And such a thin squad the starting weeks really does seem like an avoidable and stupid risk.

Here's to 2-0 to Chelsea with Morata scoring both. 

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, cii99mn1 said:

Unnecessary pressure on this game: a win is suddenly more or less a must or the "crisis" will be total in the eyes of the media and some supporters. And such a thin squad the starting weeks really does seem like an avoidable and stupid risk.

Here's to 2-0 to Chelsea with Morata scoring both. 

We're already in crisis.

Our squad is wafer thin, and not capable of winning the title, barely good enough to make top four. And the board are 'trying to sign players' but getting nowhere.

This is 2015 all over again, but worse. And it's all the board's fault, not the managers. Wouldn't blame him for walking if we have this squad 1 September - or sign 3 Dilibodji's. 

If we get 3/4 good players before the window shuts (say, Rose, Drinkwater and Ox), then we have a chance of competing for the title this year. If not, top four at best and Conte will be gone before Christmas. 

I hope we win today, but not sure. God help us next weekend against Spurs if we're having to start Boga and haven't signed anyone. We'll get hammered.

Edited by James Prescott

25 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

We're already in crisis.

Our squad is wafer thin, and not capable of winning the title, barely good enough to make top four. And the board are 'trying to sign players' but getting nowhere.

This is 2015 all over again, but worse. And it's all the board's fault, not the managers. Wouldn't blame him for walking if we have this squad 1 September - or sign 3 Dilibodji's. 

If we get 3/4 good players before the window shuts (say, Rose, Drinkwater and Ox), then we have a chance of competing for the title this year. If not, top four at best and Conte will be gone before Christmas. 

I hope we win today, but not sure. God help us next weekend against Spurs if we're having to start Boga and haven't signed anyone. We'll get hammered.

I don't see why "having to start Boga" is such a telling factor. One post back you said you liked him. I don't think that you should be predicting that giving him a game would lead us to getting a hammering against Spurs.