• Current Donation Goals

Sign in to follow this  
Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea Sign Davide Zappacosta

zappacosta-signs.img.png

Zappacosta signs

NEWSTHU 31 AUG 2017

We have today completed the signing of Davide Zappacosta from Torino.

The 25-year-old can play at wing-back or full-back and has been capped by Italy. He has signed a four-year deal at Stamford Bridge.

Zappacosta said: ‘It is a dream for me to join Chelsea and play in the Premier League. I am very excited to be here and start working with the team. I hope I can show my quality to the coach, my team-mates and the supporters.’

Technical director Michael Emenalo added: ‘Davide is a player of international calibre who Antonio Conte knows well and we have been aware of for some time. We are very pleased to be able to bring him to the club and believe he will become an important member of the squad.’

Zappacosta possesses a combination of defensive and attacking qualities and is a fine crosser of the ball from a wide-right position. His energy and stamina enable him to get forward for 90 minutes and recover quickly when defending. He is quick and composed in one-on-one situations and times his tackles well.

Zappacosta began his career at Italian fourth-tier side Isola Liri. After signing for Atalanta in Serie A, he then enjoyed regular first team football with Avellino, who purchased co-ownership rights to the player.

He returned to Atalanta and became a first team regular there in 2014/15, with his performances earning him a move to Torino, one of the historically most successful clubs in Italy.

An impressive season in Turin led Conte to call up Zappacosta to the Italy national squad ahead of Euro 2016, and he was named on their back-up list for the tournament. He subsequently made his maiden international appearance last season and has now been capped four times by the Azzurri.

Welcome to Chelsea, Davide!

Sir   

Got to say, given he's an Italian international, and at a very good age, the price is pretty exceptional given some of the standards we have seen. Good signing. And again, very good price which is good to see.

Sea foot   

Looking forward to see what he has to offer. Personally didn't know anything about him before today but like the fact that Conte called him up to the Italian squad. 

Welcome Davide. Play for the badge and we will love you.

xCELERYx   

Quite happy with this signing. He'll fit in here quite well and is already familiar with Conte which is an added bonus. Works hard and can get up and down the right flank all day. More attack natured than being a defensively lynchpin, so that will be one area he'll need to improve on now that he's joined and going to be playing at a higher level. As already been noted, he's a strong crosser of the ball and that is going to be a big bonus for us now that we've got a striker in Morata who is actually dangerous in the air once inside the box. 

Hasn't been a standout player in Serie A over the years, so worth keeping expectations in check in that regard. And he hasn't had a great start to the season this year in the two games he's played with Torino. That aside though, I think he'll complement Moses well at RWB and will give us a genuine alternative with a bit more end product in the final third. Also worth noting, and despite his lack of goals, he has a pretty solid strike on him too. Playing in a WB role may mean we'll see this being utilised more.

Unexpected signing but welcomed nonetheless.

xCELERYx   

Davide Zappacosta describes his move to Chelsea as “a dream” after officially signing from Torino.

The Italian international has joined the Blues for a fee believed to be around €28m, with another potential €2m in bonuses.

“It is a dream for me to join Chelsea and play in the Premier League,” Zappacosta told his new club’s official website.

“I am very excited to be here and start working with the team. I hope I can show my quality to the coach, my team-mates and the supporters.”

Zappacosta will join up with former Italy CT Antonio Conte, and technical director Michael Emenalo hinted that was a crucial factor in getting the deal done.

“Davide is a player of international calibre who Antonio Conte knows well and we have been aware of for some time.

“We are very pleased to be able to bring him to the club and believe he will become an important member of the squad.”

Genuinely surprised we aren't trying to sign more Italian players and make better use of Conte's reputation in those parts and knowledge. All the more reason why allowing a manager to target his own players can make things as little easier for all. 

2 hours ago, Holymoly said:

For he shall be called Frank. Uncle Frank.

Right - we can't call him Dave, it would be too confusing.

Necessity is the Mother of Invention and we need another 4 of 5 Mothers.

Holymoly   

I have a friend who used to live next door to Frank Zappa's sister.....á propos to nothing tbh.