• Current Donation Goals

41 minutes ago, jones said:

Very much, Azpi is a better shout than Luiz at CM. (Christensen too for that matter.) Luiz at CB will give us much needed stability also. To continue with the back three that ended the positive second half against Burnley makes sense from a confidence perspective also. Azpi can sit deep and man mark Eriksen, who is their most important player imo. Would be a defensive tactic, but I think Azpi could be a very effective man-marker. Eriksen assisted three of the last four goals we conceded against Spurs, from just outside the box, so goes without saying that we need to stop him with other measures than before. 3-5-2 was used last season when we wanted to close games, and that is exactly what I expect here. Kanté and Willian on either side of Azpi would give us an advantage in the center of the pitch, and they also pose a huge counter-attacking threat that may restrict their CMs from contributing in attack. Batshuayi + Morata could be a decent duo up front too. If Pedro is fit, he takes Batshuayi's place and plays as the secondary striker off Morata.

For me, it's definitely

Courtois

Christensen
Luiz
Rudiger

Moses
Kante
Azpi
Willian
Alonso

Batshuayi/Pedro
Morata

Frankly, a draw is the target here. We need to sit deep, wait for opportunities to counter and hope for magic.

Yep - Azpi on Eriksen makes a lot of sense. 

cii99mn1   

jones talk a lot of sense in that post. Remember also that we are without Cahill for two more games and keeping the same back three in all three games makes sense. 

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, jones said:

Very much, Azpi is a better shout than Luiz at CM. (Christensen too for that matter.) Luiz at CB will give us much needed stability also. To continue with the back three that ended the positive second half against Burnley makes sense from a confidence perspective also. Azpi can sit deep and man mark Eriksen, who is their most important player imo. Would be a defensive tactic, but I think Azpi could be a very effective man-marker. Eriksen assisted three of the last four goals we conceded against Spurs, from just outside the box, so goes without saying that we need to stop him with other measures than before. 3-5-2 was used last season when we wanted to close games, and that is exactly what I expect here. Kanté and Willian on either side of Azpi would give us an advantage in the center of the pitch, and they also pose a huge counter-attacking threat that may restrict their CMs from contributing in attack. Batshuayi + Morata could be a decent duo up front too. If Pedro is fit, he takes Batshuayi's place and plays as the secondary striker off Morata.

Keeping the same back three is important, but it's also where we have our best alternatives. I'd still rather see Luiz in midfield because he's played CM before, is more comfortable on the ball, and can offer some passing penetration. Azpi may be more defensively solid but a midfield of Kante and himself is going to make it tough for us in the final third to break open a defensively solid Spurs side. There's an argument for both options and just a matter if one prefers the more defensive or attacking approach. Certainly agree that we need to make sure we don't allow Eriksen time and space to create, while also making sure our midfield track Spurs runners from deep, particularly Ali. 

jones   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Keeping the same back three is important, but it's also where we have our best alternatives. I'd still rather see Luiz in midfield because he's played CM before, is more comfortable on the ball, and can offer some passing penetration. Azpi may be more defensively solid but a midfield of Kante and himself is going to make it tough for us in the final third to break open a defensively solid Spurs side. There's an argument for both options and just a matter if one prefers the more defensive or attacking approach. Certainly agree that we need to make sure we don't allow Eriksen time and space to create, while also making sure our midfield track Spurs runners from deep, particularly Ali. 

Man marking Eriksen would be a tactical surprise to a very well-functioning Spurs XI. Take their rhythm away, and we become more defensively solid. And a back three of Rüdiger, Christensen and Azpi is nowhere the one that finished against Burnley, at least until Christensen becomes a man. Just too early for him to organise a back three away to Spurs. Would surprise me a lot if Luiz played CM in this match.

No better man marker in this squad than Azpilicueta by the way, I would honestly sub myself off if I had to play with that annoying little pitbull terrier breathing down my neck all the time ;) 

Ham   

This is not an official CFC account, just a fans' account. 

Positive news.

Holymoly   
12 hours ago, cii99mn1 said:

jones talk a lot of sense in that post. Remember also that we are without Cahill for two more games and keeping the same back three in all three games makes sense. 

Pretty much the opinion Pat Nevin expressed in his column on the offical site.

jones   
10 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Pretty much the opinion Pat Nevin expressed in his column on the offical site.

That's a good sign I guess

xCELERYx   
16 hours ago, jones said:

Man marking Eriksen would be a tactical surprise to a very well-functioning Spurs XI. Take their rhythm away, and we become more defensively solid. And a back three of Rüdiger, Christensen and Azpi is nowhere the one that finished against Burnley, at least until Christensen becomes a man. Just too early for him to organise a back three away to Spurs. Would surprise me a lot if Luiz played CM in this match.

No better man marker in this squad than Azpilicueta by the way, I would honestly sub myself off if I had to play with that annoying little pitbull terrier breathing down my neck all the time ;) 

I understand the logic behind it. Azpi is not the best man marker imo, although solid he does have his lapses with marking runs off the ball. We'd essentially be wasting our best one-on-one and most consistent defender with a man marking job in a position he's barely, if ever, played. A huge risk against a skillful and intelligent player like Eriksen. Could quite easily go pear shaped altogether and then what?

Then there's what we'd get on the other side of the ball which is equally as important to consider. Without Fabregas we have little in the way of passing in midfield. Azpi may be tidy enough with his short passing within a few yards but we're going to need a little more than that at times, which is where someone like Luiz has that advantage. He may not be as defensively disciplined but he's quite capable with the ball to create something for us going forward, while familiar with the position. 

Again, there's enough to argue for either play to get the nod. We'll have to just wait and see which way Conte goes. Hell, he may surprise us all and use neither player. 

kev61   

We dont need to man mark eriksen - we need to fill midfield that stops him playing and the rest of his team mates.

Most people thinking we will get stuffed - I think we will win 0-1,with Morata getting the winning goal.

5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I understand the logic behind it. Azpi is not the best man marker imo, although solid he does have his lapses with marking runs off the ball. We'd essentially be wasting our best one-on-one and most consistent defender with a man marking job in a position he's barely, if ever, played. A huge risk against a skillful and intelligent player like Eriksen. Could quite easily go pear shaped altogether and then what?

Then there's what we'd get on the other side of the ball which is equally as important to consider. Without Fabregas we have little in the way of passing in midfield. Azpi may be tidy enough with his short passing within a few yards but we're going to need a little more than that at times, which is where someone like Luiz has that advantage. He may not be as defensively disciplined but he's quite capable with the ball to create something for us going forward, while familiar with the position. 

Again, there's enough to argue for either play to get the nod. We'll have to just wait and see which way Conte goes. Hell, he may surprise us all and use neither player. 

To be fair, whatever tactic we chose could go pear shaped. What's worse is that we won't even have a chance to really change it due to lack of players.