• Current Donation Goals

Conte Kante

Champions League 2017/18

Lampen   

Kinda strange, the higher you placed in the premier league last season. The tougher group you get. I think we have been lucky for a few years. Last hard group was in 09-10 with Porto and Atl.Madrid. 

Hopefully we can use this to get some experience in europa. I think that was the problem a few years. No challenge in the group phase. Then suddenly a good team in the knockouts. We weren't use to the quality of the good teams. That won't happen now. Conte will learn a lot from this. United get an easy group, doesn't matter. They won't win it anyway. Can't sit back and defend against the best teams out there. 

4 minutes ago, Lampen said:

Can't sit back and defend against the best teams out there. 

Oh yes he can.

Lampen   
14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Oh yes he can.

Look how that worked against Real Madrid. They chose to sit back and let real play ball, could have been 3-0 before half time. 2nd half he was forced to attack, and looked ALOT better. Imo Mourinhos tactic is old and has been perfectioned by other managers like Simeone.

Horrible group - atletico are top quality, Roma won't be easy and Qarabag is in the middle of nowhere. Plus we are playing prem difficult teams either side of the champs league games.

39 minutes ago, bluecueball said:

Horrible group - atletico are top quality, Roma won't be easy and Qarabag is in the middle of nowhere. Plus we are playing prem difficult teams either side of the champs league games.

They play in Baku I gather which is a 3 million pop capital of Azerbajan.  5 hour flight mind.

8 hours ago, bluecueball said:

This is the problem. The group itself will be testing but that's what you want from this competition. However, as you mention, the matches we have on either side of the games are very, very difficult and could potentially derail our title challenge. That may not be a problem if we had a big, usable squad but alas. 

If we can get through the group and be within 5 points of the top of the league by December, I'll be very happy. 

Holymoly   
8 hours ago, bluecueball said:

Reality check guys. We only have to get out of the group. Previous experience has shown there's little advantage to be gained by topping your group. The only downside is the long trip to Azerbaijan. Pretty sure the other teams aren't that enamoured about coming to play us. The other thing to bear in mind is that the League has already gone for us because of the threadbare nature of the squad. This season is one of damage limitation. We just need to scrape into the top three of the Prem and hopefully be competitive in the knock out stages of the CL. Hopefully Conte will still be with us by the end of the season having signed an extension.

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

They play in Baku I gather which is a 3 million pop capital of Azerbajan.  5 hour flight mind.

Yeah was being facetious but I meant it in the context of Europe - surely a dutch or german team would have been nicer? 

1 hour ago, A Blue Essien said:

If we can get through the group and be within 5 points of the top of the league by December, I'll be very happy. 

Fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Reality check guys. We only have to get out of the group.

I still think we should be qualifying but it does make it tougher, especially with our minimal squad.

4 hours ago, bluecueball said:

Yeah was being facetious but I meant it in the context of Europe - surely a dutch or german team would have been nicer? 

Sure.  But from my point of view there must be a good chance of getting a cut priced ticket without a membership for the home game.  Look forward to that.

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sure.  But from my point of view there must be a good chance of getting a cut priced ticket without a membership for the home game.  Look forward to that.

I suppose ex-SVR agents still get some perks, then... even in Azerbaijan! ;-)