• Current Donation Goals

Ham   
52 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Disappointing frankly.  We relied on both a fabulous Courtois save and an appalling Schmeichel error to win.  Leicester have done little else this season to suggest they'd be an improvement on last season and we made them look like the season before.  This was game 1 of 7 games in 21 days, not game 7,  we have had only one bad reffing decision so far this season and our first player is injured before he makes an appearance.

What I liked:  Bakayoko looks like a big hungry animal in  midfield, with mobility to match his physicality.  Morata looks more like a Chelsea player who has been introduced to his colleagues than a guy straight off the RM bench.  Brilliant save again by Courtois, he is on form.  Kante as ever.  ZappoCosta looks competent on a brief sight.
I didn't see a single Erikssen moment - that is where an oppo player deep in our half had time to look up and measure a pass.  We were on top of them throughout.
And we won, and like the press I like to believe that "winning" is a hidden quality teams possess even when you can't explain why.
(and the ref got pretty much everything right too).

What I didn't like:  I watched much of the Swansea Newcastle game which consisted of long passages of both teams giving the ball away to the oppo in midfield again and again.  Championship football.  High pace, aggressive, very competent hustling players on both sides, but not top level football.  Much of this game was the same.

Bakayoko in particular seems to win the ball and then give it straight back.  I'd like to think he is getting used to the pace of the prem, and to facing teams with 5 hustlers of their own who play in the same way he does.  Lets hope so.  But others, Alonso, Pedro, even Kante were doing the same.

Fabregas's passing skills add to the team in proportion to the number of players in front of him.  Playing him at AM cuts his contribution by a third.
I finished watching the game thinking how good Vardy, Mahrez and Maguire are.  First time in 5 years I have thought something like that.

Entertaining game, result in doubt to the end, battling performance, we won,  but this does not fill me with confidence for the season.

Funny how people can see things so differently.

Fabregas was guilty of losing possession more than anyone on the pitch and yet you praise him and criticise Bakayoko for the same thing.

I'm unclear on whether you like or dislike Bakayoko. 

One bad reffing decision all season?  I've long suspected you don't watch the games. That confirms it for me.

We could and should have won that game by three or four clear goals. Apart from poor decisions in the final third we were excellent, especially in the first half.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make about Morata. "Introduced to his colleagues?"

paulw66   
32 minutes ago, Ham said:

Funny how people can see things so differently.

Fabregas was guilty of losing possession more than anyone on the pitch and yet you praise him and criticise Bakayoko for the same thing.

I'm unclear on whether you like or dislike Bakayoko. 

One bad reffing decision all season?  I've long suspected you don't watch the games. That confirms it for me.

We could and should have won that game by three or four clear goals. Apart from poor decisions in the final third we were excellent, especially in the first half.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make about Morata. "Introduced to his colleagues?"

Exaclty how I saw the game.

In the few minutes after our second goal, I really thought we would cruise home 3 or 4 nil. 

50 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Gold.

Vertonghen should have seen red for Spurs, and if the Cahill red is correct, then Dier is also a red. Either way, that equates to one more bad one, either saying Cahill should have got yellow or Dier also getting red. 

Everton should have had 1 red for the rake on Fabregas (Gueye I think)

We had the clearest handball penalty not given against Leicester by Maguire. Blocked a goalbound header with his outstretched arms. 

There was also a Burnley foul (knee high studs up) by, I think, one of their subs - Arfield?)  quite late on that was a blatant red but only earned a yellow. 

I make it 3 definite reds not given (Vertonghen, Arfield? and Gueye), one possible red not given (Dier) and one nailed on pen (McGuire) not given.

In 4 matches.

13 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

There was also a Burnley foul (knee high studs up) by, I think, one of their subs - Arfield?)  quite late on that was a blatant red but only earned a yellow. 

I make it 3 definite reds not given (Vertonghen, Arfield? and Gueye), one possible red not given (Dier) and one nailed on pen (McGuire) not given.

In 4 matches.

They are only Reds if you accept the Cahill was Red, and that the way refs run game 1 must be consistently held for the rest of the season.  Or just accept (like all the press) that the Cahill Red was an error, and take it from there.

If you think we have been hard done by already, you are in for a tough tough season.

4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

They are only Reds if you accept the Cahill was Red, and that the way refs run game 1 must be consistently held for the rest of the season.  Or just accept (like all the press) that the Cahill Red was an error, and take it from there.

If you think we have been hard done by already, you are in for a tough tough season.

The non-red for the Burnley foul after the Cahill red shows that the reffing isn't consistent within a single game, let alone an entire season.

30 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

The non-red for the Burnley foul after the Cahill red shows that the reffing isn't consistent within a single game, let alone an entire season.

Yeah - the Cahill decision was wrong - we got that.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

In 4 matches.

Plus the red not given to Bellerin for a very dangerous studs up challenge during the Community Shield whilst we had a sending off for a less dangerous challenge. 

Zoowraa   

But late catching up with the 90mins on this game.

Good performance in what is a tricky place to go to. Thought it should have been more comfortable than it was in the end. Impressed with the new lads, Bakayoko looking more effective than I expected so far, think his ceiling is higher than I probably gave credit for. Excited by watching him progress. Morata looking a very intelligent striker the more I watch him, again I think there is loads more to come from him. Although he is much taller and physically imposing, something about Morata style of play reminds me a little of David Villa. Be happy if he proves as good a man player as Villa was. Alonso has turned into a very valuable and influential player for us.

Good result and solid all round performance. Looks like there is a load of improvement to come and this team is at about 7/10 at present but the room to grow as a unit looks exciting for the future.

Ham   

Michael I know you're uncomfortable with this subject but it's being discussed widely outside of here .

29 minutes ago, Ham said:

Michael I know you're uncomfortable with this subject but it's being discussed widely outside of here .

Sorry for the edit, but you really didn't leave me with much choice. Let me make it clear - this (either a match day thread, or the Morata thread) isn't the place to discuss this subject. It's not about me being 'comfortable', or otherwise. Agreeing, or disagreeing. If this is being discussed 'widely' outside of here as you say, then great, those are the places to discuss it.