• Current Donation Goals

xCELERYx   
39 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The defence were not really tested because of midfield.The midfield allowed Alonso to get forward at will that led to our two goals.

Wouldn't say they weren't tested, Spurs did have a couple of good chances that on another day could have easily gone in. That said, the defence was excellent because we made Spurs play to our game plan. This had classic Conte all over it. He set us up in a way that it had us have more bodies in the midfield to make it more difficult to play through. This forced Tottenham into the wider areas to create their play from. Having the size advantage in these situations saw us come out on top more often than not and resulted in all 3 CB's making 19 clearances between them. Alonso also chipped in with 7 of his own on top of that when he tucked in at times.  

One of the advantages of 352 and that extra CM opposed to having two AM's. More ability to cut out the central passing lanes and forces teams to play wider to get their space and attack from. Which suits us fine when we've got that size advantage down back. From there, it's just a matter of the midfield making sure they track any midfield runners ghosting into the box.

Vinod   
8 hours ago, Faramir said:

Surely it is a combination of the two?

Conte sets up the team and prepares them for the game, and the players execute what he has asked and trained them to do.

True. However, thanks to the tactical analysis overkill that goes on in the media and the web, we forget that discipline and workrate, and at times skill, is what makes or breaks a game. 

Tactically the teams cancelled each other out. However, Spurs lacked the discipline and focus at certain times. They were a bit too eager in trying to win the ball. If not for the referee, they would have been a slew of yellows and a red for them.

We, on the other hand, with a makeshift team and a half fit midfielder found that extra bit of motivation to keep it tight and eventually get the win.

I loved how the players got the job done on the pitch. One of the most gratifying victories in recent time.

Edited by Vinod
Added points

Sciatika   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

...He set us up in a way that it had us have more bodies in the midfield to make it more difficult to play through. This forced Tottenham into the wider areas to create their play from...

And bear in mind that there two most potent wide players from last season (Walker and Rose) were both missing. Trippier and Davis are nowhere near as dangerous (yet).

4 hours ago, Vinod said:

True. However, thanks to the tactical analysis overkill that goes on in the media and the web, we forget that discipline and workrate, and at times skill, is what makes or breaks a game.

Agree its as a combination of a tactical plan, how well the players execute the plan, how well the team are prepared (fitness) and more nebulous factors such as confidence, disciple, motivation and, in the end, luck. The ,margins are fine at the highest levels.

4 hours ago, Vinod said:

If not for the referee, they would have been a slew of yellows and a red for them.

Also agree that they seem to get away with murder. It seems like studs up and high challenges from Dier, Vertonghen, Wanyama and Dembele are deemed OK but not anyone else. Kane always takes at least one dive in each game. In this game a ridiculous pretend diving header backwards whilst looking up at the ref appealing for a pen. And don't get me on the miraculous recoveries made by Alle and Rose after repeated attacks to the head, body and legs as they go down time after time. I am amazed Alle is allowed to play football on medical grounds given his clear inability to run any distance without falling over.

Sometimes it's very nice to be proven wrong.

1) I thought the team were struggling for confidence and morale was low, but the way they went about their business showed a team united in their effort and motivation. It was very encouraging to see the way we came together and sacrificed on the pitch. The celebrations after showed just how much it meant to everyone.

2) I certainly did not see us lining up in a 3-5-2, especially since we hadn't used the formation for a single minute in pre-season. I definitely think it caught out Spurs and played a big part in nullifying their strengths. Kudos to Conte for springing the surprise.

Big win, even this early in the season. You really don't want o be 5-6 points behind, even if it's just a couple of games in. It's especially delicious how it's halted the whole 'Chelsea in crises' narrative that the press were so giddy in pursuing. This must be so gutted.

Now, let's follow this up with another win at home, a few signings, and the likes of Hazard, Bakayoko, and Pedro back to full fitness.  

Interesting story about Bakayoko - he apparently got a call from Drogba midweek saying how big the Spurs game was - and then he went to Conte himself and said "If you need me, I will run for 90 minutes and worry about it later." 

Apparently, Conte was hugely taken aback by the gesture.

If that's true, I love the guy already. Total commitment.

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Interesting story about Bakayoko - he apparently got a call from Drogba midweek saying how big the Spurs game was - and then he went to Conte himself and said "If you need me, I will run for 90 minutes and worry about it later." 

Apparently, Conte was hugely taken aback by the gesture.

If that's true, I love the guy already. Total commitment.

Sounds like he's cast from the JT mould - we need a few of those

12 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I believe that was Kalas. ;) 

Christensen has spent the last couple of years in Germany.

My bad, it was indeed Kalas who had a great game. 2014 season wasn't it? First Jose season on his return.. I think Christenson was still at the club then though. He may have moved at the end of that season. As cover for Luis now though I think he will do very nicely. Like him a lot.

BlueWill   
21 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

They did hit the post. and Courtois made a few saves, one very good.

We too hit the post. My point was they created no clear chances, certainly Kane's effort was not a clear chance. Speculative shooting from longer range & poor angles is not indicative of a confidence that 'chances will come'. 

I'm sure that you were as concerned as I about how deep we defended at times but we did get our shape back, largely due to  AC screaming and waving his arms. I thought Courtois had a decent game.